public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
From: Simon Kallweit <simon.kallweit@intefo.ch>
To: John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk>
Cc: ecos-devel@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: lwIP port status
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:33:00 -0000	[thread overview]

John Dallaway schrieb:
> Hi Simon
>
> Simon Kallweit wrote:
>

>> lwip is close to the 1.3.1 release, and I think this will be the time
>> to get the new port into the eCos repository, so any testing is highly
>> appreciated.
>>

> lwIP 1.3.1 was finally released today.

Yes, I've read it on the mailing list.

> In view of the known issues with the older eCos lwIP 1.1.1 port and the
> many fixes to the master lwIP sources over the intervening years, I'm
> keen to get this committed to eCos CVS as soon as possible.
>
> Having reviewed the lwIP ChangeLog, I think it makes sense to simply
> replace the older lwIP port in the eCos CVS trunk (tagging the
> repository before the commit). There are known issues with lwIP PPP
> which need to be addressed upstream. In the meantime, eCos users wishing
> to work with lwIP PPP should be better off hacking on the lwIP 1.3.1
> stack where necessary rather than using the older port.

I think this is the way to go. There is already some hacking on PPP in
my port, which could lead to some confusion, as it is not identical to
the lwIP codebase. Also it does only work in a polled environment like
mine, so it might not be much use of the broad community. I don't know
how we should proceed with this?

> What is the status of your testing of your lwIP 1.3.x port now? Are you
> comfortable that it is stable under heavy CPU and network loads?

Well, the tests I have been doing were successful. But I could only test
on the synthetic target as my hardware lacks ethernet support. Some
broader testing on real hardware would be great.

I'll merge the latest changes from the lwip 1.3.1 release and make a new
release for review and testing.

Simon