public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* Re: Configtool segfaults
       [not found] <4E8C5768.8090804@mailbox.tu-dresden.de>
@ 2011-10-07 15:06 ` Martin Laabs
From: Martin Laabs @ 2011-10-07 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Developer List

Hello,

  I compiled the configtool on my amd64 system (freebsd). After changing some
  int* casts to intptr_t compiling the configtool worked. (Any interests in
  the diff?)
  However - starting the configtool out of a long directory lead to a
  segfault. I traced down the problem to the String::vFormat function

void String::vFormat(LPCTSTR  pszFormat, va_list marker)
{
   for(int nLength=100;nLength;) {
     TCHAR *buf=new TCHAR[1+nLength];
     int n=_vsntprintf(buf, nLength, pszFormat, marker );
     if(-1==n){
       nLength*=2;  // NT behavior
     } else if (n<nLength){
       string::operator=(buf);
       nLength=0;   // trigger exit from loop
     } else {
       nLength=n+1; // UNIX behavior generally, or NT behavior when buffer
size exactly matches required length
     }
     delete [] buf;

When the for-loop runs the second time (which occurs when the output string
is longer that 100 chars) the _vsntprintf function is called a second time.
This is not allowed because the va_list argument marker has  already
consumed during the first call.

Anyway - the coding style of this function seems to be somewhat strange.
Why using the "nLength=0;   // trigger exit from loop" instead of calling
exit? However - I'm not very familiar with c++ so it might be the better
way to exit that loop.

Greetings,
  Martin Laabs

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-10-07 15:06 UTC | newest]