public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
* Problem setting up an ISR for a K60 PORT
@ 2013-02-19  0:13 Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2013-02-19  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-devel

I am struggling to setup an ISR/DSR for a PORT on the K60. My goal is to get an ISR/DSR when Pin 19 of PORTA transitions from high to low. This is pin PTA19 of the device.

My non-working code and complete code below.

What the code tries to do is setup PORTA PIN19 as input. Then take the PCR register and set the interrupt to work off a falling edge.

Then create the ISR/DSR.

When I toggle the pin, nothing happens.

FYI the hardware works with MQX, so I know the hardware is ok. I use it the same way under MQX where I get an ISR from a negative edge. And I have put a scope on it to make sure there is an edge. So I am quite sure the problem is the code.

This code was generated by trying to understand the Kinetis code, but things were not clear to me. Some macros use __pin to mean different things. So this is my best guess.

Does anyone know how to do this?

PORT SETUP CODE
================

    cyghwr_hal_kinetis_port_t *port_p;

	CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_GPIO_PIN_DDR_IN(ALERT_PORT, ALERT_PIN);

    // Get address for PORTA
    port_p = Ports[0];

    // 0xA means interrupt on falling edge.
    // Read modify write PCR
    port_p->pcr[ALERT_PIN] =
    		(port_p->pcr[ALERT_PIN] & 0xFFF0FFFF) |
			(0xA << 16);

    // Create an ISR/DSR for PORTA.
    // Assuming the priority is what the DSR will run at.
    // No data passed.
	cyg_interrupt_create(
			CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_PORTA, // Vector
			3, 							// Priority
			(cyg_addrword_t)0, 			// Data
			alert_isr, 					// ISR
			alert_dsr, 					// DSR
			&alert_handle,		 		// Handle
			&alert_interrupt);			// INTR
	cyg_thread_suspend(cyg_thread_self());
}

ALL CODE
=========

#ifndef ALERT_H_
#define ALERT_H_

#include <cyg/kernel/kapi.h>
#include <cyg/hal/var_io_gpio.h>
#include <cyg/hal/drv_api.h>
#include <cyg/hal/var_io.h>

#define ALERT_PORT A
#define ALERT_PIN 19

extern void start_alert(cyg_addrword_t data);

#endif

#include "alert.h"

cyg_handle_t alert_handle;
cyg_interrupt alert_interrupt;

cyghwr_hal_kinetis_port_t * const Ports[] = {
    CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTA_P, CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTB_P,
    CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTC_P, CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTD_P,
    CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTE_P
};

cyg_uint32 alert_isr( cyg_vector_t vector,
                              cyg_addrword_t data
)
{
	return CYG_ISR_HANDLED | CYG_ISR_CALL_DSR;
}

void alert_dsr( cyg_vector_t vector,
                        cyg_ucount32 count,
                        cyg_addrword_t data
                      )
{

}

void pmbus_alert_callback(void)
{

}

[...]

* Re: Problem setting up an ISR for a K60 PORT
@ 2013-02-19  8:34 ` Lambrecht Jürgen
From: Lambrecht Jürgen @ 2013-02-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones; +Cc: ecos-devel, ecos

Hi Michael,

first of all, I think your message should be sent to ecos-discuss
instead (so I put it in cc).

I put some comments below - it is a long time ago I coded ISR/DSR, so I
just looked to some working code of ours to compare.

On 02/19/2013 01:12 AM, Michael Jones wrote:
> I am struggling to setup an ISR/DSR for a PORT on the K60. My goal is to get an ISR/DSR when Pin 19 of PORTA transitions from high to low. This is pin PTA19 of the device.
>
> My non-working code and complete code below.
>
> What the code tries to do is setup PORTA PIN19 as input. Then take the PCR register and set the interrupt to work off a falling edge.
>
> Then create the ISR/DSR.
>
> When I toggle the pin, nothing happens.
>
> FYI the hardware works with MQX, so I know the hardware is ok. I use it the same way under MQX where I get an ISR from a negative edge. And I have put a scope on it to make sure there is an edge. So I am quite sure the problem is the code.
>
> This code was generated by trying to understand the Kinetis code, but things were not clear to me. Some macros use __pin to mean different things. So this is my best guess.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> PORT SETUP CODE
> ================
>
>      cyghwr_hal_kinetis_port_t *port_p;
>
> 	CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_GPIO_PIN_DDR_IN(ALERT_PORT, ALERT_PIN);
>
>      // Get address for PORTA
>      port_p = Ports[0];
>
>      // 0xA means interrupt on falling edge.
>      // Read modify write PCR
>      port_p->pcr[ALERT_PIN] =
>      		(port_p->pcr[ALERT_PIN]&  0xFFF0FFFF) |
> 			(0xA<<  16);
>
>      // Create an ISR/DSR for PORTA.
>      // Assuming the priority is what the DSR will run at.
>      // No data passed.
> 	cyg_interrupt_create(
> 			CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_PORTA, // Vector
> 			3, 							// Priority
> 			(cyg_addrword_t)0, 			// Data
> 			alert_isr, 					// ISR
> 			alert_dsr, 					// DSR
> 			&alert_handle,		 		// Handle
> 			&alert_interrupt);			// INTR
> 	cyg_thread_suspend(cyg_thread_self());
After our 'interrupt_create', we also have those calls (we use IRQ2
instead of your PORTA):
   cyg_interrupt_attach(t_intrhandle);
   cyg_interrupt_configure(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2, TLV_FALSE, TLV_FALSE);
   cyg_interrupt_acknowledge(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);
   cyg_interrupt_unmask(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);

Why do you call 'cyg_thread_suspend...' ? I do not see code that creates
a thread. And when I create a thread, I do cyg_thread_create(...);
cyg_thread_resume(..);.

Why do you need a thread when your code is run by interrupts?
> }
>
> ALL CODE
> =========
>
> #ifndef ALERT_H_
> #define ALERT_H_
>
> #include<cyg/kernel/kapi.h>
> #include<cyg/hal/var_io_gpio.h>
> #include<cyg/hal/drv_api.h>
> #include<cyg/hal/var_io.h>
>
> #define ALERT_PORT A
> #define ALERT_PIN 19
>
> extern void start_alert(cyg_addrword_t data);
>
> #endif
>
> #include "alert.h"
>
> cyg_handle_t alert_handle;
> cyg_interrupt alert_interrupt;
>
> cyghwr_hal_kinetis_port_t * const Ports[] = {
>      CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTA_P, CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTB_P,
>      CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTC_P, CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTD_P,
>      CYGHWR_HAL_KINETIS_PORTE_P
> };
>
> cyg_uint32 alert_isr( cyg_vector_t vector,
>                                cyg_addrword_t data
> )
> {
> 	return CYG_ISR_HANDLED | CYG_ISR_CALL_DSR;
No need for:
   cyg_interrupt_mask(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);
   cyg_interrupt_acknowledge(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);
?
> }
>
> void alert_dsr( cyg_vector_t vector,
>                          cyg_ucount32 count,
>                          cyg_addrword_t data
>                        )
> {
I guess you still need to add code here.
No need for this at the end:
   cyg_interrupt_unmask(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);
?

I hope this helps. Kind regards,
Jürgen

--
Jürgen Lambrecht
R&D Associate

* Re: Problem setting up an ISR for a K60 PORT
@ 2013-02-19 14:51   ` Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2013-02-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lambrecht Jürgen; +Cc: ecos-devel, ecos

> After our 'interrupt_create', we also have those calls (we use IRQ2
> instead of your PORTA):
>   cyg_interrupt_attach(t_intrhandle);
>   cyg_interrupt_configure(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2, TLV_FALSE, TLV_FALSE);
>   cyg_interrupt_acknowledge(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);
>   cyg_interrupt_unmask(CYGNUM_HAL_INTERRUPT_IRQ2);
>
> Why do you call 'cyg_thread_suspend...' ? I do not see code that creates
> a thread. And when I create a thread, I do cyg_thread_create(...);
> cyg_thread_resume(..);.
>
> Why do you need a thread when your code is run by interrupts?

I am creating all my threads from cyg_user_start. Each "task" (thread) has its own file and interface (psuedo OO). The overall app has multiple threads, one of them handling telemetry, and a higher priority one handling ALERTB problems using a PMBus (I2C). Once the interrupt works and the DSR is called, the DSR code will do an ARA (get addresses vis I2C), get STATUS_WORD for all address that ALERTed, and then send events so that the alert thread can respond by interacting over the PMBus. I just suspended the thread until I get the ISR to work, then I will add then event and processing code.

I could do all the work in the DSR as long as I can call I2C from the DSR. However, I am porting an application from MQX and maintaining its structure, and in MQX I don't have a DSR, so in that version the ARA and read of STATUS_WORD is all in the task code.

I tried making some I2C calls from a DSR by using a timer, and the code locked up somewhere. I did not have time to track down the problem. It could have gotten in trouble on a mutex, in the driver, etc. So I may have to put all the code in the task/thread anyway until I have a better understanding of what code can execute in the DSR. I just have to dig through the eCos Ref Manual.

Seeing your code, brought something to mind. I had assumed that the interrupt was enabled in the Kinetis HAL and all I had to do was configure the port. Perhaps that is not the case. I'll try to use your example and see what happens.

Thanks