public inbox for ecos-devel@sourceware.org
From: Bart Veer <bartv@ecoscentric.com>
To: Uwe Kindler <uwe_kindler@web.de>
Cc: ecos-devel@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Strange __cxa_pure_virtual problem
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:37:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    <snip>

    Uwe> As soon as I declare a static object of a class with pure
    Uwe> virtual functions, a lot of __cxa_... stuff is pulled in from
    Uwe> libsupc++. This does not depend on uSTL package.

    Uwe> If the static object is a string from uSTL package, the
    Uwe> __cxa_pure_virtual() function from libsupc++ is used. If the
    Uwe> class declaration is part of the application then the
    Uwe> __cxa_pure_virtual() from infra/pure.cxx is used.

    Uwe> Do you have any suggestions how to continue with uSTL package
    Uwe> integration?

The underlying problem seems to be that the compiler is generating
calls to __cxa_guard_release() for reasons that are still not clear.
According to jifl's posting of 12 August that should only happen when
compiling with -fexceptions (possibly accidentally, by removing
-fno-exceptions for the application makefile). Everything else
including pulling in __cxa_pure_virtual() from libsupc++ is a side
effect of that.

So you need to figure out what __cxa_guard_release() is for and under
what circumstances the compiler will issue calls to that function.
Then we can figure out how to proceed.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                                   eCos Configuration Architect
eCosCentric Limited    The eCos experts      http://www.ecoscentric.com/