* [ECOS] Memory map setting?
@ 2003-12-20 16:35 jhfami
From: jhfami @ 2003-12-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi.
I'm starting to port redboot to my custom board(cpu sh7709).
To set memory map for the board, I found serveral files that have memory map
information.
Most of files are mentioned as 'generated'.
Which files is the source of the files?
then how can I generated the other files from that file?

* Re: [ECOS] Memory map setting?
@ 2003-12-24  7:53 ` Leandro Fanzone
From: Leandro Fanzone @ 2003-12-24  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jhfami; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Well, I have the same problem. As far as I understand from the FAQ
(http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom-serv/ecos/cache/93.html), once there was
a program to do this, called Memory Layout Tool, but it no longer
exists. So you have to touch three files by hand: mlt_*.mlt, mlt_*.ldi
and mlt_*.h. Apparently nobody uses the first file (according to
hal-porting-platform.html, section "Layout Files"), it was intended for
the tool, and its structure is obscure to me. The other two are pretty
straightforward, and related to the linker you're using. There's a
little documentation at modifying-the-memory-layout.html, in the User
Guide doc.
In any case, I'm having a hard time modifying those, due probably to my
ignorance of the memory management. My problem is that malloc only can
alloc, in the FLOPPY model for i386, only some 150k. As I have two megs
on board, I wanted to move the heap to the upper second meg, or better,
to move the code up there, and leave the lower 640k to the heap and the
data, but I couldn't, the linker will always complain that either
vectors generate a "relocation truncated to fit", or if I can link at
all, it won't boot. Any pointers on this, appreciated.

Leandro Fanzone.

@ 2003-12-24 12:14   ` Eric de Jong
From: Eric de Jong @ 2003-12-24 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

>> So you have to touch three files by hand: mlt_*.mlt, mlt_*.ldi
>> and mlt_*.h.

Asuming this is also valdid for the 386 (I uses the arm EB40A configuration),
the above files generates a linker file called target.ld which is then used to
do the actually link.
You can find that file in your xxx_INSTALL directory (xxx is your project name,
say redboot_install)
Modifying the target.ld file is easier, as this is a file without macros.

After editing the file, just go to the xxx_BUILD directory and do a 'make'.

Good luck and merry christmas to all,

Eric