From: Nacho de los Ríos Tormo <irios@proin.es>
To: <ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: RE: [ECOS] ARM debugger with ICE for ARM target
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On the subjectof JTAG debuggers, does anybody have information on what
exactly does ARM's embedded ICE have inside?

A parallel to JTAG converter is not really a big deal; in fact, Altera sells
one for programming its CPLD devices at a cost below $100, which makes the
$1500 that ARM charges seem a tad expensive.

Intel has an application note detailing how to program standard Flash memory
chips that reside in the bus of a microprocessor that has a JTAG interface
describes how to build one with just a couple of standard logic ICs, and
includes some simple code to dump the programming commands and data to the
processor's bus via JTAG. I've seen this done with a 386EX and 4 Mbit flash
devices, and though the speed won't ruin your hairdo, it was still pretty
good.

Anybody knows where to start looking to develop a DIY Embedded ICE for ARM?
It would make for a nice Open Hardware project ...

Nacho de los Ríos
irios@proin.es