* [ECOS] ARM debugger with ICE for ARM target
@ 1999-11-10 21:34 Yanbing Yu
From: Yanbing Yu @ 1999-11-10 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I am new to eCos, and am evaluating eCos for our new ARM based
platform.  I downloaded all the necessary tools, compiled the
libraries and test programs, and ran successfully on my AEB-1
board through gdb.

Now I am wondering if I can use the ARM debugger with an ICE
to download and debug eCos programs to the target through
JTAG port?  Since the executables are ELF files, which ARM
debugger supports, I should be able to use it instead of GDB.
But the ARM debugger crashed when I did that.  Why?

Please help. Many thanks.

--
Yanbing Yu

* Re: [ECOS] ARM debugger with ICE for ARM target
@ 1999-11-11  6:27 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 1999-11-11  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yanbing Yu; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 11:27:39PM -0600, Yanbing Yu wrote:

> I am new to eCos, and am evaluating eCos for our new ARM based
> platform.  I downloaded all the necessary tools, compiled the
> libraries and test programs, and ran successfully on my AEB-1
> board through gdb.
>
> Now I am wondering if I can use the ARM debugger with an ICE
> to download and debug eCos programs to the target through
> JTAG port?

I don't know.  You can also build coff format executables using the
Gnu toolchain if that helps.

Gdb does support the RDI protocol used to talk to JTAG interface boxes
for the ARM.  I've used gdb with the ARM Embedded ICE and the EPI
Jeeni.  The latter has an ethernet port, so downloading is way faster.

I've submitted several patches to improve RDI support, so you should
either get GDB 4.18 sources and apply the patches, or you should get
the CVS snapshot of gdb (which I think has my patches merged into it
at this point)..

> Since the executables are ELF files, which ARM
> debugger supports, I should be able to use it instead of GDB.
> But the ARM debugger crashed when I did that.  Why?

Don't know -- I use gdb.

--
Grant Edwards
Principal Engineer

* RE: [ECOS] ARM debugger with ICE for ARM target
@ 1999-11-12  3:27   ` Nacho de los Ríos Tormo
From: Nacho de los Ríos Tormo @ 1999-11-12  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On the subjectof JTAG debuggers, does anybody have information on what
exactly does ARM's embedded ICE have inside?

A parallel to JTAG converter is not really a big deal; in fact, Altera sells
one for programming its CPLD devices at a cost below $100, which makes the
$1500 that ARM charges seem a tad expensive.

Intel has an application note detailing how to program standard Flash memory
chips that reside in the bus of a microprocessor that has a JTAG interface
describes how to build one with just a couple of standard logic ICs, and
includes some simple code to dump the programming commands and data to the
processor's bus via JTAG. I've seen this done with a 386EX and 4 Mbit flash
devices, and though the speed won't ruin your hairdo, it was still pretty
good.

Anybody knows where to start looking to develop a DIY Embedded ICE for ARM?
It would make for a nice Open Hardware project ...

Nacho de los Ríos
irios@proin.es