* [ECOS] Redhat eCos Installed in WIN95
@ 2001-07-03  7:33 diem.b.dang
From: diem.b.dang @ 2001-07-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi ;

Is it obligated that eCos from Redhat should be installed in WIN NT or WIN 2000
?

What is the limitation if it's installed in WIN 9X ?

Thanks,
Diem

* Re: [ECOS] Redhat eCos Installed in WIN95
@ 2001-07-03  7:39 ` Julian Smart
From: Julian Smart @ 2001-07-03  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diem.b.dang, ecos-discuss

At 09:32 AM 7/3/01 -0500, diem.b.dang@delphiauto.com wrote:

>Hi ;
>
>Is it obligated that eCos from Redhat should be installed in WIN NT or WIN
>2000
>?
>
>What is the limitation if it's installed in WIN 9X ?

The original Configuration Tool doesn't run under Windows 9x (specifically,
it fails in TCL when saving) but the new Configuration Tool from 2.02 now
works under Win98 (Win95 hasn't been tested). The Run Tests dialog of the
new Configtool will work from 2.03, to be released in due course.

Regards,

Julian
--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Unit 200 Rustat House, 62 Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. CB1
7EG Tel: +44 (1223) 271063

* Re: [ECOS] Redhat eCos Installed in WIN95
@ 2001-07-03  7:58   ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2001-07-03  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diem.b.dang; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    >> Is it obligated that eCos from Redhat should be installed in
    >> WIN NT or WIN 2000 ?
    >>
    >> What is the limitation if it's installed in WIN 9X ?

The main problem is with cygwin, which is a prerequisite for the
compiler, gdb, etc. For some people these things work fine under
win9x, at least most of the time. For other people it fails, in a
variety of ways. The official position according to the cygwin faq @
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC64

"Windows 9x: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of
competition."

There may be more recent information in the archives of the cygwin
mailing lists, see http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ . There may also
be issues with the eCos tools: because win9x is not officially
supported, these tools receive little or no testing under win9x.

Bart

* RE: [ECOS] Redhat eCos Installed in WIN95
@ 2001-07-04  7:44     ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-04  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv, diem.b.dang; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I found that the only way to get the development tools working in Win9x
is to compile under Win2000 and then tar.gz them up and use them in
Win9x.