From: "Tang Yi" <yitang@itee.uq.edu.au>
To: <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Cc: "Paul Logothetis" <pml@itee.uq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Any shell available?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 04:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Gary Thomas,

Thank you for replying me.

But I don't quite agree with you. Since some of the guys in our group is
deeply involved in uclinux and from their point of view, a shell is quite
important for embeded linux systems.

And it provide:

1. The ability to interact with the system in real-time. This is useful for
checking the system status, experimenting, testing, copying files into the
system, etc.

2. A lot of shells can also be used as a programming language (e.g. bash).
The programs are usually quite simple (e.g. deciding what programs to run at
system startup), but can also get quite complex.

Maybe your view is true for the traditional embedded systems, but for some
fancy embedded systems nowadays, they do focus a lot on the interface
between humans and machines.

And I found ecos provide an package which support the GUI interface of
microwindows, maybe that's a good substite for simple shell. But I wonder
whether all the targets support microwindows?

Regards,
Yi Tang