* [ECOS] File System?
@ 2000-01-11  9:13 Maurizio Martignano
From: Maurizio Martignano @ 2000-01-11  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello
everybody,
    is there
a file system available for eCos?
TIA,
M.
Martignano

* Re: [ECOS] File System?
@ 2000-01-31  2:48 Jay Lepreau
From: Jay Lepreau @ 2000-01-31  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov; +Cc: Maurizio Martignano, ecos-discuss

Hi Jesper et al,

> But they are probably also GPLd then. This may be a problem for some
> people since eCos is linked to the application code and thus require
> the application code to be GPLd as well.

True.  As our copyright notice says, if the GPL on code that we wrote
is a problem for someone, come talk to us about it-- maybe just buy us
a beer!  Obviously, we can't change any GPL on code we didn't write
(eg Linux filesystems), but of course the BSD ffs is not GPL'ed.

Jay Lepreau
Flux Research Group, University of Utah

* Re: [ECOS] File System?
@ 2000-01-31  0:14 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-01-31  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Lepreau; +Cc: Maurizio Martignano, ecos-discuss

Jay> File systems in the OSKit's current bag of components include all
Jay> the Linux-supported filesystems (ext2, msdos, vfat, and iso9660
Jay> have been tested), the standard BSD "ffs" filesystem, and a
Jay> simple memory filesys.  Since the OSKit wraps essentially
Jay> unchanged code from the original OS's (except for the memory fs),
Jay> its file systems are more reliable and speedy than if we'd been
Jay> foolish enough to reimplement them.

But they are probably also GPLd then. This may be a problem for some
people since eCos is linked to the application code and thus require
the application code to be GPLd as well.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] File System?
@ 2000-01-30 18:31 Jay Lepreau
From: Jay Lepreau @ 2000-01-30 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maurizio Martignano; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>    is there a file system available for eCos?

The OSKit ( http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/ ) would probably be a
good place from which to grab a filesys.  Since the main point of the
OSKit is to produce components that are easily usable in *other*
operating systems, it should be relatively easy to get one of its many
file systems to work with eCos.  You'd have to write the glue code to
map the normalized OSKit execution environment to the eCos one; there
are examples and lots of docs, and we'd help out if needed.

File systems in the OSKit's current bag of components include all the
Linux-supported filesystems (ext2, msdos, vfat, and iso9660 have been
tested), the standard BSD "ffs" filesystem, and a simple memory
filesys.  Since the OSKit wraps essentially unchanged code from the
original OS's (except for the memory fs), its file systems are more
reliable and speedy than if we'd been foolish enough to reimplement
them.

Jay Lepreau
Flux Research Group
Dept of Computer Science
University of Utah

* Re: [ECOS] File System?
@ 2000-01-27 10:57 ` Paul Beskeen
From: Paul Beskeen @ 2000-01-27 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> Hello everybody,
>     is there a file system available for eCos?
> TIA,
> M. Martignano

Hi Maurizio,

Currently there are no open source file systems supported by eCos. This is
certainly something that we intend to remedy in the near future. Third
parties such as EBS (www.etcbin.com) can provide Flash, PCMCIA and IDE fs
support that may meet your needs.

Paul.

* [ECOS] File System?