* [ECOS] ARM SDT & eCos
@ 2001-06-21  1:37 Niclas Anderberg
From: Niclas Anderberg @ 2001-06-21  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello again!

I am one of many, many people who want to use the ARM Multi-Ice to debug
eCos. We have been on the phone with many companies, including ARM
themselves (RedHat is by far the hardest company to get hold of :), and
there are obviously some legal hassles which prevents RedHat from releasing
the multi-ice-gdb-server.exe file. It could be resolved in weeks some said,
but we don't have that kind of time.

So a different solution would be nice. We were thinking of using the ARM SDK
compiler and linker to compile eCos from scratch. In an ideal world this
would work, but my guess is that reality will show otherwise. What i would
like to do is replace the GNU tools with the ARM SDK tools so that I can
debug eCos with the Multi-Ice. Anyone has any experience in this matter, or
enough experience to just give me a flat no?

Thanks in advance

Niclas Anderberg

* Re: [ECOS] ARM SDT & eCos
@ 2001-06-21  4:52 ` David Airlie
From: David Airlie @ 2001-06-21  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niclas Anderberg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> So a different solution would be nice. We were thinking of using the ARM SDK
> compiler and linker to compile eCos from scratch. In an ideal world this
> would work, but my guess is that reality will show otherwise. What i would
> like to do is replace the GNU tools with the ARM SDK tools so that I can
> debug eCos with the Multi-Ice. Anyone has any experience in this matter, or
> enough experience to just give me a flat no?

I'd go with the flat no, but I gave up quickly at the time :-)

steps:
	make sure ARM compiler supports init sections and C++ constructer
init stuff (am I right here??)
	re-write all assembler code to use ARM assembler.
	compile and link..

as I said I gave up and bought the EPI Jeeni, if someone else does it I'd
love to see it though..

Dave.

--
      David Airlie, Software Engineer, Parthus Technologies plc.,
       Mary Rosse Centre, National Tech Park, Limerick, Ireland.

* Re: [ECOS] ARM SDT & eCos
@ 2001-06-21  5:16 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-21  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niclas Anderberg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Niclas Anderberg wrote:

> So a different solution would be nice. We were thinking of using the ARM SDK
> compiler and linker to compile eCos from scratch. In an ideal world this
> would work, but my guess is that reality will show otherwise. What i would
> like to do is replace the GNU tools with the ARM SDK tools so that I can
> debug eCos with the Multi-Ice. Anyone has any experience in this matter, or
> enough experience to just give me a flat no?

This just came up! Follow the thread starting at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2001-06/msg00635.html

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* Re: [ECOS] ARM SDT & eCos
@ 2001-06-22  0:53   ` Stefano Costa
From: Stefano Costa @ 2001-06-22  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Airlie; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 21 Jun 2001, at 12:49, David Airlie wrote:

> > So a different solution would be nice. We were thinking of using the
> > ARM SDK compiler and linker to compile eCos from scratch. In an
> > ideal world this would work, but my guess is that reality will show
> > otherwise. What i would like to do is replace the GNU tools with the
> > ARM SDK tools so that I can debug eCos with the Multi-Ice. Anyone
> > has any experience in this matter, or enough experience to just give
> > me a flat no?
>
> I'd go with the flat no, but I gave up quickly at the time :-)
>
> steps:
>  make sure ARM compiler supports init sections and C++ constructer
> init stuff (am I right here??)
>  re-write all assembler code to use ARM assembler.
>  compile and link..
>
> as I said I gave up and bought the EPI Jeeni, if someone else does it
> I'd love to see it though..
>
> Dave.
>

> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Niclas Anderberg
> >

> --
>       David Airlie, Software Engineer, Parthus Technologies plc.,
>        Mary Rosse Centre, National Tech Park, Limerick, Ireland.
>    t: +353-61-508116 / f: +353-61-508101 / David.Airlie@parthus.com

Wiggler from Macraigor is also a much cheaper Jtag Emulator,
without Ethernet or serial line connection but perfectly functional
with Insight for base debugging (we own also a Jeeni, and see the
difference, but as a second buy Wiggler is good). Just take into
account that the hours spent porting eCOS to ARM SDT will cost
much more than a brand new Insight-compatible emulator!!!
bye- Stefano
BlueWind                Electronic Design
I-31033 Castelfranco Veneto (TREVISO)
Via Steffani 7/B
VOICE   +39 0 423 723431
FAX     +39 0 423 744738
MOBILE  +39 335 6565749
http://www.bluewind.it

* Re: [ECOS] ARM SDT & eCos
@ 2001-06-22  9:04     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-22  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefano.costa; +Cc: David Airlie, ecos-discuss

Stefano Costa wrote:

> Wiggler from Macraigor is also a much cheaper Jtag Emulator,
> without Ethernet or serial line connection but perfectly functional
> with Insight for base debugging (we own also a Jeeni, and see the
> difference, but as a second buy Wiggler is good). Just take into
> account that the hours spent porting eCOS to ARM SDT will cost
> much more than a brand new Insight-compatible emulator!!!

Just a warning though: I believe wiggler support is going to be removed
from GDB (or perhaps it already has been). This is because of the use of
proprietary DLLs. You'll need to ask on the GDB lists though to be sure.