* [ECOS] Re: Can we add the intel npe package to the latest sources? (was Re: [ECOS] Problems programming Intel's J3 Stratoflash chip)
@ 2004-06-11 16:42 Krishna Ganugapati
From: Krishna Ganugapati @ 2004-06-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishna Ganugapati, Mark Salter, lgagne; +Cc: ecos-discuss

see correction on Q 3)
> 3) When Intel says the Redboot do they mean the cvs sources...

should be

When Intel says the Redhat sources do they mean the cvs sources?

From: Mark Salter @ 2004-06-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krishnag; +Cc: lgagne, ecos-discuss

> Hello,
> I'm using the latest cvs sources and building redboot for a custom ixp425
> board. We're using the npes on the ixp425 and have downloaded the npe
> packages from Intel. On reading the instructions from Intel it says that we
> need to download the sources from Redhat(which includes fixes for block lock
> status bits the StrataFlash 28F128J3(C)). Once that is done, we're supposed
> to just add  the npe package to these sources using ecosadmin.tcl.

> My questions:

> 1)I'd like to use the latest cvs sources - I'm integrating some of the pci
> ide support and other stuff.
> Can I  just add the npe package directly to the cvs sources and work off of
> that? Has anyone done this and can vouch for the npe stuff working off their
> cvs built Redboot  images?

This should work, but I haven't done it in a while.

> Note: I was successfully able to add the npe package direct to my anonymous
> cvs tree..(but that doesn't necessarily mean that the two are compatible)

> 2)I've seen a few postings (one from Mark Salter saying that the block lock
> status bits fix for the J3C will be checked in to the latest sources - has
> this been done? I have ye to ssync my source tree - it has been a few months
> now and was wondering whether this has been done?

This is the one I was thinking of:

  2003-10-29  Jonathan Larmour  <jifl@eCosCentric.com>

	* src/flash_unlock_block.c (flash_unlock_block): test lock bit
	explicitly - newer flash parts use the reserved bits in the
	returned data.

> 3) When Intel says the Redboot do they mean the cvs sources...

Probably the tarball in:

   ftp://ftp.ges.redhat.com/private/gnupro-xscale-030422

That source base is fairly old but was in sync with the cvs sources
at one time.

--Mark