* Re: [ECOS] Why the application run on redboot uncorrectly?
@ 2003-11-27  1:53 xie boyan
From: xie boyan @ 2003-11-27  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 1917 bytes --]

> > > I download the hello elf file by using command:
> > >     load -v -h MyHost -m tftp /tftpboot/hello
> > > and it failed by displaying "Abort! Attempt to load ELF data to
address:
> > > 0x00020000 which
> > > is not  in RAM."
> >
> > A little logical thinking is required. "is not in RAM" probably means
> > its trying to load it into ROM. So you have probably built a ROM
> > app. Try building a RAM application.
> >
> >      Andrew
>
>But for the snds platform if nothing is changed 0x20000 is RAM. It should
>be right.
>
>Maybe RedBoot is a RAM version?
>
>Roland

Hi, Roland

My RedBoot is exactly the ROM version and my application is definitely the
RAM version. I have read some earlier archives in mailing list, the same
issue occured but it seems not have a final answer.
This especially seems to be a problem of snds eval board, mybe you can find
out some bugs in the redboot source in the package?

I've tried to enforce the base=0x300000 in the entry of function
load_elf_image() whithin the source file load.c in the redboot source
directory, and the command
      RedBoot> load -v -h MyHost_IP -m tftp /tftpboot/hello
works out. It looks all right because of the screen messages are OK,
especially the memory size which contain the downloaded elf codes exactly
equal to the original elf file size in host. I think this means that the
source of redboot has at least a load base address bug.

The first problem, i.e. the elf load, has been resolved by temporarily
enforcing base=0x300000, but another problem comes up. When I do "GO"
command, the application hello still does not say "Hello !".

--Xie Boyan

* Re: [ECOS] Why the application run on redboot uncorrectly?
@ 2003-11-27 10:55 ` Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2003-11-27 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xie boyan, ecos-discuss

> address:
> > >
> > > A little logical thinking is required. "is not in RAM" probably means
> > > its trying to load it into ROM. So you have probably built a ROM
> > > app. Try building a RAM application.
> > >
> > >      Andrew
> >
> >But for the snds platform if nothing is changed 0x20000 is RAM. It should
> >be right.
> >
> >Maybe RedBoot is a RAM version?
> >
> >Roland
>
> Hi, Roland
>
> My RedBoot is exactly the ROM version and my application is definitely the
> RAM version. I have read some earlier archives in mailing list, the same
> issue occured but it seems not have a final answer.
> This especially seems to be a problem of snds eval board, mybe you can find
> out some bugs in the redboot source in the package?
>
> I've tried to enforce the base=0x300000 in the entry of function
> load_elf_image() whithin the source file load.c in the redboot source
> directory, and the command
>       RedBoot> load -v -h MyHost_IP -m tftp /tftpboot/hello
> works out. It looks all right because of the screen messages are OK,
> especially the memory size which contain the downloaded elf codes exactly
> equal to the original elf file size in host. I think this means that the
> source of redboot has at least a load base address bug.
>
> The first problem, i.e. the elf load, has been resolved by temporarily
> enforcing base=0x300000, but another problem comes up. When I do "GO"
> command, the application hello still does not say "Hello !".

The "Abort! Attempt to load ELF data to address: 0x00020000 which
is not in RAM." message will also be seen when you try to load an
image into RAM that RedBoot is already using.

What RAM does RedBoot report as 'available' when it first runs?

Chris

* Re: [ECOS] Why the application run on redboot uncorrectly?
@ 2003-11-26  9:31   ` Roland Caßebohm
From: Roland Caßebohm @ 2003-11-26  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, xie boyan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-11-26  8:24 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-26  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xie boyan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-11-26  2:23 xie boyan
From: xie boyan @ 2003-11-26  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 1741 bytes --]

>From: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
>To: xie boyan <xieboyan@hotmail.com>
>CC: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Why the application run on redboot uncorrectly?
>Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:34:56 +0100
>
> >           RedBoot> load -v -r -h MyHost -m TFTP -b 0x800040 hello.elf
> > the tftp transportation looks like correct because the informations
> > displayed on screen is normal. Of course my executable application
Hello is
> > under the directory /tftpboot on my host PC.
>
>Read:
>
>http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/download-command.html
>
>-r does not make sense for an elf file. You also don't need -b 0x80040
>with elf files.
>
>      Andrew

Hi, Andrew

I try to do as your instructions, but it also failed.

My template is samsung snds, my toolchain is arm-elf-gcc, my packages
included are :
    ARM comman HAL, Comman HAL, CRC Support, Comman ethernet support,
    ISO C and Posix infrastructure, ISO C library string functions,
Infrastructure,
    RedBoot, Samsung SNDS, Samsung KS32C50000 Ethernet driver, Comman HAL
and the tftp server on my host is in.tftpd which I started by using command
"in.tftpd -l".

I download the hello elf file by using command:
     load -v -h MyHost -m tftp /tftpboot/hello
and it failed by displaying "Abort! Attempt to load ELF data to address:
0x00020000 which
is not  in RAM."

I need your further help.

Bestg Regards!

--boyan xie

* Re: [ECOS] Why the application run on redboot uncorrectly?
@ 2003-11-25 11:00   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-11-25 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xie boyan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> >           RedBoot> load -v -r -h MyHost -m TFTP -b 0x800040 hello.elf
> > the tftp transportation looks like correct because the informations
> > displayed on screen is normal. Of course my executable application Hello is
> > under the directory /tftpboot on my host PC.
>
> Read:
>
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/download-command.html
>
> -r does not make sense for an elf file. You also don't need -b 0x80040
> with elf files.

Also, since you are just starting, use GDB to download and run
programs initially. It's much easier and you will get better feedback
when things go wrong.

* Re: [ECOS] Why the application run on redboot uncorrectly?
@ 2003-11-25  8:35 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-25  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xie boyan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-11-25  1:38 xie boyan