* [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-17 11:58 Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-17 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I retrieved the TCP/IP stack from the CVS server, since it was recommended
that I do so here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/getstart.html

However, no .epk file is included there, which is required according to the
documentation here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tcpip/tcpip.3.html#40207

Where it states that in order to add the net package to the build (I'm using
Linux so I use command line) to do the following

"cd packages
 ./ecosadmin.tcl add net-1.0by.epk"

If there is no "net-1.0by.epk" or ANY .epk file anywhere, what do I do?

Furthermore, if I do the following:

"../ecosadmin.tcl list | grep -i net"

I get the following output:

CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_FLEXANET: current
CYGPKG_NET: current
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_FLEXANET: current
CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_SA11X0_FLEXANET: current

Which seems to indicate that the NET package IS included, yet when I
configure for my target:

"ecosconfig new iq80310
 ecosconfig add net
 ecosconfig tree
 make"

I get the following error:

"At least one network driver framework must be defined!"

But I just want to compile for loopback, I don't care about a driver at this
point.  I should be able to do this according to the documentation here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tcpip/tcpip.3.html#40207

So, what am I doing wrong?  Is this an error in the ecos code or is it a
problem with the newest code in the CVS repository?

Anybody else working with the IQ80310 StrongArm?  Should I drop using CVS for
my source and use more standard packages?  What are the CVS labels that I
should be working with?

Thanks
-Rich

* RE: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-17 13:37 ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-09-17 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich, ecos-discuss

Download the net package from the CVS repository as described here ;)

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html

@ 2001-09-17 15:37   ` Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams, ecos-discuss

I see,

By doing the following:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos -z 9 co -P net

the package is automatically added.  There's just so much to read it's easy
to miss little things.

Well, it compiles now but when I attempt to run my code, it dies.  I'm not
even compiling TCP/IP code either - it just crashes with GDB when I try to
step past the first automatically set breakpoint.

I'm doing the following to get a compiled kernel:

 ecosconfig new iq80310
 ecosconfig add net
 ecosconfig add CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS
 ecosconfig tree
 make

I suspect it's an interaction problem with redboot. Any ideas?

Thanks for the tip in any case,
-Rich

@ 2001-09-18  2:30     ` nicolas lacorne
From: nicolas lacorne @ 2001-09-18  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: Trenton D. Adams, ecos-discuss

Hi ,
Do you use network interface with redboot (and GDB stub)?
In case, if you are not using DHCP, you might check that you you give two
diffirent IP : one for redboot  and
one for eCos kernel.
You may also try do disable GDB stubs, because there are some problems with
them .

Nico

@ 2001-09-18  9:04       ` Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-18  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas.Lacorne, rich; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Hi ,
> Do you use network interface with redboot (and GDB stub)?
> In case, if you are not using DHCP, you might check that you you give two
> diffirent IP : one for redboot  and
> one for eCos kernel.

This may cause problems with the ARP cache in some machines, especially in
switches.

> You may also try do disable GDB stubs, because there are some problems
with
> them .

GDB cannot be used when the TCP/IP is included?  Is this a bug across all
platforms or simply the XScale?  Working without debug capability will slow
down development, are there any known workarounds?

Thanks,
-Rich

@ 2001-09-18 14:34         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Wicks; +Cc: Nicolas.Lacorne, rich, ecos-discuss

Richard Wicks wrote:

> > Hi ,
> > Do you use network interface with redboot (and GDB stub)?
> > In case, if you are not using DHCP, you might check that you you give two
> > diffirent IP : one for redboot  and
> > one for eCos kernel.
>
> This may cause problems with the ARP cache in some machines, especially in
> switches.

I would hope it wouldn't for anything even slightly modern. Machines with
multiple IP addresses on the same interface have been around (and working
fine) for many years now.

> > You may also try do disable GDB stubs, because there are some problems
> with
> > them .
>
> GDB cannot be used when the TCP/IP is included?  Is this a bug across all
> platforms or simply the XScale?  Working without debug capability will slow
> down development, are there any known workarounds?

That's not quite right. The restriction is that you cannot include stubs in
your application when debugging over the network: that's because when you
do that, the stubs will "claim" the debug channel, which will close your
TCP connection.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-18 14:35     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-18 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: Trenton D. Adams, ecos-discuss

Richard Wicks wrote:

> I see,
>
> By doing the following:
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos -z 9 co -P net
>
> the package is automatically added.  There's just so much to read it's easy
> to miss little things.
>
> Well, it compiles now but when I attempt to run my code, it dies.  I'm not
> even compiling TCP/IP code either - it just crashes with GDB when I try to
> step past the first automatically set breakpoint.

So it runs fine when you don't set a breakpoint? What program is this?
What's it meant to do?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-18 16:27       ` Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-18 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, rich; +Cc: Trenton D. Adams, ecos-discuss

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 02:34 pm, you wrote:
> Richard Wicks wrote:
> > I see,
> >
> > By doing the following:
> > cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos -z 9 co -P net
> >
> > the package is automatically added.  There's just so much to read it's
> > easy to miss little things.
> >
> > Well, it compiles now but when I attempt to run my code, it dies.  I'm
> > not even compiling TCP/IP code either - it just crashes with GDB when I
> > try to step past the first automatically set breakpoint.
>
> So it runs fine when you don't set a breakpoint? What program is this?
> What's it meant to do?
>
> Jifl

Actually, any code.  The twothreads.c example will cause it to happen.

What happens is that once I hit a breakpoint I cannot seem to continue.  If I
disable all the breakpoints (including the ones on 'main' and 'exit' that are
normally set when you select your target) the code runs to completion.  If I
hit the stop button, the target is reported to not be responding.

I have discovered that I CAN set breakpoints before cyg_pci_init() but I
haven't found exactly where it breaks.  It may be thet cyg_pci_init() is
killing it or the setup of my ethernet driver, or something farther down the
line.  I'm still tracing it to find out exactly which function causes it to
die.  I am pretty sure it's a function cyg_pci_init() calls, but I'm still in
the middle of working on it.

Also, I am working with Insight under Linux.

Thanks,
-Rich

P.S. I am using the following ecosconfig lines to setup my kernel:

From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-18 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, Richard Wicks; +Cc: Nicolas.Lacorne, rich, ecos-discuss

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 02:33 pm, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Richard Wicks wrote:
> > > Hi ,
> > > Do you use network interface with redboot (and GDB stub)?
> > > In case, if you are not using DHCP, you might check that you you give
> > > two diffirent IP : one for redboot  and
> > > one for eCos kernel.
> >
> > This may cause problems with the ARP cache in some machines, especially
> > in switches.
>
> I would hope it wouldn't for anything even slightly modern. Machines with
> multiple IP addresses on the same interface have been around (and working
> fine) for many years now.

I've seen plenty of embedded devices throw up with this but I cannot think of
running into this problem recently since I never use multiple IP addresses.
You're probably right.

> > > You may also try do disable GDB stubs, because there are some problems
> >
> > with
> >
> > > them .
> >
> > GDB cannot be used when the TCP/IP is included?  Is this a bug across all
> > platforms or simply the XScale?  Working without debug capability will
> > slow down development, are there any known workarounds?
>
> That's not quite right. The restriction is that you cannot include stubs in
> your application when debugging over the network: that's because when you
> do that, the stubs will "claim" the debug channel, which will close your
> TCP connection.
> Jifl

OK - disable the stubs on the application or redboot?  Can you tell me how to
do it with ecosconfig?

In either case, right now I'm not even using the ethernet to debug with, only
the serial channel.  Still, redboot IS compiled to support debugging over the
network although I'm not using it.  I've been having some trouble recompiling
redboot without ethernet support.  Here is what I'm doing.

 ecosconfig new iq80310 redboot
 ecosconfig import redboot_ROM.cfg (included at end of this mail)
 ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
 ecosconfig tree
 make

The resulting rom causes the board (as well as the entire PC that it's
plugged into) to lockup.  If I do not remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310 the
resulting image works fine.

-Rich
------------------
redboot_ROM.cfg (taken from intel's distribution of the redboot source code
located at:

http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/redboot-src.tar.htm )
------------------
cdl_savefile_version 1;
cdl_savefile_command cdl_savefile_version {};
cdl_savefile_command cdl_savefile_command {};
cdl_savefile_command cdl_configuration { description hardware template
package };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_package { value_source user_value wizard_value
inferred_value };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_component { value_source user_value wizard_value
inferred_value };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_option { value_source user_value wizard_value
inferred_value };
cdl_savefile_command cdl_interface { value_source user_value wizard_value
inferred_value };

cdl_configuration eCos {
    description "" ;
    hardware    iq80310 ;
    template    redboot ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_ARM current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_IQ80310 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_IO_PCI current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310 current ;
    package -hardware CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_IQ80310 current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_HAL current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_INFRA current ;
    package -template CYGPKG_REDBOOT current ;
    package CYGPKG_IO_FLASH current ;
    package CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS current ;
    package CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_IQ80310 current ;
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_BUILD_GDB_STUBS {
    user_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310_CHATTER {
    user_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGNUM_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310_DEV_COUNT {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_SAVE_MINIMUM_CONTEXT {
    user_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_COMMON_CONTEXT_SAVE_MINIMUM {
    inferred_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_BREAK_SUPPORT {
    inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_CTRLC_SUPPORT {
    inferred_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR {
    inferred_value 0 0
};

cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP {
    user_value ROM
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_REDBOOT_FLASH_CONFIG {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_REDBOOT_BSP_SYSCALLS {
  inferred_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGBLD_REDBOOT_MIN_IMAGE_SIZE {
  inferred_value 0x40000
};

cdl_option CYGNUM_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_NUM_PKT {
  user_value 2
};

* Re: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-19  3:51             ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-19  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: Richard Wicks, ecos-discuss

Richard Wicks wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 September 2001 02:33 pm, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > Richard Wicks wrote:
> > >
> > > GDB cannot be used when the TCP/IP is included?  Is this a bug across all
> > > platforms or simply the XScale?  Working without debug capability will
> > > slow down development, are there any known workarounds?
> >
> > That's not quite right. The restriction is that you cannot include stubs in
> > your application when debugging over the network: that's because when you
> > do that, the stubs will "claim" the debug channel, which will close your
> > TCP connection.
> > Jifl
>
> OK - disable the stubs on the application or redboot?  Can you tell me how to
> do it with ecosconfig?

The application. They should be default disabled anyway.

> In either case, right now I'm not even using the ethernet to debug with, only
> the serial channel.  Still, redboot IS compiled to support debugging over the
> network although I'm not using it.  I've been having some trouble recompiling
> redboot without ethernet support.  Here is what I'm doing.
>
>  ecosconfig new iq80310 redboot
>  ecosconfig import redboot_ROM.cfg (included at end of this mail)
>  ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
>  ecosconfig tree
>  make
>
> The resulting rom causes the board (as well as the entire PC that it's
> plugged into) to lockup.  If I do not remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310 the
> resulting image works fine.

And if you build an application without this package (or the TCP/IP stack)
do breakpoints now work?

Can you try the old redboot, but _enabling_ stubs in your application i.e.
CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS

Even if there was some sort of incompatibility between your hardware and
the eth driver, I wouldn't expect it to affect breakpoints.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-19 17:29               ` Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-19 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, rich; +Cc: Richard Wicks, ecos-discuss

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 03:51 am, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Richard Wicks wrote:
> > >
> > > That's not quite right. The restriction is that you cannot include
> > > stubs in your application when debugging over the network: that's
> > > because when you do that, the stubs will "claim" the debug channel,
> > > which will close your TCP connection.
> > > Jifl
> >
> > OK - disable the stubs on the application or redboot?  Can you tell me
> > how to do it with ecosconfig?
>
> The application. They should be default disabled anyway.

To confirm, this means setting the user_value of
CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS in my ecos.ecc file to 0, correct?  I
still do not understand CDL flawlessly, although I am working on it.

Anyhow, if it should have been disabled then it must have been since I did
not enable it.

In the meanwhile, I have traced the problem to the ethernet driver which I
compiled into the application.  I will explain fully in detail below.

> > In either case, right now I'm not even using the ethernet to debug with,
> > only the serial channel.  Still, redboot IS compiled to support debugging
> > over the network although I'm not using it.  I've been having some
> > trouble recompiling redboot without ethernet support.  Here is what I'm
> > doing.
> >
> >  ecosconfig new iq80310 redboot
> >  ecosconfig import redboot_ROM.cfg (included at end of this mail)
> >  ecosconfig remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
> >  ecosconfig tree
> >  make
> >
> > The resulting rom causes the board (as well as the entire PC that it's
> > plugged into) to lockup.  If I do not remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
> > the resulting image works fine.
>
> And if you build an application without this package (or the TCP/IP stack)
> do breakpoints now work?

No.  If I remove CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310 with "ecosconfig remove
CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310" for the *bootrom* build and build the bootrom,
the resulting bootrom image causes the pci bus to crash the PC the IQ80310 is
plugged into.

Leaving CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310 in the bootrom leaves me with the same
situation before, downloading an application that is compiled to include the
NET package causes GDB to fail.  By "causing GDB to fail" I mean that when I
hit the breakpoint at "main" and hit "continue" or hit "step" the code seemed
to go into la-la land.  If, however, I disable the breakpoint at "main" the
code produces the desired output and workes correctly.

I have since found the source of the "GDB" failure.  It appears to really be
an ethernet driver failure corrupting memory.  In the driver "if_iq80310.c",
the call to ResetTxRing fails on the 10th iteration of the for loop.  I
haven't traced it exactly, but I am doing it now.  It may be that the
MAX_TX_DESCRIPTORS variable is incorrect but I haven't determined exactly
what it going on yet.  However, I can tell you that if I disable the
following functions:

InitRxRing
ResetRxRing
InitTxRing
ResetTxRing

That GDB works fine and I'm able to step through code with no problems except
of course the ethernet driver doesn't work which is to be expected.

I will continue debug to determine the exact error and contact you in private
email if that is OK with you.  You are right, this discussion is too specific
for the general list and I shouldn't be fillings people's mail boxes with it.
Sorry everybody.

> Can you try the old redboot, but _enabling_ stubs in your application i.e.
> CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS

I will do that as soon as I have time

> Even if there was some sort of incompatibility between your hardware and
> the eth driver, I wouldn't expect it to affect breakpoints.

I cannot disagree with you there, I can only tell you what I am seeing.

I will stop bothering the list  for now and find out what is happening and
let you know what's going on as soon as I know.  This bug seems to only
appear in my configuration.  Perhaps I am using the incorrect driver but the
name certainly sounds right.

> Jifl

In any case, thank you very much for your help.  You've already given me more
support than I ever found with vxWorks which is why we're not using them.

Thank you,
-Richard Wicks

* Re: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-20  7:59                 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-20  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: Richard Wicks, ecos-discuss

Richard Wicks wrote:

> I have since found the source of the "GDB" failure.  It appears to really be
> an ethernet driver failure corrupting memory.  In the driver "if_iq80310.c",
> the call to ResetTxRing fails on the 10th iteration of the for loop.  I
> haven't traced it exactly, but I am doing it now.  It may be that the
> MAX_TX_DESCRIPTORS variable is incorrect but I haven't determined exactly
> what it going on yet.

As you corrected in private mail, you meant to say ResetRxRing and
MAX_RX_DESCRIPTORS.

The MAX_RX_DESCRIPTORS is effectively a user set value - it doesn't
correspond with any property of the hardware (although it does correspond
with the i82559 heap).

You could try enabling assertion support in RedBoot as the driver does have
a few helpful assertions. It's in the "infra" package.

> I will continue debug to determine the exact error and contact you in private
> email if that is OK with you.  You are right, this discussion is too specific
> for the general list and I shouldn't be fillings people's mail boxes with it.
> Sorry everybody.

No please continue on the list: there are other people using the iq80310
who may know more or help.

> I will stop bothering the list  for now and find out what is happening and
> let you know what's going on as soon as I know.  This bug seems to only
> appear in my configuration.  Perhaps I am using the incorrect driver but the
> name certainly sounds right.

Should be right.

> In any case, thank you very much for your help.  You've already given me more
> support than I ever found with vxWorks which is why we're not using them.
>
> Thank you,

I haven't helped that much, believe me.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
@ 2001-09-20 17:13                   ` Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-20 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Eureka! (he said nakedly)

I had my configuration wrong I believe (explanation at the bottom.)  I was
adding CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS with ecosconfig and you do not want to do that.
 The "bug" I found wasn't - I was just using the wrong damn driver.

I also discovered that you cannot call init_all_network_interfaces() from
cyg_start.  There are also some other oddities that cause my code that I
wrote under Linux to act strangely under eCos too, but I can work around that
- I just need to study the example code provided.

I thank you very much,
-Rich

--------------------------------------
To anybody else using the XScale IQ80310 board, the following will build you
a kernel that will work with the net component (BSD stack) code.

Anything following a // is a comment and and/or is optional to do.

ecosconfig new iq80310
ecosconfig add net
ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
ecosconfig add CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
// CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM includes a device driver for an 82559 and it is
//    included as part of the iq80310 package so it will tell you it's
//    already included, at least it SHOULD
//
// edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310_CHATTER - user_value 1
// edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_NET_DHCP_CHATTER - user_value 1
ecosconfig check
ecosconfig tree

I highly recommend that you turn on the DHCP_CHATTER.  At my location, either
the DHCP server is VERY slow to respond or the DHCP client is slow.  Probably
our server, but it's useful to know when your board is actually up and what
IP address it has.  I also highly recommend compiling the "server_test.c"
program included in the net distribution since it's the easiest to test with
just telnet.

@ 2001-09-20 17:21                     ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]                       ` <01092017510005.01488@localhost.localdomain>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-09-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 09:08, Richard Wicks wrote:
> Eureka! (he said nakedly)
>
> I had my configuration wrong I believe (explanation at the bottom.)  I was
> adding CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS with ecosconfig and you do not want to do that.
>  The "bug" I found wasn't - I was just using the wrong damn driver.
>
> I also discovered that you cannot call init_all_network_interfaces() from
> cyg_start.  There are also some other oddities that cause my code that I
> wrote under Linux to act strangely under eCos too, but I can work around that
> - I just need to study the example code provided.
>
> I thank you very much,
> -Rich
>
> --------------------------------------
> To anybody else using the XScale IQ80310 board, the following will build you
> a kernel that will work with the net component (BSD stack) code.
>
> Anything following a // is a comment and and/or is optional to do.
>
> ecosconfig new iq80310
> ecosconfig add net
> ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
> ecosconfig add CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
> // CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM includes a device driver for an 82559 and it is
> //    included as part of the iq80310 package so it will tell you it's
> //    already included, at least it SHOULD
> //
> // edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310_CHATTER - user_value 1
> // edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_NET_DHCP_CHATTER - user_value 1
> ecosconfig check
> ecosconfig tree

Note: it is much more effective to simply use templates:
  % ecosconfig new iq80310 net
  % ecosconfig tree

Using the template will get all of the appropriate packages pulled in
and enabled, automatically.

@ 2001-09-20 18:04                         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-09-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Note: please refrain from sending queries directly to eCos engineers.
Our policy is to try and provide timely responses to ecos-discuss.
Direct access is available only on a contractual basis.

On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 09:51, Richard Wicks wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2001 05:18 pm, you wrote:
> > On Fri, 2001-09-21 at 09:08, Richard Wicks wrote:
> > > Eureka! (he said nakedly)
> > >
> > > I had my configuration wrong I believe (explanation at the bottom.)  I
> > > was adding CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS with ecosconfig and you do not want to
> > > do that. The "bug" I found wasn't - I was just using the wrong damn
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > I also discovered that you cannot call init_all_network_interfaces() from
> > > cyg_start.  There are also some other oddities that cause my code that I
> > > wrote under Linux to act strangely under eCos too, but I can work around
> > > that - I just need to study the example code provided.
> > >
> > > I thank you very much,
> > > -Rich
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------
> > > To anybody else using the XScale IQ80310 board, the following will build
> > > you a kernel that will work with the net component (BSD stack) code.
> > >
> > > Anything following a // is a comment and and/or is optional to do.
> > >
> > > ecosconfig new iq80310
> > > ecosconfig add net
> > > ecosconfig add CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
> > > ecosconfig add CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310
> > > // CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM includes a device driver for an 82559 and it is
> > > //    included as part of the iq80310 package so it will tell you it's
> > > //    already included, at least it SHOULD
> > > //
> > > // edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_IQ80310_CHATTER - user_value 1
> > > // edit ecos.ecc - CYGDBG_NET_DHCP_CHATTER - user_value 1
> > > ecosconfig check
> > > ecosconfig tree
> >
> > Note: it is much more effective to simply use templates:
> >   % ecosconfig new iq80310 net
> >   % ecosconfig tree
> >
> > Using the template will get all of the appropriate packages pulled in
> > and enabled, automatically.
>
> You're right.  I would have done that if I knew such a template existed.

It's also not obvious, even to the most sage, that using a template
often has effects beyond the expected.  In this case, using the
template enables networking which in turn allows the networking drivers
to be enabled, etc.  It all happens rather magically.

> Admittedly I have nobody to blame but myself, but where is this in the
> documentation?  I know about templates, but how do you get a list of
> available templates for a particular target?  I don't see it in the ecos.db
> file.

Templates are not well documented, sorry.

For a list of templates, simply look at your repository:
  ${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/templates
There is one sub-directory per template.

> I'm using Linux, I suppose that it's a drop down menu under windows?

Yes, it is.  Note: you _can_ use the GUI ConfigTool (version 2) on Linux
and then you'd see it on Linux as well :-)

* RE: [ECOS] Using the TCP/IP stack from the anonymous CVS server
       [not found] <01091713433301.01099@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2001-09-17 13:56 ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-09-17 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

It's customary to CC the list so people might pick up the solution by
searching the archives if they have the same problem!

Yep, very difficult to get every little detail from the documentation.
I know that I myself can't read the entire docs because it takes too
long.  I try to do the best skimming I can.  If I still can't get it, I
read ALL documentation on the particular part I'm interested in.  Even
then you can miss stuff!

Very odd indeed.  When you create your build, is it in a new directory?
I find that weird problems sometimes happen when I try and write over an
old build.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest downloading the entire
eCosRepository from CVS again and then the net package right after.

Glad I could help a little anyhow! :)