* [ECOS] tcpip network thread...!
@ 2005-03-10  2:23 Badri Sampathkumar
From: Badri Sampathkumar @ 2005-03-10  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Hi:

I have integrated an ethernet driver for my custom board. I run the Free bsd
tcpip
stack on it. I am able to succesfuly run the test programs and when the test
program (ping_lo_test) is running, I am able to ping the board from another
laptop. The board also initializes its IP thru DHCP when started up.

The issue is the n/w interface and the ethernet driver are started only when
an appln program like ping_lo_test is run (this calls
init_all_network_interfaces). I want the network stack & the ethernet driver
to be up & running once any image that is linked with the library is loaded
on the board, like a simple hello program that does not use the networking
stack.
Once the BSP along with the drivers is loaded, I would like the board to
respond to ping. But this does'nt happen. I realized that the
eth_drv_start() is never called & so the h/w driver is not started too. So I
included a call to 'init_all_network_interfaces()' in the cyg_net_init()
function in the free-bsd code.

This starts up the ethernet driver but still I am not getting interrupts
when an Appln like Hello program that is linked with this library is loaded.

Is there any threading issues ..? I run the background network proc thread @
prio 7 and fast net proc thread @ prio 6 - the default values when free-bsd
is included.

Thanks,
/Badri

* Re: [ECOS] tcpip network thread...!
@ 2005-03-10  4:10 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-03-10  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Badri Sampathkumar; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 13:54 -0800, Badri Sampathkumar wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have integrated an ethernet driver for my custom board. I run the Free bsd
> tcpip
> stack on it. I am able to succesfuly run the test programs and when the test
> program (ping_lo_test) is running, I am able to ping the board from another
> laptop. The board also initializes its IP thru DHCP when started up.
>
> The issue is the n/w interface and the ethernet driver are started only when
> an appln program like ping_lo_test is run (this calls
> init_all_network_interfaces). I want the network stack & the ethernet driver
> to be up & running once any image that is linked with the library is loaded
> on the board, like a simple hello program that does not use the networking
> stack.
> Once the BSP along with the drivers is loaded, I would like the board to
> respond to ping. But this does'nt happen. I realized that the
> eth_drv_start() is never called & so the h/w driver is not started too. So I
> included a call to 'init_all_network_interfaces()' in the cyg_net_init()
> function in the free-bsd code.
>
> This starts up the ethernet driver but still I am not getting interrupts
> when an Appln like Hello program that is linked with this library is loaded.
>
> Is there any threading issues ..? I run the background network proc thread @
> prio 7 and fast net proc thread @ prio 6 - the default values when free-bsd
> is included.

How do you start your "hello world" thread?

Note: eCos does not normally start up the networking unless some
thread does so explicitly.  That's just a design decision (which has
worked just fine all these years...)

* Re: [ECOS] tcpip network thread...!
@ 2005-03-10  8:29   ` Badri Sampathkumar
From: Badri Sampathkumar @ 2005-03-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

My Hello world thread has the function main() that gets called from
the libc main().

thanks,
/Badri