* [ECOS] Network speed very slow with redboot
@ 2002-03-05  7:07 Roland Caßebohm
From: Roland Caßebohm @ 2002-03-05  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

My development board is the SNDS100 from Samsung with S3C4510 ARM7TDMI.
I use the port from Grant Edwards (thanks to you Grant!).
It works fine, but the network speed seems to be very slow. When I load a
file via gdb, it says:

(gdb) lo
Start address 0x20040 , load size 294398
Transfer rate: 63653 bits/sec, 306 bytes/write.

This is over a 100 MBit ethernet. I think redboot works  in polling mode, but
while transmitting the file there is nothing else to do, so it should be
much faster?

Does someone have any idea where I have to look?

VS Vision Systems GmbH, Industrial Image Processing
Roland Caßebohm
Aspelohe 27A, D-22848 Norderstedt, Germany
Mail: roland.cassebohm@visionsystems.de
http://www.visionsystems.de

* RE: [ECOS] Network speed very slow with redboot
@ 2002-03-05  8:30 ` Douglas Bush
From: Douglas Bush @ 2002-03-05  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Roland Caßebohm', ecos-discuss

I have the same performance issue with the EP7211.  My download rate is
38kbit/s over a 10M Ethernet.  My download rate with the May 2001
redboot image for the EDB7xxx was generally over 380kbit/s.

@ 2002-03-07  1:02   ` Roland Caßebohm
From: Roland Caßebohm @ 2002-03-07  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Bush, ecos-discuss

On Tuesday, 5. March 2002 17:19, Douglas Bush wrote:
> I have the same performance issue with the EP7211.  My download rate is
> 38kbit/s over a 10M Ethernet.  My download rate with the May 2001
> redboot image for the EDB7xxx was generally over 380kbit/s.

Hi,

the only think i have found is, that the cache wasn't enabled. But enable the
cache doesn't change much. The download rate is now 200 kbit/s. Is this
normal?

Douglas,
you sad you have the same problem sins may 2001. I had tried to find
something that was changed in this time at the cvs tree. By now I haven't. :-(

Roland

@ 2002-03-07  6:18     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-03-07  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Caßebohm; +Cc: Douglas Bush, eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 01:58, Roland Caßebohm wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5. March 2002 17:19, Douglas Bush wrote:
> > I have the same performance issue with the EP7211.  My download rate is
> > 38kbit/s over a 10M Ethernet.  My download rate with the May 2001
> > redboot image for the EDB7xxx was generally over 380kbit/s.
> >

> Hi,
>
> the only think i have found is, that the cache wasn't enabled. But enable the
> cache doesn't change much. The download rate is now 200 kbit/s. Is this
> normal?

Those are the sort of rates that we see on many boards.  There are a number
of factors which influence the speed here.  Most RedBoot ports run from FLASH
which is often slow.  Also, the network stack used by RedBoot was designed to
be as simple and small as possible, not necessarily as fast as possible.  Also,
GDB sends relatively small packets while downloading.  This adds a lot of
overhead.

> Douglas,
> you sad you have the same problem sins may 2001. I had tried to find
> something that was changed in this time at the cvs tree. By now I haven't. :-(

AFAIK there have not been any significant changes in this area in the last year,
only minor tweaks and various ports.

* RE: [ECOS] Network speed very slow with redboot
@ 2002-03-07  7:16       ` Nejat Tek
From: Nejat Tek @ 2002-03-07  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello all,

Now we know that it is supposed to be slow, is there any quick fix
that can speed up the redboot networking?
Do you think, for example, polling the ethernet device driver more
often, or, changing background networking thread priority, can I
obtain a significant improvement ? If so, which piece of code should
I play with ?

Thanks in advance,
Nejat Tek

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 01:58, Roland Caßebohm wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5. March 2002 17:19, Douglas Bush wrote:
> > I have the same performance issue with the EP7211.  My download rate is
> > 38kbit/s over a 10M Ethernet.  My download rate with the May 2001
> > redboot image for the EDB7xxx was generally over 380kbit/s.
> >

> Hi,
>
> the only think i have found is, that the cache wasn't enabled. But enable
the
> cache doesn't change much. The download rate is now 200 kbit/s. Is this
> normal?

Those are the sort of rates that we see on many boards.  There are a number
of factors which influence the speed here.  Most RedBoot ports run from
FLASH
which is often slow.  Also, the network stack used by RedBoot was designed
be as simple and small as possible, not necessarily as fast as possible.
Also,
GDB sends relatively small packets while downloading.  This adds a lot of
overhead.

> Douglas,
> you sad you have the same problem sins may 2001. I had tried to find
> something that was changed in this time at the cvs tree. By now I haven't.
:-(

@ 2002-03-07  7:32         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-03-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nejat Tek; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 08:01, Nejat Tek wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Now we know that it is supposed to be slow, is there any quick fix
> that can speed up the redboot networking?
> Do you think, for example, polling the ethernet device driver more
> often, or, changing background networking thread priority, can I
> obtain a significant improvement ? If so, which piece of code should
> I play with ?

There are no threads in RedBoot :-)

I don't think that there is much that can be done [easily].  The biggest
problem is the size of the packets that GDB uses and the associated
overhead.  If you use RedBoot to download code directly (using TFTP and
the 'load' command), you'll see much faster download times.  I just tested
it on one of our platforms here and the difference was pretty
large:
  GDB - 153k (bits/sec)
  RedBoot via 'load' - 700k (bits/sec)
So the problem is not really with RedBoot's networking code, but the
additional overheads involved with the GDB protocol.

> Thanks in advance,
> Nejat Tek

* [ECOS] eCos support for Motorola ColdFire?
@ 2002-03-07  8:09         ` Bill Knight
From: Bill Knight @ 2002-03-07  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Does there exist or is anyone working on a port of eCos
for the Motorola Coldfire?  We are specifically interested
in using the 5307 on a custom board but info about any
eCos port to a Coldfire would be greatly appreciated?

TIA
-Bill Knight
R O SoftWare

* Re: [ECOS] Network speed very slow with redboot
@ 2002-03-07  8:12           ` Roland Caßebohm
From: Roland Caßebohm @ 2002-03-07  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Nejat Tek; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thursday, 7. March 2002 16:28, Gary Thomas wrote:
> There are no threads in RedBoot :-)
>
> I don't think that there is much that can be done [easily].  The biggest
> problem is the size of the packets that GDB uses and the associated
> overhead.  If you use RedBoot to download code directly (using TFTP and
> the 'load' command), you'll see much faster download times.  I just tested
> it on one of our platforms here and the difference was pretty
> large:
>   GDB - 153k (bits/sec)
>   RedBoot via 'load' - 700k (bits/sec)
> So the problem is not really with RedBoot's networking code, but the
> additional overheads involved with the GDB protocol.

But why is redboot on a PC more then 10 times faster. Is this only because of
the faster processor? In the following example I used a 400 MHz Pentium.

Start address 0x108000 , load size 271451
Transfer rate: 2171608 bits in <1 sec, 318 bytes/write.

Roland

@ 2002-03-07  8:39           ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2002-03-07  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gthomas; +Cc: tek, ecos-discuss

> On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 08:01, Nejat Tek wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Now we know that it is supposed to be slow, is there any quick fix
>> that can speed up the redboot networking?
>> Do you think, for example, polling the ethernet device driver more
>> often, or, changing background networking thread priority, can I
>> obtain a significant improvement ? If so, which piece of code should
>> I play with ?
>>

> There are no threads in RedBoot :-)

> I don't think that there is much that can be done [easily].  The biggest
> problem is the size of the packets that GDB uses and the associated
> overhead.  If you use RedBoot to download code directly (using TFTP and
> the 'load' command), you'll see much faster download times.  I just tested
> it on one of our platforms here and the difference was pretty
> large:
>   GDB - 153k (bits/sec)
>   RedBoot via 'load' - 700k (bits/sec)
> So the problem is not really with RedBoot's networking code, but the
> additional overheads involved with the GDB protocol.

There are some knobs in gdb which can be used to improve the situation.
By default, gdb will send relatively small packets during download.

  (gdb) set download-write-size xxx

asks gdb to try using xxx bytes per download packet. There is interaction
with the memory-write-size knob which may limit the download size. For
my xscale toolchain, I see:

  (gdb) show remote memory-write-packet-size
  The memory-write-packet-size is 0. Packets are limited to 399 bytes.

You can force gdb to use a larger memory-write-packet-size with:

  (gdb) set remote memory-write-packet-size 800
  The memory-write-packet-size is 800. Packets are limited to 399 bytes.

Notice how gdb still limits it to 399. Force gdb to use the previously
entered 800:

  (gdb) set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed
  The target may not be able to correctly handle a memory-write-packet-size
  of 800 bytes. Change the packet size? (y or n) y

  (gdb) show remote memory-write-packet-size
  The memory-write-packet-size is 800. Packets are fixed at 800 bytes.

Now the problem is that the target side has to be able to handle packets of
up to 800 bytes. Unfortunately, the ARM HAL cannot handle packets larger
than (NUMREGBYTES * 2)+32 bytes, where NUMREGBYTES is defined in:

   hal/arm/arch/include/arm_stub.h

As an experiment, I commented out the NUMREGBYTES define in arm_stub.h
so that a default gdb stub buffer of 2k was used. I then downloaded an
app using the default gdb settings and got 155K/sec. I then used:

  (gdb) set download-write-size 1000
  (gdb) set remote memory-write-packet-size 1000
  (gdb) set remote memory-write-packet-size fixed
  The target may not be able to correctly handle a memory-write-packet-size
  of 1000 bytes. Change the packet size? (y or n) y

I then reloaded the app and saw 320K/sec.

--Mark

* Re: [ECOS] eCos support for Motorola ColdFire?
@ 2002-03-07 13:15           ` W Jensen
From: W Jensen @ 2002-03-07 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Knight, ecos-discuss

I am working on a port to the 5272c3 eval board.  It
works with proprietary boot code, but I need to make
it work with Motorola's debugger (dBUG).

How do other eval board ports (PPC) work with vendor
debuggers?  Do they require you to download the code
to RAM and type go <addr>, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

@ 2002-03-07 14:13             ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-03-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W Jensen; +Cc: Bill Knight, eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 14:05, W Jensen wrote:
> I am working on a port to the 5272c3 eval board.  It
> works with proprietary boot code, but I need to make
> it work with Motorola's debugger (dBUG).
>
> How do other eval board ports (PPC) work with vendor
> debuggers?  Do they require you to download the code
> to RAM and type go <addr>, or is there a better way?

Use RedBoot :-)

Honestly, after you have the basic HAL ported and can run code from
ROM/FLASH, RedBoot is free.  I realize that there is a chicken & egg
problem, but to get RedBoot running you need only complete a small
portion of the actual HAL port.  Then you can use it's facilities
to get the rest going.