* [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
@ 2008-08-05 13:00 Alexander BORODULIN
From: Alexander BORODULIN @ 2008-08-05 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: a.kvashin

Dear Sirs,

ones are asking if any eCos port for ARM Cortex-M3 CPU (STM32) will be available and when. Could you please let us know?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Alexander Borodulin

* RE: [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
@ 2008-10-28 23:12     ` Chris Zimman
From: Chris Zimman @ 2008-10-28 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simon.kallweit; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> We should also consider to move away from CVS for a future release, but
that's a whole other story.

Anyone want to have the discussion about migrating to a newer source control
system (maybe for 3.0?)
I can't even really use CVS at work because we are behind a proxy firewall
that doesn't allow it through.

--Chris

* Re: [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
@ 2008-10-24 12:25   ` simon.kallweit
From: simon.kallweit @ 2008-10-24 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Meusel; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Christian Meusel wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
>> * Is there any interest in getting some community driven automatic
>> testing infrastructure up and running? The current state is ok for
>> doing single tests from time to time, but not to have an automated
>> process. I'll further work with qmtest to automate our internal
>> testing, but I wonder if there is interest to do this development in
>> the community?
>
> I'm currently working on a port of eCos to a ColdFire MCF5282 and
> started running first tests. Running tests from the configtool or
> manually does not provide me the comfort im used to when doing unit
> testing.
>
> I have no experience with QMTest but having a framework which allows
> me to run a bunch of tests automatically on a target would be great.
> Especially when it allows to integrate tools for asserting hardware
> resets to the target.

If you are interested, check out the my SVN repo at

https://svn.inthemill.ch/ecos-cortex/trunk

There is a scripts/qmtest folder which contains the qmtest class I
wrote. This is just a proof-of-concept right now, nothing really
serious. What it does is basically using OpenOCD/Telnet to flash a test
binary, open a serial console for logging, doing a reset, and letting
the test run, collecting it's output. The output is then parsed (using
the semantics defined for ecos tests) and a test result is generated.
This is all very targeted towards my needs right now, but it could be
divided up into smaller components using qmtest. We could for example
abstract the actual running of the test from the parsing of the test's
output. This way we could run tests using the GDB support in redboot,
using JTAGs, using a simulator or whatever. The nice thing about qmtest
is that you get a good tool for organizing your tests,
starting/controlling batch runs, and examining the results. This can be
all done either using CLI or a simple embedded webserver.

Let me know what you think about it.

Simon

* Re: [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
@ 2008-10-24 12:19 ` Christian Meusel
From: Christian Meusel @ 2008-10-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simon.kallweit; +Cc: eCos Disuss

Hello Simon,

> * Is there any interest in getting some community driven automatic
> testing infrastructure up and running? The current state is ok for doing
> single tests from time to time, but not to have an automated process.
> I'll further work with qmtest to automate our internal testing, but I
> wonder if there is interest to do this development in the community?

I'm currently working on a port of eCos to a ColdFire MCF5282 and
started running first tests. Running tests from the configtool or
manually does not provide me the comfort im used to when doing unit testing.

I have no experience with QMTest but having a framework which allows me
to run a bunch of tests automatically on a target would be great.
Especially when it allows to integrate tools for asserting hardware
resets to the target.

Best regards,

Christian

--
Christian Meusel
TU Dresden

Internet: www.mr.inf.tu-dresden.de
Telefon: +49 351 463-37902
Telefax: +49 351 463-38245

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3367 bytes --]

* Re: [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
@ 2008-10-24 10:16   ` simon.kallweit
From: simon.kallweit @ 2008-10-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simon.kallweit, eCos Disuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> * I'm currently trying to merge the flash_v2 branch into the trunk. This
>> seems to be not exactly trivial (or I'm just stupid :) Isn't it time to
>> do the merge into the official trunk and spare the hassle in the future?
>> Is there anything going against the merge? Or why hasn't it be done yet?
>>

> This is a goal for the next release of eCos.
>
> I also know some people in the community do have such a merged
> tree. So maybe somebody can send you there work.

Well, I'm in the process of doing it myself right now, and things are
shaping up. Anyway, I'm more and more getting away from using the ecos
CVS and using my own repository, which is a bad thing in my opinion, and
a sign that the current state of the CVS is not very well. I'll be glad
to help out when the community wants to do the merge, moving forward to
a new release, but as I'm not a maintainer myself I'll don't have the
authority to initiate anything myself I guess. We should also consider

@ 2008-10-24  8:44 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-10-24  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: simon.kallweit; +Cc: eCos Disuss

> * I'm currently trying to merge the flash_v2 branch into the trunk. This
> seems to be not exactly trivial (or I'm just stupid :) Isn't it time to
> do the merge into the official trunk and spare the hassle in the future?
> Is there anything going against the merge? Or why hasn't it be done yet?

This is a goal for the next release of eCos.

I also know some people in the community do have such a merged
tree. So maybe somebody can send you there work.

      Andrew

* [ECOS] Cortex-M3 port
@ 2008-10-24  8:33 simon.kallweit
From: simon.kallweit @ 2008-10-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

Hi there

I just wanted to let you know, that my Cortex-M3 port is pretty much up
and running. It's not yet perfect, and there is still pending work on
some parts (mostly the GDB stub, and exception handling). Basic
interrupt handling and context switching is working. I extended the
qmtest framework to automate kernel testing, and run all kernel tests
with success (except the tm_basic test, which failed because of lack of
resources). As ecoscentric is also finishing their port ("in a couple of
weeks") I guess there is no real chance for my port to be included in
the main repository. Also, to really finish the port, some additional
help would really be appreciated (GDB stub etc.). My current focus is to
test additional components we're going to use for our design (flash, fs,
networking etc). So unless there is some help on the port, I guess I'll
go with what I have and hope that ecoscentric will release their port in
the near future, so I can incorporate additional changes into their port
and the official repository. During development a few questions popped
to my mind: