* [ECOS] eCos installation instructions
@ 2015-10-05 16:22 Michael W. Ellis
From: Michael W. Ellis @ 2015-10-05 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am attempting to install the eCos development tools on a Win7 64-bit machine and have quickly encountered problems attempting to follow the installation instructions.  I come from a hardware background  but have written quite a bit of embedded software, but I'm not familiar with eCos, Cygwin, Eclipse and all the related tools, so consider me a total newbie with regards to eCos.

I am attempting to follow the instructions at http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html and the first step is to install Cygwin.  Following the instructions on  http://ecos.sourceware.org/cygwin.html I have downloaded and launched the 32-bit version of the Cygwin installer.  The instructions then say to install the following packages:

gcc4 - see below
libexpat1 - found under Libs
libmpc1 - see below
make - found under Devel
patch - found under Devel
sharutils - found in Archive
tcl - found under Interpreters
wget - found under Web

Searching for gcc4 yields no results.  Searching for gcc vields many results (cygwin64-gcc-*, gcc-*, mingw64-i686-gcc*, mingw64-x86_64-gcc-*) under the Devel category, and libgcc1 under the Libs category.  What is the appropriate choice for gcc4?  I assume that these are different toolchain options but I have no idea whether eCos requires a particular choice.

The library libmcp1 was not found.  Searching for libmpc yielded libmpc3 - am I to assume that this is an appropriate substitution?

Thanks,

Michael