* [ECOS] Long ethernet connection time for Redboot on EDB7209C
@ 2001-09-19 21:17 Strader Alan
From: Strader Alan @ 2001-09-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

I would like to thank everyone in the discussion group for their e-mails.  I
was quickly able to get my EDB7209-2C.0 (EDB7XXX) development board up and
running with Redboot.  I am able to connect using Ethernet or serial.

My question is why does it usually take 23 seconds to connect via Ethernet
(remote/TCP).  There are a few times when it connects immediately.  I can
connect through the remote/serial immediately every time.  It looks like the
GDB stubs are include in my Redboot build according to the eCos Hal section
in the Configuration Tool.  Are the stubs disabling the interrupt from the
Ethernet controller and only are polling the serial port?  With an
oscilloscope I can see that the controller is trying to interrupt the
processor.  After the 23 seconds the processor begins communicating to the
controller by toggling the chip select.  After the Ethernet connection is
made, I am able to download and run a program okay.  Does anyone have any
ideas or similar experiences?

By the way I have the development board connected to my PC with a crossover
cable and I have manually set the PC's IP, subnet, and gateway address.

Alan Strader

* Re: [ECOS] Long ethernet connection time for Redboot on EDB7209C
@ 2001-09-19 21:31 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-09-19 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Strader Alan; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2001-09-20 at 03:10, Strader Alan wrote:
> I would like to thank everyone in the discussion group for their e-mails.  I
> was quickly able to get my EDB7209-2C.0 (EDB7XXX) development board up and
> running with Redboot.  I am able to connect using Ethernet or serial.
>
> My question is why does it usually take 23 seconds to connect via Ethernet
> (remote/TCP).  There are a few times when it connects immediately.  I can
> connect through the remote/serial immediately every time.  It looks like the
> GDB stubs are include in my Redboot build according to the eCos Hal section
> in the Configuration Tool.  Are the stubs disabling the interrupt from the
> Ethernet controller and only are polling the serial port?  With an
> oscilloscope I can see that the controller is trying to interrupt the
> processor.  After the 23 seconds the processor begins communicating to the
> controller by toggling the chip select.  After the Ethernet connection is
> made, I am able to download and run a program okay.  Does anyone have any
> ideas or similar experiences?
>
> By the way I have the development board connected to my PC with a crossover
> cable and I have manually set the PC's IP, subnet, and gateway address.

This sounds more like a host issue to me.  I actually saw this the other
day when I tried to connect to a "new" board.  My host system insisted
on trying to look up some addresses associated with the connection and
I had to wait for the DNS timeouts (about the 20+ seconds you are
talking about).

I'd say to make sure that the board (network) name is well known to your
host and see if it helps.