* [ECOS] Opening SGML-manuals
@ 2002-06-20  0:42 David Marqvar (DAM)
From: David Marqvar (DAM) @ 2002-06-20  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

Hello.

I'm currently trying to get into the details of eCos.
I've downloaded the latest CVS, including documentation in SGML.

How do I open the SGML-files? I've tried to use sgml2html (linux) and
"SoftQuad XMetaL 3.0" (windows).
It seems that I need a Rules File, a DTD or a Schema... I'm missing
something obviously..?

Regards,
David Marqvar

* Re: [ECOS] Opening SGML-manuals
@ 2002-06-20  3:42 ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-06-20  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marqvar (DAM), 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

On Thursday 20 June 2002 09:42, David Marqvar (DAM) wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm currently trying to get into the details of eCos.
> I've downloaded the latest CVS, including documentation in SGML.
>
> How do I open the SGML-files? I've tried to use sgml2html (linux) and
> "SoftQuad XMetaL 3.0" (windows).
> It seems that I need a Rules File, a DTD or a Schema... I'm missing
> something obviously..?
>
> Regards,
> David Marqvar

Hi:

   Since I haven't updatet my eCos witht thel last update (i'ts 3 weeks old),
my information may be out of date.

 Seems that the only way one can try to build the docs is:

Go to the ecos/doc/sgml directory and hack makemakefile shell script , eg
replace every occurence of "ecc" with "packages".
 -./makemakefile
 -make
Then You will notice that there are some unresolved SGML link errors. Just
remove the links from SGML sources, because there are some mising sgml files
in the repository tree.. The SGML documentation scheme is new in the eCos
2.0. ( I haven't tried that).

If You wish, You can try.

* Re: [ECOS] Opening SGML-manuals
@ 2002-06-20  5:29   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-06-20  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iz; +Cc: David Marqvar (DAM), 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 04:43, Iztok Zupet wrote:
> On Thursday 20 June 2002 09:42, David Marqvar (DAM) wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm currently trying to get into the details of eCos.
> > I've downloaded the latest CVS, including documentation in SGML.
> >
> > How do I open the SGML-files? I've tried to use sgml2html (linux) and
> > "SoftQuad XMetaL 3.0" (windows).
> > It seems that I need a Rules File, a DTD or a Schema... I'm missing
> > something obviously..?
> >
> > Regards,
> > David Marqvar
>
> Hi:
>
>    Since I haven't updatet my eCos witht thel last update (i'ts 3 weeks old),
> my information may be out of date.
>
>  Seems that the only way one can try to build the docs is:
>
> Go to the ecos/doc/sgml directory and hack makemakefile shell script , eg
> replace every occurence of "ecc" with "packages".
>  -./makemakefile
>  -make
> Then You will notice that there are some unresolved SGML link errors. Just
> remove the links from SGML sources, because there are some mising sgml files
> in the repository tree.. The SGML documentation scheme is new in the eCos
> 2.0. ( I haven't tried that).

A much simpler way to do this is (on Linux):
  % cd XXX/ecos        // wherever your top-level is installed
  % ln -s packages ecc
  % cd doc/sgml
  % ./makemakefile
  % make html

This worked fine for me, no unresolved links, etc.

* Re: [ECOS] Opening SGML-manuals
@ 2002-06-20  9:44     ` Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-06-20  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas
  Cc: David Marqvar (DAM), 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

On Thursday 20 June 2002 14:29, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 04:43, Iztok Zupet wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 June 2002 09:42, David Marqvar (DAM) wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I'm currently trying to get into the details of eCos.
> > > I've downloaded the latest CVS, including documentation in SGML.
> > >
> > > How do I open the SGML-files? I've tried to use sgml2html (linux) and
> > > "SoftQuad XMetaL 3.0" (windows).
> > > It seems that I need a Rules File, a DTD or a Schema... I'm missing
> > > something obviously..?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > David Marqvar
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> >    Since I haven't updatet my eCos witht thel last update (i'ts 3 weeks
> > old), my information may be out of date.
> >
> >  Seems that the only way one can try to build the docs is:
> >
> > Go to the ecos/doc/sgml directory and hack makemakefile shell script , eg
> > replace every occurence of "ecc" with "packages".
> >  -./makemakefile
> >  -make
> > Then You will notice that there are some unresolved SGML link errors.
> > Just remove the links from SGML sources, because there are some mising
> > sgml files in the repository tree.. The SGML documentation scheme is new
> > in the eCos 2.0. ( I haven't tried that).
>
> A much simpler way to do this is (on Linux):
>   % cd XXX/ecos        // wherever your top-level is installed
>   % ln -s packages ecc
>   % cd doc/sgml
>   % ./makemakefile
>   % make html
>
> This worked fine for me, no unresolved links, etc.

 After updating my ecoscvs the documentation builds with only two missing
xrefs:

jade:../../ecc/kernel/current/doc/kernel.sgml:222:69:X: reference to
non-existent ID "COUNTERS-CLOCKS-AND-ALARMS"
jade:../../ecc/kernel/current/doc/kernel.sgml:1703:22:X: reference to
non-existent ID "COUNTERS-CLOCKS-AND-ALARMS"
jade:../../ecc/kernel/current/doc/kernel.sgml:1116:59:X: reference to
non-existent ID "MEMORY-POOLS"
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.76/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E:
XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'COUNTERS-CLOCKS-AND-ALARMS'
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.76/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E:
XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'MEMORY-POOLS'
jade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.76/html/dblink.dsl:203:1:E:
XRef LinkEnd to missing ID 'COUNTERS-CLOCKS-AND-ALARMS'
make: *** [ecos.html] Error 1

But nevertheless the html tree works and seems to be fully browsable.

 Intresting, I've been using eCos cvs reposytory ever since 1.2x version but
never noticed such a heavy load on the cvs server. (load average 56).
 I wander if this heavy cvs access is related to the latest talks about RedHat
and eCos and eCos developers and if the cvs snapshot at chez-thomas.org is
accessed that much, too.

Regards
iz

* Re: [ECOS] Opening SGML-manuals
@ 2002-06-21  6:23     ` max
From: max @ 2002-06-21  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos; +Cc: David Marqvar (DAM), 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

--- Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 04:43, Iztok Zupet wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 June 2002 09:42, David Marqvar
> (DAM) wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I'm currently trying to get into the details of
> eCos.
> > > I've downloaded the latest CVS, including
> documentation in SGML.
> > >
> > > How do I open the SGML-files? I've tried to use
> sgml2html (linux) and
> > > "SoftQuad XMetaL 3.0" (windows).
> > > It seems that I need a Rules File, a DTD or a
> Schema... I'm missing
> > > something obviously..?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > David Marqvar
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> >    Since I haven't updatet my eCos witht thel last
> update (i'ts 3 weeks old),
> > my information may be out of date.
> >
> >  Seems that the only way one can try to build the
> docs is:
> >
> > Go to the ecos/doc/sgml directory and hack
> makemakefile shell script , eg
> > replace every occurence of "ecc" with "packages".
> >  -./makemakefile
> >  -make
> > Then You will notice that there are some
> unresolved SGML link errors. Just
> > remove the links from SGML sources, because there
> are some mising sgml files
> > in the repository tree.. The SGML documentation
> scheme is new in the eCos
> > 2.0. ( I haven't tried that).
>
> A much simpler way to do this is (on Linux):
>   % cd XXX/ecos        // wherever your top-level is
> installed

Just build in ecos repository?

@ 2002-06-21  6:40       ` max
From: max @ 2002-06-21  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos; +Cc: David Marqvar (DAM), 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

@ 2002-06-21  6:49       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-06-21  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: max; +Cc: eCos Discussion, David Marqvar (DAM)

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 07:22, max wrote:

> --- Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 04:43, Iztok Zupet wrote:

> > eCos.
> > documentation in SGML.

> > sgml2html (linux) and
> > Schema... I'm missing

> > > Hi:
> > >
> > >    Since I haven't updatet my eCos witht thel last
> > update (i'ts 3 weeks old),
> > > my information may be out of date.
> > >
> > >  Seems that the only way one can try to build the
> > docs is:
> > >
> > > Go to the ecos/doc/sgml directory and hack
> > makemakefile shell script , eg
> > > replace every occurence of "ecc" with "packages".
> > >  -./makemakefile
> > >  -make
> > > Then You will notice that there are some
> > unresolved SGML link errors. Just
> > > remove the links from SGML sources, because there
> > are some mising sgml files
> > > in the repository tree.. The SGML documentation
> > scheme is new in the eCos
> > > 2.0. ( I haven't tried that).
> >
> > A much simpler way to do this is (on Linux):
> >   % cd XXX/ecos        // wherever your top-level is
> > installed
>
> Just build in ecos repository?

Yes, that's how it's [currently] set up.