* [ECOS] Question regarding eCos license
@ 2003-11-09 23:43 Suheel Hussain
From: Suheel Hussain @ 2003-11-09 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am an embedded system consultant who evaluates OS for clients. Frequently
I am asked to suggest real-time OS for client's project. In future I want to
suggest eCos as an option to commercial OSs and Linux.

I have few questions:
1.  Do I have to give eCos source code to the client? Same for RedBoot?
2.  Does client have to mention -- say in their product literature -- that
     their product is built on eCos?
3.  If I tweak eCos to get better real-time response, etc. Am I required to
     post this change on discussion list, etc.?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

-suheel
--
Suheel Hussain

* Re: [ECOS] Question regarding eCos license
@ 2003-11-09 23:54 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-09 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suheel Hussain; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 16:43, Suheel Hussain wrote:
> I am an embedded system consultant who evaluates OS for clients. Frequently
> I am asked to suggest real-time OS for client's project. In future I want to
> suggest eCos as an option to commercial OSs and Linux.
>
> I have few questions:
> 1.  Do I have to give eCos source code to the client? Same for RedBoot?
> 2.  Does client have to mention -- say in their product literature -- that
>      their product is built on eCos?
> 3.  If I tweak eCos to get better real-time response, etc. Am I required to
>      post this change on discussion list, etc.?

eCos is covered by a modified GPL license.  Most of your questions are
answered in http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html

In particular:
(1) - yes.  The client has as much right to the eCos sources, including
any changes you make to the eCos codebase, as you do.
(2) - no.  There is no "publicize" requirement.
(3) - yes.  If you make changes to the eCos sources, including additions
which end up in the "main" eCos tree, those changes are covered by the GPL
and must be published.  You would not have to actually send them to us, but
the effect is the same, they must be made public with no additional constraints
placed on them.

Note: the exception clause that we have in the license *does* allow you to
add code/value when using eCos and not make that code public.  In other words,
you can create an application which uses the eCos kernel, but the application
code itself is not automatically covered by the GPL.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Question regarding eCos license
@ 2003-11-10  0:06   ` Suheel Hussain
From: Suheel Hussain @ 2003-11-10  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gary,
thanks.

It helps that I/client does not have to publish application code. This is a
main contention in Linux -- specially with SCO's suit against Linksys!

-suheel

@ 2003-11-10  1:18     ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-11-10  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Suheel Hussain'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello from Gregg C Levine
I am aware of their suit against Linux as a whole, claiming that large
portions of materials of theirs are actually in the kernel. But you
say they are now suing Linksys. How so? Can you post a pointer to
that? Regarding your client, and your work, since Gary answered your
questions, I won't go into details here.
You can send me the reference on or off list, your choice, if there
are a loud series of complaints, we can continue to discuss it off
list.
Suheel Hussain wrote:
> It helps that I/client does not have to publish application code.
This is a
> main contention in Linux -- specially with SCO's suit against
Linksys!

-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss

* Re: [ECOS] Question regarding eCos license
@ 2003-11-10 23:35   ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2003-11-10 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Suheel Hussain; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Monday 10 November 2003 00:54, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 16:43, Suheel Hussain wrote:
> > I am an embedded system consultant who evaluates OS for clients.
> > Frequently I am asked to suggest real-time OS for client's project. In
> > future I want to suggest eCos as an option to commercial OSs and Linux.
> >
> > I have few questions:
> > 1.  Do I have to give eCos source code to the client? Same for RedBoot?
> > 2.  Does client have to mention -- say in their product literature --
> > that their product is built on eCos?
> > 3.  If I tweak eCos to get better real-time response, etc. Am I required
> > to post this change on discussion list, etc.?
>
> eCos is covered by a modified GPL license.  Most of your questions are
> answered in http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html
>
> In particular:
> (1) - yes.  The client has as much right to the eCos sources, including
> any changes you make to the eCos codebase, as you do.
> (2) - no.  There is no "publicize" requirement.
> (3) - yes.  If you make changes to the eCos sources, including additions
> which end up in the "main" eCos tree, those changes are covered by the GPL
> and must be published.  You would not have to actually send them to us, but
> the effect is the same, they must be made public with no additional
> constraints placed on them.

IANAL, but as I understand it the sources only need to be made available to
anyone who receives a binary, not to be made "public". Just how mauch
difference this makes in practice will depend on the nature of the product.

> Note: the exception clause that we have in the license *does* allow you to
> add code/value when using eCos and not make that code public.  In other
> words, you can create an application which uses the eCos kernel, but the
> application code itself is not automatically covered by the GPL.

--
Chris Gray                                /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi              http://www.kiffer.be/k/

* Re: [ECOS] Question regarding eCos license
@ 2003-11-10 23:48     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-10 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: Suheel Hussain, ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 16:35, Chris Gray wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2003 00:54, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 16:43, Suheel Hussain wrote:
> > > I am an embedded system consultant who evaluates OS for clients.
> > > Frequently I am asked to suggest real-time OS for client's project. In
> > > future I want to suggest eCos as an option to commercial OSs and Linux.
> > >
> > > I have few questions:
> > > 1.  Do I have to give eCos source code to the client? Same for RedBoot?
> > > 2.  Does client have to mention -- say in their product literature --
> > > that their product is built on eCos?
> > > 3.  If I tweak eCos to get better real-time response, etc. Am I required
> > > to post this change on discussion list, etc.?
> >
> > eCos is covered by a modified GPL license.  Most of your questions are
> > answered in http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html
> >
> > In particular:
> > (1) - yes.  The client has as much right to the eCos sources, including
> > any changes you make to the eCos codebase, as you do.
> > (2) - no.  There is no "publicize" requirement.
> > (3) - yes.  If you make changes to the eCos sources, including additions
> > which end up in the "main" eCos tree, those changes are covered by the GPL
> > and must be published.  You would not have to actually send them to us, but
> > the effect is the same, they must be made public with no additional
> > constraints placed on them.
>
> IANAL, but as I understand it the sources only need to be made available to
> anyone who receives a binary, not to be made "public". Just how mauch
> difference this makes in practice will depend on the nature of the product.

What I meant by "public" was in the sense that the provider (the one
making the binary "product") needs to make the sources available to
whomever he distributes the product, including any changes he has made,
with no more restrictions on the use of the sources as he was subject
to.  Since the provider would have obtained the sources from a public
repository, then whatever sources he distributes must be equally
available.  The party which receives these [possibly modified] sources
would then have the right to publish them or make derivative products,
etc.