* [ECOS] Re: remove NOT_IN_RAM handling
       [not found] <20031120130610.0fde112f.jani@iv.ro>
@ 2003-11-20 12:39 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-20 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: eCos Disuss

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:06:10PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
> This patch removes the NOT_IN_RAM interface since all drivers use
> the newer (cleaner) method. This simplifies flash.c making additions
> of new functionality easier by not having to handle the two cases
> differently.

Humm. This needs some discussion. There may not be any drivers in the
anoncvs repository using this, but there could be people with there
own private flash drivers which use this interface. Do we want to
break such drivers?

Anybody with an opinion is welcome to comment.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Re: remove NOT_IN_RAM handling
@ 2003-11-20 12:43   ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2003-11-20 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> Humm. This needs some discussion. There may not be any drivers in the
> anoncvs repository using this, but there could be people with there
> own private flash drivers which use this interface. Do we want to
> break such drivers?
>
> Anybody with an opinion is welcome to comment.

I thought there might be others using old drivers but to change them to
work with this is simple. And if they track CVS they are definitely able
to do such a small change. Of course others might have other opinions.

Jani

* Re: [ECOS] Re: remove NOT_IN_RAM handling
@ 2003-11-20 13:44     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-20 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 05:31, Jani Monoses wrote:

> > Humm. This needs some discussion. There may not be any drivers in the
> > anoncvs repository using this, but there could be people with there
> > own private flash drivers which use this interface. Do we want to
> > break such drivers?
> >
> > Anybody with an opinion is welcome to comment.
>
> I thought there might be others using old drivers but to change them to
> work with this is simple. And if they track CVS they are definitely able
> to do such a small change. Of course others might have other opinions.

I think it's reasonable to do this, now that all of the drivers are up
to date (at least all of the public drivers).  If this breaks something
out there, it will be minor and as Jani says, easy to fix.

You might leave the interface in the CDL and make it an error if it
is ever "implemented".  That way we'd catch the problem as soon as
possible.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Re: remove NOT_IN_RAM handling
@ 2003-11-20 14:03       ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2003-11-20 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> You might leave the interface in the CDL and make it an error if it
> is ever "implemented".  That way we'd catch the problem as soon as
> possible.

I thought the config system would detect that an unknown interface is
implemented. How should I make this error, emit some #error directive
in the system.h file from the interface? I don't know that much about CDL.

thanks
Jani

* Re: [ECOS] Re: remove NOT_IN_RAM handling
@ 2003-11-20 14:11         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-11-20 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 06:51, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > You might leave the interface in the CDL and make it an error if it
> > is ever "implemented".  That way we'd catch the problem as soon as
> > possible.
>
> I thought the config system would detect that an unknown interface is
> implemented. How should I make this error, emit some #error directive
> in the system.h file from the interface? I don't know that much about CDL.

I think implementing an unknown interface is treated as a NO-OP.

The best way would be like this:
  cdl_interface XYZ {
  }
  requires { !XYZ }

This way, if it is ever implemented, the "requires" statement can't be
satisfied and there will be an error.