* Re: [ECOS] eCos application using USART
@ 2004-01-21 14:47 Ali Rodgo
From: Ali Rodgo @ 2004-01-21 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas, JaniMonoses; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks both
but Gary when you say POSIX compatible termios what does refer to? For example, if i want to configure the USART to operate with 9600 baud rate, what functions and where and how can i do that? I have seen software API to do that in the Atmel web site. Where is this POSIX software?Any example?

Sorry maybe i am a bit lost on this

Thanks in advance

@ 2004-01-21 15:00 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-01-21 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Rodgo; +Cc: JaniMonoses, ecos-discuss

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 07:47, Ali Rodgo wrote:
> Thanks both
> but Gary when you say POSIX compatible termios what does refer to? For example,
> if i want to configure the USART to operate with 9600 baud rate, what functions
> and where and how can i do that? I have seen software API to do that in the Atmel
> web site. Where is this POSIX software?Any example?
>
> Sorry maybe i am a bit lost on this

POSIX is a standard API that's used all over.  For example, Linux is a
POSIX compliant system, so you would write a program using termios on
eCos just like you would on Linux.

There are some examples of using termios in the eCos source base.  Look
at .../packages/services/gfx/mw/current/src/drivers/mou_mt.c
This is a mouse driver for MicroWindows.  This particular piece of code
sets the mouse port (serial device) to run at 9600 baud, etc.

To learn more, try "man termios" on Linux :-)

--

@ 2004-01-21 15:28 ` Matt Jerdonek
From: Matt Jerdonek @ 2004-01-21 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Rodgo; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ali,

Here's a link on programming serial ports via POSIX.
I found it useful.

http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/

-- Matt

@ 2004-01-21 15:42   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-01-21 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Jerdonek; +Cc: Ali Rodgo, ecos-discuss

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 08:28, Matt Jerdonek wrote:
> Ali,
>
> Here's a link on programming serial ports via POSIX.
> I found it useful.
>
> http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/

Very nice indeed.

A couple of things to note about using this with eCos:
* You need to enable the serial I/O drivers as this is not
  done automatically.
* The actual device names vary from target platform to platform.
* You also need to "wire" the termio device to a corresponding
  serial I/O device.

It's a little detailed, but once you have it configured, it'll
work like a charm :-)

--

@ 2004-01-22 12:44 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-01-22 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Rodgo; +Cc: GaryThomas, MattJerdonek, ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:10:25PM +0100, Ali Rodgo wrote:
> Thanks a lot,

> but one question, can i use these POSIX functions to write a new
> serial protocol( with different signals level, acknowlegments
> etc). I think that this link is only for the RS232 serial protocol
> isn't it?

What do you mean by a new serial protocol?

RS232 basically specifies the physical layer. What shape the connector
is, what the pins are, the voltages, the timing of the transitions,
how bits form bytes, parity etc. RS232 allows you to transfer a stream
of bytes.  The POSIX functions allow you to control the physical
layer. Bit rates, bits per word, parity etc.

The protocol that goes over that is not specified by RS232. eg SLIP
and PPP is not part of RS232, they are independent standards.

I suggest you first do some reading about serial ports, protocols and
the APIs. Once you understand the basics you will be able to ask
better questions, or not need to ask questions at all.

       Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos application using USART
@ 2004-01-22 12:10 Ali Rodgo
From: Ali Rodgo @ 2004-01-22 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GaryThomas, MattJerdonek; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks a lot,
but one question, can i use these POSIX functions to write a new serial protocol( with different signals level, acknowlegments etc). I think that this link is only for the RS232 serial protocol isn't it?

I have to connect a device with a Linux PC through the AT91EB40A. There must be a eCos interface running on the board to communicate the device (which uses this new protocol) with it(through the other serial protocol but with an adaptor) and then the data received must be sent to the Pc linux(using RS232). How does ecos make the flow control, harware or software?

thanks in advance

@ 2004-01-21 13:01   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-01-21 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2004-01-21 10:35 ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2004-01-21 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:30:00 +0100
"Ali Rodgo" <alirodgo@web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to programm a new serial protocol (ecos application) to
> communicate a device with the AT91EB40A using the USART. Can anyone
> tell me where can i find (in the ecos repository) the files
> necessaries to use the Usarts? Access to registers, USART predefined
> software, examples etc..

devs/serial/arm/at91

* [ECOS] eCos application using USART
@ 2004-01-21 10:30 Ali Rodgo