* [ECOS] Adding STLport to eCos
@ 2004-04-30  9:55 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-04-30  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

My writeup on how to use STLport:

http://www.zylin.com/opensource.html

A list of things to consider:

- Is there any interest in doing this?

- STLport has its own makefile for compiling the source. I think trying
to change STLport to use eCos makefiles to compile itself is make-work.
The result of compiling STLport are a couple of linker libraries.

- Write a .cdl file. This .cdl file would expose a couple of sensible
configuration options, add STLport to the include path, add the STLport
linker libraries to the include path, etc.

- A couple of patches to STLport have to be committed. Minor stuff. Some
examples:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2004-01/msg00068.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2004-02/msg00072.html

- STLport consists ~600k source tar.bz2'd and ca. 1400 files. It seems
like a lot, but not too much to add to the eCos CVS.

- license issues. Looks fine. http://www.stlport.org/doc/license.html

Cons?

- STLport will be obsolete if eCos supports libstdc++.

--

Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

* Re: [ECOS] Adding STLport to eCos
@ 2004-04-30 10:48 ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2004-04-30 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Øyvind Harboe; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
[...]
> Cons?
>
> - STLport will be obsolete if eCos supports libstdc++.

FYI, there is no if :-) eCos supports libstdc++.

There is one caveat: libstdc++ support is currently only available with
the full eCosPro package.

-- Alex
Managing Director / CEO                              eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/                 The eCos and RedBoot experts

* RE: [ECOS] Adding STLport to eCos
@ 2004-04-30 11:45   ` Yuxin Jiang
From: Yuxin Jiang @ 2004-04-30 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alex Schuilenburg', 'Øyvind Harboe'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Is the support of STL complete? Does it support string class/locale now?
Is there a list of what is supported and what is not?

@ 2004-04-30 13:44   ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-04-30 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Schuilenburg; +Cc: ecos-discuss

fre, 30.04.2004 kl. 11.50 skrev Alex Schuilenburg:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> [...]
> > Cons?
> >
> > - STLport will be obsolete if eCos supports libstdc++.
>
> FYI, there is no if :-) eCos supports libstdc++.
>
> There is one caveat: libstdc++ support is currently only available with
> the full eCosPro package.

Cool!

Is there a complete list of what eCosPro contains that is not currently
in the eCos CVS?

I didn't see libstdc++ mentioned.

--

@ 2004-04-30 13:46     ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-04-30 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuxin Jiang; +Cc: ecos-discuss

fre, 30.04.2004 kl. 12.48 skrev Yuxin Jiang:
> Is the support of STL complete? Does it support string class/locale now?

I didn't think eCos supported unicode/wchar, so it can't be complete.

Also, eCos lacks support for multithreaded exceptions(out of the box).

I've used the string class and iostreams in STLport.

--

Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

* [ECOS] Questions on debugging
@ 2004-04-30 22:39       ` Gatien Gillon
From: Gatien Gillon @ 2004-04-30 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have some questions about RT debugging
What's exactly tracing ?
What's exactly asserts ?
I've played a bit with these options in the infra packages but I'm looking
for documentation on how to get the maximum on thses functions. The ecos doc
is not very complete on all the debugging techniques and possibilities.
Thanks a lot in advance.

* Re: [ECOS] Adding STLport to eCos
@ 2004-05-07 15:31       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-05-07 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Øyvind Harboe; +Cc: Yuxin Jiang, ecos-discuss

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> fre, 30.04.2004 kl. 12.48 skrev Yuxin Jiang:
>
>>Is the support of STL complete? Does it support string class/locale now?
>

> I didn't think eCos supported unicode/wchar, so it can't be complete.

Yes, eCos has support for wchar, locale and multi-byte support. See the
CYGPKG_LIBC_I18N package. It doesn't support unicode, but that isn't a
requirement for the C++ standard.

Standard eCos also doesn't have all the required libm functions the C++
standard requires, but eCosPro does.

> Also, eCos lacks support for multithreaded exceptions(out of the box).

The eCosCentric eCosPro C++ support has this.

> I've used the string class and iostreams in STLport.

The eCosPro libstdc++ support has the full STL, and every other part of the
C++ runtime support required by the standard. We know it works fully
because the whole libstdc++ testsuite has been imported in fact, as well as
quite a number of extra tests we've added.

Ad over :-).

Jifl