* [ECOS] Thumb/exceptions in program
@ 2004-05-28 15:13 Greg Smith
From: Greg Smith @ 2004-05-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I know very little about ecos, but:

Interrupts in the ARM processor all run in 32-bit mode - so you will hit
problems if you try to run interrupts in Thumb mode.

As the remainder of the code works OK in 32-bit mode, the other possible
explanation of a sata abort of not having set up the interrupt stacks cannot
be correct.

Greg Smith

* Re: [ECOS] Thumb/exceptions in program
@ 2004-05-28 16:40 ` Sven Rehfuss
From: Sven Rehfuss @ 2004-05-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Smith; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Am Fr, den 28.05.2004 schrieb Greg Smith um 16:41:

Hello

>I know very little about ecos, but:

>Interrupts in the ARM processor all run in 32-bit mode - so you will
>hit
>problems if you try to run interrupts in Thumb mode.
The interrupt code is the one used in eCos and it is 32 bit code.

>As the remainder of the code works OK in 32-bit mode, the other
>possible
>explanation of a sata abort of not having set up the interrupt stacks
>cannot
>be correct.

>Greg Smith

The strange thing is that the crashes only occure if I build an instance
of a c++ class which uses many new-operators or during normal operation
of this object. The class needs much memory which is allocated using the
heap.
I have enough memory (4MB) to do so and the stack size is 30kB (usage
approx. 2-4kB). If the object is used in the context of a thread, the
thread crashes but other threads are still working.
If the crash occures during initialisation, the system crashes.

I found an earlier post (I thing April 2003) where a similiar questions
was posted, but there is no answer :-(

Regards,
 Sven Rehfuß

* [ECOS] Thumb/exceptions in program
@ 2004-05-28 14:07 Sven Rehfuss
From: Sven Rehfuss @ 2004-05-28 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
I have a strange problem with thumb.
I can run my program without any problem using ARM 32 bit instruction.
I get exceptions (abort data) if I compile everything for thumb. I find
that the exception may accure in the IRQ routines. The command is:
stmdb   sp!, {r0, r1, r2, r3, r4, r5}

What can this be?

System:
latest ecos cvs, gcc (tried 3.2.1, 3.3.3, 3.3.4), binutils 2.14.91 and
latest cvs.

Regards,
 Sven Rehfuß