* Re: [ECOS] Regarding Flash Address to store ROMRAM startup application
       [not found] <20040811233541.61233.qmail@web53807.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2004-08-11 23:41 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-08-11 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giri Raja; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 17:35, Giri Raja wrote:
> Thanks Gary, I will incorporate it. If I set my jumper in the user
> position, which address location in the flash should I program from?

I would presume the same as if you are programming RedBoot (but I have
no experience with this board, so this is conjecture)

> Thank you.
>
> Saranyan.
>
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 14:19, Giri Raja wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         > I was experimenting to run a small application on
>         > the EB40A board without redboot on it. The idea is to
>         > make the application boot up by itself when powered
>         > on.
>         > I configured for ROMRAM startup type and disabled the
>         > 'Work with ROM Monitor' option in the config file.
>         > I compiled my application with this configuration and
>         > used OC Demon Flash Memory Programmer to store the
>         > executable in the flash (this is how I normally do for
>         > redboot and it works).when I powered it on, it doesn't
>         > seem to work. My jumper was set to the user position
>         > and there is absolutely nothing in the flash other
>         > than the executable I just loaded.
>         > Can someone please help me out on this.
>
>         I found that I needed a few extra things set to make this
>         work:
>
>         cdl_component CYGDBG_HAL_DIAG_TO_DEBUG_CHAN {
>         user_value 0
>         };
>
>         cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
>         user_value 0
>         };
>
>         cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR {
>         user_value 0
>         };
>
>         --
>         Gary Thomas
>         MLB Associates

Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* [ECOS] Regarding Size of ROMRAM applications
@ 2004-08-12  0:55   ` Giri Raja
From: Giri Raja @ 2004-08-12  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

this is a continuation of my earlier mail in the day,
but a slightly different question I have now.
my ROMRAM application is about 600K. Is that really
bif, I'm confused by this number. if it is ROMRAM
startup type, I guess the program will never run as my
RAM is only 256K. does this make any sense or am I
wrong.
I did try loading this application in the flash on the
exact same location where I used to load redboot, it
didn't run.

Thank you.

Saranyan.

--- Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 17:35, Giri Raja wrote:
> > Thanks Gary, I will incorporate it. If I set my
> jumper in the user
> > position, which address location in the flash
> should I program from?
> >

> I would presume the same as if you are programming
> RedBoot (but I have
> no experience with this board, so this is
> conjecture)
>
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Saranyan.
> >
> > Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> >         On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 14:19, Giri Raja
> wrote:
> >         > Hi,
> >         > I was experimenting to run a small
> application on
> >         > the EB40A board without redboot on it.
> The idea is to
> >         > make the application boot up by itself
> when powered
> >         > on.
> >         > I configured for ROMRAM startup type and
> disabled the
> >         > 'Work with ROM Monitor' option in the
> config file.
> >         > I compiled my application with this
> configuration and
> >         > used OC Demon Flash Memory Programmer to
> store the
> >         > executable in the flash (this is how I
> normally do for
> >         > redboot and it works).when I powered it
> on, it doesn't
> >         > seem to work. My jumper was set to the
> user position
> >         > and there is absolutely nothing in the
> flash other
> >         > than the executable I just loaded.
> >         > Can someone please help me out on this.
> >
> >         I found that I needed a few extra things
> set to make this
> >         work:
> >
> >         cdl_component
> CYGDBG_HAL_DIAG_TO_DEBUG_CHAN {
> >         user_value 0
> >         };
> >
> >         cdl_option
> CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
> >         user_value 0
> >         };
> >
> >         cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR {
> >         user_value 0
> >         };
> >
> >         --
> >         Gary Thomas
> >         MLB Associates

> --
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
> MLB Associates
>

> --
> Before posting, please read the FAQ:
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos

* Re: [ECOS] Regarding Size of ROMRAM applications
@ 2004-08-12  7:23     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-08-12  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giri Raja; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:55:41PM -0700, Giri Raja wrote:
> this is a continuation of my earlier mail in the day,
> but a slightly different question I have now.
> my ROMRAM application is about 600K. Is that really
> bif, I'm confused by this number. if it is ROMRAM
> startup type, I guess the program will never run as my
> RAM is only 256K. does this make any sense or am I
> wrong.

What is telling you it is 600K? arm-elf-size? Or is that the size of
the binary produced by objcopy?

Sometimes the binary has big holes in it because objcopy or the linker
script is confused.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Regarding Size of ROMRAM applications
@ 2004-08-12 15:49       ` Giri Raja
From: Giri Raja @ 2004-08-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Andrew Lunn

My bad, I didn't use the arm-elf-size. I actually
clicked on the properties button on the windows
machine and it showed me the file size as 600K. But
this is what arm-elf-size gives me:

text    data     bss     dec     hex  filename
23308   936     23932   48176    bc30
standalone_serial

I tried both ROM and ROMRAM options. It doesn't seem
to load from the flash at all. Is there anything that
I need to modify on the memory map files. I'm using
EB40A board.

Thanks.

Giri.

@ 2004-08-12 15:54         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-08-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giri Raja; +Cc: eCos Discussion, Andrew Lunn

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 09:49, Giri Raja wrote:
> My bad, I didn't use the arm-elf-size. I actually
> clicked on the properties button on the windows
> machine and it showed me the file size as 600K. But
> this is what arm-elf-size gives me:
>
> text    data     bss     dec     hex  filename
> 23308   936     23932   48176    bc30
> standalone_serial
>
> I tried both ROM and ROMRAM options. It doesn't seem
> to load from the flash at all. Is there anything that
> I need to modify on the memory map files. I'm using
> EB40A board.

Did you start from a fresh (i.e. clean tree) build?  It's been
my experience that once I build for one startup type, if I change
the configuration to another, things don't go right.  So, I always
start afresh if I'm going to try a different startup mode.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org>

* Re: [ECOS] Regarding Size of ROMRAM applications
@ 2004-08-12 17:00           ` Giri Raja
From: Giri Raja @ 2004-08-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Gary Thomas

No luck again. Should the board have some sort of
monitor program, or the application in ROMRAM mode by
itself includes routines to load in the RAM?

Thanks.

Giri.