* RE: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue
@ 2006-07-26  5:59 sumanth
From: sumanth @ 2006-07-26  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

HI Jerzy and Mark,

             This is sumanth , i have compiled the source of ecos what intel
gives ,but i am short falling of one header file which i could'nt get in the
intel site, can you please give us the link from where we can get the header
file
devs_eth_intel_npe.h

Thanks & regards,
Sumanth.

* RE: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue
@ 2006-07-26 14:57 ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2006-07-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sumanth; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 22:59 -0700, sumanth wrote:
> HI Jerzy and Mark,
>
>              This is sumanth , i have compiled the source of ecos what intel
> gives ,but i am short falling of one header file which i could'nt get in the
> intel site, can you please give us the link from where we can get the header
> file
> devs_eth_intel_npe.h

This file is generated during the build. It is not part of the sources.
If you properly configure things to include the NPE packages, that
file will get generated in <builddir>/install/include/pkgconf.

--Mark

* [ECOS] RE: ixp42x NPE networking build issue
@ 2006-07-27  9:07   ` sumanth
From: sumanth @ 2006-07-27  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Mark,

             Thanks for your reply, I am able to build the Redboot Image but
the problem is i am unable to build the default image for the grg from ui.
it is showing following errors

make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/ecos-ecc/def-npe_build/hal/arm/arch/current'
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/hal_mk_defs.c:55:25:
pkgconf/hal.h: No such file or directory
arm-elf-gcc -finline-limit=7000 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Winline -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2 -ffunction-sections
-fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions  -mapcs-frame
-I/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/ecos-ecc/def-npe_install/include
-I/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current
-I/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src
-I/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/tests
-I. -Wp,-MD,arm.tmp -o hal_mk_defs.tmp -S
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/hal_mk_defs.c
In file included from
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/hal_mk_defs.c:57:
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/ecos-ecc/def-npe_install/include/cyg/hal/hal_arch.h:57:61:
pkgconf/hal.h: No such file or directory
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/ecos-ecc/def-npe_install/include/cyg/hal/hal_arch.h:58:32:
cyg/infra/cyg_type.h: No such file or directory
In file included from
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/hal_mk_defs.c:57:
/home/sumant/redboot-intel-ixp4xx-050425/ecos-ecc/def-npe_install/include/cyg/hal/hal_arch.h:106:
parse error before "cyg_uint32"

                           I am thinking of default  image because i want
attach other applications to the default image while running npe also, can
you please sugesst how to get the macros of the header.

Thanks & regards,
Sumnath

* [ECOS] RE: ixp42x NPE networking build issue
@ 2006-07-27  9:08   ` sumanth
From: sumanth @ 2006-07-27  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

@ 2006-08-01 13:15 ` sumanth
From: sumanth @ 2006-08-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Mark & Jerzy,
                          I am trying to build the ram based image with npe
support, now i am able to suceed by compiling the redboot related acess
library which intel supplies, but when i call the api which starts the
downloading of microcode and start functioning
                   ixNpeDlNpeInitAndStart(IX_NPEDL_NPEIMAGE_NPEB_ETH);
he show the error message as [warning] Warning: the NPE B component you
specified does not exist
he is searching the microcode for NPE B at location 0x01000200 ,where that
Macro was defined to.
But since i compiled this NPE B microcode is at different location. are
there any compiler options such that we can specify the binary should be
loaded at specific location ?
  are there any other mechanism to locate the microcode for NPE B and
download that into npe.

Thanks for your earlier repley, with that only i could proceed upto here.

Thanks & regards,
Sumanth.

* RE: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue
@ 2006-08-01 15:34   ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2006-08-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sumanth; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 06:15 -0700, sumanth wrote:
> Hi Mark & Jerzy,
>                           I am trying to build the ram based image with npe
> support, now i am able to suceed by compiling the redboot related acess
> library which intel supplies, but when i call the api which starts the
> downloading of microcode and start functioning
>                    ixNpeDlNpeInitAndStart(IX_NPEDL_NPEIMAGE_NPEB_ETH);
> he show the error message as [warning] Warning: the NPE B component you
> specified does not exist
> he is searching the microcode for NPE B at location 0x01000200 ,where that
> Macro was defined to.

Are you sure? I thought those macros (IX_NPEDL_NPEIMAGE_NPEB_ETH et al)
were bitfields indicating the functionality of the microcode, not the
microcode's address. The CSR library code looks for the microcode in
the IxNpeMicrocode_array[] array.

@ 2006-08-02 14:46     ` sumanth
From: sumanth @ 2006-08-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

HI Mark,
               You are correct, it is the array where the microcode is
there, Now am able to analyze that i am failing at the regisering the device
in the ecos cyg_netdevtab_entry , am unable to create the entry to the
device , any pointers in this case.
Thanks for your guidence

Thanks & regards,
Sumanth.

* Re: [ECOS] RE: ixp42x NPE networking build issue
@ 2006-08-03 13:05       ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2006-08-03 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sumanth; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 07:46 -0700, sumanth wrote:
> HI Mark,
>                You are correct, it is the array where the microcode is
> there, Now am able to analyze that i am failing at the regisering the device
> in the ecos cyg_netdevtab_entry , am unable to create the entry to the
> device , any pointers in this case.
> Thanks for your guidence

The entry is created at build time at the bottom of if_npe.c, but only
for those NPEs which are configured to be used. The platform specific
.inl file is used to tell the generic if_npe.c code which ports to use.
For instance, devs/eth/arm/ixdp425/cur/include/ixdp425_npe.inl has:

#define CYGSEM_INTEL_NPE_USE_ETH0
#define CYGNUM_ETH0_ETH_ID    IX_ETH_PORT_1
#define CYGNUM_ETH0_PHY_NO    0
#define CYGSEM_INTEL_NPE_USE_ETH1
#define CYGNUM_ETH1_ETH_ID    IX_ETH_PORT_2
#define CYGNUM_ETH1_PHY_NO    1

--Mark

* RE: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue.
@ 2006-07-20 13:36 ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2006-07-20 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vijay.peshkar; +Cc: jerzy.dyrda, ecos-discuss

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 15:59 +0530, vijay.peshkar@wipro.com wrote:
> Mark,
>
>  I picked up if_npe.c from Jerzy's mail as am not seeing it in any other
> place/CVS.
> Also, have downloaded the microcode(IxNpeMicrocode.c) from the link you
> have suggested below.
>
> But the epk you mentioned contains only the RedBoot Pre-Built Binaries
> (includes NPE Ethernet support).

The link for "RedBoot 2.02 NPE support in an eCos Package File (epk)"
will download "Redboot-v2_02-epk.zip" which unzips into npe-2.02.epk.
This contains the access library code sources with RedBoot support.
Add it to your source tree with something like:

  % ecosadmin.tcl add npe-2.02.epk

--Mark

* RE: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue.
@ 2006-07-20 10:29 vijay.peshkar
From: vijay.peshkar @ 2006-07-20 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msalter; +Cc: jerzy.dyrda, ecos-discuss

Mark,

 I picked up if_npe.c from Jerzy's mail as am not seeing it in any other
place/CVS.
Also, have downloaded the microcode(IxNpeMicrocode.c) from the link you
have suggested below.

But the epk you mentioned contains only the RedBoot Pre-Built Binaries
(includes NPE Ethernet support).
Since my aim is to get the NPE eth working on my regular image, this
would not be helpful.

Now,the only missing link in my puzzle is the access library.
Is there any ecos access library (which intel must have ported for its
ecos redboot binary) that can be used or I have to port the whole access
library to ecos?.

Regards,
Vijay

From: Mark Salter @ 2006-07-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vijay.peshkar; +Cc: jerzy.dyrda, ecos-discuss

@ 2006-07-18  3:44 vijay.peshkar
From: vijay.peshkar @ 2006-07-18  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jerzy.dyrda, ecos-discuss

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that such a driver already exists
For non-interrupt mode?. Am unable to locate it.

The intel site no longer maintains redboot for IXP425. Its all 2800 now.
And, even in this 2800's redboot, I guess I will have to extract the
same and
Port it to IXP425 and also to run in my non-redboot build?.

Another alternative am thinking of is to check if netbsd has a npe
driver.

Regards,
Vijay

From: vijay.peshkar @ 2006-07-17  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jerzy.dyrda, ecos-discuss, kgardas

 Hi all,

Am a newbie to ecos on ixp425 npe.
Searching my mails archive, found the below discussion.
Any pointers on availiblity of eth npe driver(if_npe.c ?)
Or I will have to write it from scratch?.

Jerzy and Karel - any pointers would be helpful.

Regards,
Vijay

From: jerzy dyrda @ 2006-01-09 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, Karel Gardas

@ 2005-12-28 22:00           ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-12-28 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-28 21:51             ` Karel Gardas
From: Karel Gardas @ 2005-12-28 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Andrew Lunn wrote:

>> Yes, I think the intention of the error above is that ecosadmin "detects"
>> error in pkgadd.db and exists making tar also exists. Anyway, the file is
>> OK, I've decomplressed it and did
>> cat pkgadd.db >> <path>/ecos.db
>>
>> I've also copied Jerzy's if_npe.c and now I'm fighting with various
>> compilation issues. Generaly Intel code's complaining about RebBoot not
>> enabled. Is RedBoot required for this to work? i.e. do I need to build my
>> NPE-enabled eCos app including RedBoot just to be able to build it?
>
> Now, you do not want RedBoot.

I also though that, but unfortunatelly whole code looks like expecting
RedBoot... Now I'm fighting with this (RedBoot still not enabled in
config), which seems to be MAC address "detection":

if_npe.c file from Jerzy:

     806     // Set MAC address
     807 #if defined(CYGSEM_NPE_REDBOOT_HOLDS_ESA)
     808     {
     809         char *cfgname = NULL;
     810 #if defined(CYGSEM_INTEL_NPE_USE_ETH0)
     811         if (p_npe == &npe_eth0_priv_data)
     812             cfgname = "npe_eth0_esa";
     813 #endif
     814 #if defined(CYGSEM_INTEL_NPE_USE_ETH1)
     815         if (p_npe == &npe_eth1_priv_data)
     816             cfgname = "npe_eth1_esa";
     817 #endif
     818
     819 #elif defined(CYGHAL_GET_NPE_ESA)
     820
     821         mac_ok = CYGACC_CALL_IF_FLASH_CFG_OP(CYGNUM_CALL_IF_FLASH_CFG_GET, cfgname,
     822                                              p_npe->mac_address, CONFIG_ESA);
     823     }

1. cfgname is used here, but it is not defined. It is defined in above
#ifdef statement.

2. CONFIG_ESA is not defined. It seems CONFIG_ESA is defined to 6 when
RedBoot is enabled

     824 #else
     825 #error No mechanism to get MAC address
     826 #endif
     827
     828     if (!mac_ok) {
     829 #ifdef DEBUG
     830                 diag_printf("Error getting MAC address.\n");
     831 #endif
     832                 return 0;
     833     }

here we test !mac_ok, but strangely when CYGSEM_NPE_REDBOOT_HOLDS_ESA is
defined, then mac_ok is not set to true.

So now, I'm searching where is all these defines provided to find out more
info about this issue.

Thanks,
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  kgardas@objectsecurity.com

* Re: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue.
@ 2005-12-28 21:31           ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-12-28 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes, I think the intention of the error above is that ecosadmin "detects"
> error in pkgadd.db and exists making tar also exists. Anyway, the file is
> OK, I've decomplressed it and did
> cat pkgadd.db >> <path>/ecos.db
>
> I've also copied Jerzy's if_npe.c and now I'm fighting with various
> compilation issues. Generaly Intel code's complaining about RebBoot not
> enabled. Is RedBoot required for this to work? i.e. do I need to build my
> NPE-enabled eCos app including RedBoot just to be able to build it?

Now, you do not want RedBoot.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue.
@ 2005-12-28 21:14         ` Karel Gardas
From: Karel Gardas @ 2005-12-28 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-28 21:05       ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-12-28 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-28 20:39     ` Karel Gardas
From: Karel Gardas @ 2005-12-28 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-28 18:35   ` Karel Gardas
From: Karel Gardas @ 2005-12-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Mark Salter wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 17:56 +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm experimenting with CVS eCos and trying to get it working for ixp42x
>> board including NPE ethernet support. I've downloaded:
>>
>> Redboot-v2_01-epk.zip
>> Redboot-v2_01-npe-microcode.zip
>>
>> files from intel.com and installed them following their documentation.
>> Unfortunately when I try to build ixdp425 with NPE Ethernet with `all'
>> packages, I get this error message:
>>
>> /home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/modules/ioMem/IxOsalEndianess.h:74:2:
>> error: #error "Need something for non-RedBoot case!"
>
> I think the error message is a pretty good clue.

Yes, it is hence my question.

>> Has anybody here succeed compiling this stuff?
>>

> jerzy.dyrda@kontron.pl got the older NPE driver working as a full eCos
> driver. But the 2_01 Intel code is a good bit different and I wasn't
> able to include Jerzy's work due to time constraints in the contract
> that paid for the RedBoot-only port.

Thanks to you both Mark and Andrew! The only older version available on
the intel website seems to be 1.94, I hope this is what Jerzy used and
which will also do the job for me.

Thanks!
Karel
--

@ 2005-12-28 17:15 ` Mark Salter
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-12-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-12-28 17:10 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-12-28 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:56:05PM +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm experimenting with CVS eCos and trying to get it working for ixp42x
> board including NPE ethernet support. I've downloaded:
>
> Redboot-v2_01-epk.zip
> Redboot-v2_01-npe-microcode.zip
>
> files from intel.com and installed them following their documentation.
> Unfortunately when I try to build ixdp425 with NPE Ethernet with `all'
> packages, I get this error message:
>
> arm-elf-gcc -c  -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include
> -I/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0
> -I/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src
> -I/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/tests
> -I.
> -I/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/
> -finline-limit=7000 -mcpu=xscale -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Winline -Wundef  -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
> -fno-exceptions  -mapcs-frame -D_KERNEL -D__ECOS -DCPU=33 -DXSCALE=33
> -DIX_COMPONENT_NAME=1 -DNDEBUG
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/modules/bufferMgt
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/modules/ioMem
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/modules/ioMem
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/ecos/core
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/ecos/modules/bufferMgt
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/ecos/modules/ioMem
> -I/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/ecos/platforms/ixp400
> -Wp,-MD,src/if_npe.tmp -o src/devs_eth_intel_npe_common_if_npe.o
> /usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c
> In file included from
> /home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/modules/ioMem/IxOsalIoMem.h:58,
>                  from
> /home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/IxOsalConfig.h:68,
>                  from
> /home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/IxOsal.h:62,
>                  from
> /usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c:68:
> /home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/modules/ioMem/IxOsalEndianess.h:74:2:
> error: #error "Need something for non-RedBoot case!"

The code from Intel is only for RedBoot, not normal eCos applications.

Search the archive, there have been a few people who have added the
extra code needed for using the ethernet in normal applications.

        Andrew

* [ECOS] ixp42x NPE networking build issue.
@ 2005-12-28 16:56 Karel Gardas
From: Karel Gardas @ 2005-12-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/osal/IxOsal.h:1133:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
In file included from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsalBackward.h:57,
                  from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsBuffMgt.h:52,
                  from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxEthAcc.h:56,
                  from
/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c:69:
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsalBackwardOsServices.h:72:1:
warning: "LOG_WARNING" redefined
In file included from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/cyg/io/eth/eth_drv.h:63,
                  from
/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c:66:
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/sys/param.h:1023:1:
warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsalBackward.h:63,
                  from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsBuffMgt.h:52,
                  from
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxEthAcc.h:56,
                  from
/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c:69:
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsalBackwardOssl.h:166:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_install/include/IxOsalBackwardOssl.h:246:
warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c:
In function 'npe_init':
/usr/local/src/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0/src/if_npe.c:917:
warning: unused variable 'i'
make[1]: *** [src/if_npe.o.d] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/karel/usr/local/xscale-npe1/full_build/devs/eth/intel/npe/common/v2_0'
make: *** [build] Error 2