* [ECOS] fat filename length
@ 2006-04-19 22:24 Scott Bailie
From: Scott Bailie @ 2006-04-19 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I've noticed that only 8.3 filenames under FAT.  I poked around in
fatfs_supp.c where it looks like this limitation is hard coded.  Has anyone
made the necessary changes to support long filenames?  Is there any plan to
do so?

Thanks, Scott

_________________
Scott Bailie
MIT LINCOLN LAB
781.981.4140

* [ECOS] Re: Intel LXT971
@ 2006-04-20  1:24 ` yh
From: yh @ 2006-04-20  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

Does current redboot (ecos version 2.0) support Intel Ethernet chipset
LXT971?

Thank you.

Jim

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Intel LXT971
@ 2006-04-20  2:10   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-04-20  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yh; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:36 +1000, yh@bizmail.com.au wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does current redboot (ecos version 2.0) support Intel Ethernet chipset
> LXT971?

eCos 2.0 is nearly 4 years old - hardly current.

The LXT97x is an ethernet PHY (which is just the physical layer
used by some ethernet chips).  Normally, there is little (or nothing)
required to control these devices - they just do their job.  They do
have a control interface whereby you can set the hardware bit rate,
e.g. 100Mb or 10Mb, detect the presence of a carrier/cable, etc.
They are not [directly] responsible for passing ethernet data, that
job is handled by some other device.

You need to figure out what the actual ethernet device is; depending
on the platform, this may be a separate device like an 82559 chip,
etc, or it may be builtin to the CPU (SOC), e.g. on the XScale devices.

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Intel LXT971
@ 2006-04-20  4:03     ` yh
From: yh @ 2006-04-20  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yh, eCos Discussion

Thanks Gary. It is actually a ship set from Intel LXT971ABE A4 L549ID42.
The Ethernet of our board worked when the RTL820 was used, but now the
redboot cannot connect to the network since replacing to Intel LXT971.
Sorry, I am new to the redboot. I thought to get some advices from experts
on this list before plunging into the debug. Any more information and
helps would be great appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim

> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:36 +1000, yh@bizmail.com.au wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does current redboot (ecos version 2.0) support Intel Ethernet chipset
>> LXT971?
>
> eCos 2.0 is nearly 4 years old - hardly current.
>
> The LXT97x is an ethernet PHY (which is just the physical layer
> used by some ethernet chips).  Normally, there is little (or nothing)
> required to control these devices - they just do their job.  They do
> have a control interface whereby you can set the hardware bit rate,
> e.g. 100Mb or 10Mb, detect the presence of a carrier/cable, etc.
> They are not [directly] responsible for passing ethernet data, that
> job is handled by some other device.
>
> You need to figure out what the actual ethernet device is; depending
> on the platform, this may be a separate device like an 82559 chip,
> etc, or it may be builtin to the CPU (SOC), e.g. on the XScale devices.
>
> --
> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

* Re: [ECOS] fat filename length
@ 2006-04-20  9:31 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2006-04-20  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Bailie; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Scott Bailie" <bailie@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> I've noticed that only 8.3 filenames under FAT.  I poked around in
> fatfs_supp.c where it looks like this limitation is hard coded.  Has anyone
> made the necessary changes to support long filenames?  Is there any plan to
> do so?

Long file names require quite a lot of changes to the filesystem. We
(eCosCentric) have added LFN support to our version of the FATFS. This
is currently available through our eCosPro product.

There are also patent issues with Microsoft, which means that many
commercial users are reluctant to use LFN at present.

--
Nick Garnett                                 eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com            The eCos and RedBoot experts

* [ECOS] 回复: Re: [ECOS] Re: Intel LXT971
@ 2006-04-20 13:21       ` hui liu
From: hui liu @ 2006-04-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yh; +Cc: ecos-discuss