On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 12:41 +0000, John Dallaway wrote: > Hi Gary > > Gary Thomas wrote: > > > John Dallaway wrote: > > > >> Timothy M. Schaeffer wrote: > >>> > >>> - Why doesn't ecosconfig do what configtool does? > >>> > >>> - How can I make it do what configtool does? > >> > >> ecosconfig assumes the the current working directory is the base of the > >> build tree. Try the following: > >> > >> $ cd /path/to/x_build > >> $ ecosconfig --config=/path/to/x.ecc --prefix=/path/to/x_install > > > > But (and I've asked this myself for many years now) are they different > > in the first place? > ... > Both tools provide an operating paradigm which is familiar to their > respective users and I suspect there would anticipate considerable > resistance to change. > > John Dallaway > eCosCentric Limited I have made some modifications to the source which should do what I want without changing existing usage. This is from the ecos repo as of yesterday. In summary: I added a --build-prefix= option, which puts the build files into instead of the current directory. If --prefix is not given, the install tree will be in /install. I added a --install-prefix= as a synonym for --prefix, because I like it better :-) I added a -C, --use-configtool-paths option, which uses the base name of the config file to determine the default build and install prefixes. E.g. if I give $ ecosconfig -C tree I get ecos_build, ecos_install in the current directory, just as configtool does. $ ecosconfig --config=this_project.ecc gives me this_project_(install|build) in the current directory, $ econconfig --config=/path/to/my_project.ecc gives my /path/to/my_project_(install|build)/, and so on. The --(build|install)-prefix options override these severally, so you can still do weird things if you want. Using ecosconfig w/o these options should work like it did before. Except that it will reject project files which don't have the .ecc extension, like configtool does. I have not tested it under MSVC or cygwin, but I think it should work; the change doesn't do any unixish file-name frobbing. You still have to provide absolute paths to the --(build|install)-prefix options, or the makefiles will fail. I think this should change to but I didn't have time to fix it now, as it will involve some non-trivial file-name munging and probably some non-portable stuff too. Ars longa, vita brevis. Tim S