* [ECOS] building redboot with eCos eernel
@ 2004-05-21 11:34 Michael Jastrebtsoff
From: Michael Jastrebtsoff @ 2004-05-21 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello, All.

I need to build Redboot with FAT support. But FAT requires eCos
kernel.

I try build Redboot with eCos kernel, but this don't work.(when i
connected to redboot via terminal, i'v  got a random chars on screen.)

--
Regards,
 Michael

* Re: [ECOS] building redboot with eCos eernel
@ 2004-05-21 12:44 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-05-21 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jastrebtsoff; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Michael Jastrebtsoff <jam2000@pisem.net> writes:

> Hello, All.
>
> I need to build Redboot with FAT support. But FAT requires eCos
> kernel.
>
> I try build Redboot with eCos kernel, but this don't work.(when i
> connected to redboot via terminal, i'v  got a random chars on screen.)

The FAT filesystem will not work in RedBoot since it requires too many
kernel facilities to work. You cannot put the kernel into RedBoot
since RedBoot is intended to be a stand alone application, there are
just too many assumptions for this to work.

The only use that RedBoot would have for FAT filesystem support is to
load executables. So a simple read-only loader similar to the one that
already exists for ext2 would be a better solution.

* Re[2]: [ECOS] building redboot with eCos eernel
@ 2004-05-22 22:52   ` Michael Jastrebtsoff
From: Michael Jastrebtsoff @ 2004-05-22 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello, Nick.

I wanted to use FAT with CompactFlash driver for updating the main
program(based on eCos kernel) from CF card. Probably I will be able to
implement FAT driver+high level disk driver+CF driver in read-only mode for
doing that.

Thanks a lot.

NG> The FAT filesystem will not work in RedBoot since it requires too many
NG> kernel facilities to work. You cannot put the kernel into RedBoot
NG> since RedBoot is intended to be a stand alone application, there are
NG> just too many assumptions for this to work.

NG> The only use that RedBoot would have for FAT filesystem support is to
NG> load executables. So a simple read-only loader similar to the one that
NG> already exists for ext2 would be a better solution.

NG> --
NG> Nick Garnett                    eCos Kernel Architect
NG> http://www.ecoscentric.com      The eCos and RedBoot experts

* Re: Re[2]: [ECOS] building redboot with eCos eernel
@ 2004-05-25 10:29     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-05-25 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jastrebtsoff; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Michael Jastrebtsoff <jam2000@pisem.net> writes:

> Hello, Nick.
>
> I wanted to use FAT with CompactFlash driver for updating the main
> program(based on eCos kernel) from CF card. Probably I will be able to
> implement FAT driver+high level disk driver+CF driver in read-only mode for
> doing that.

With the msdos filesystem reader pointed out elsewhere, you have most
of those pieces already. If the CF can be accessed via a TrueIDE
interface then the existing IDE driver should handle it just
fine. Otherwise you will have to adjust it a little to match the CF
card interface you do have.