* [ECOS] Running ECOS using the PPC simulator
@ 1999-04-26  2:13 Ilan Ovadia
From: Ilan Ovadia @ 1999-04-26  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
I've build an  environment for the PowerPC using the configuration tool
(PowerPC architecture, minimal simulator).
I tried to execute one of the tests by:
1. opening a bash shell
2. typing: powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0
    I've got the "gdb" prompt
3. typing: target sim -f
BASE_DIR/packages/hal/powerpc/sim/v1_1/runtime/tree
    I've got the message "Size or register ro (0) incorrect (1 instead
or 4))Connected to the simulator
4. typing: load
    I've got no message
5. typing: run
    I've got the message: Starting program:
/ecos/ppc/install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0.exe
    and the program never returned. When I hit the CTRL+Break I've
noticed
    that ECOS was running functions from clock.cxx.

Can any one assist.

Thanks,
Ilan

                            Ilan Ovadia
                            Abstract Ltd.
                            57A Stern St.
                            Kiryat Ono, Israel, 55602
                            Tel: 972-3-6051304
                            Fax: 972-3-6051156
                            MP: 972-51-522592
                            Email: ilano@abstract.co.il

* [ECOS] Re: Running ECOS using the PPC simulator
@ 1999-04-26  2:17 ` Ilan Ovadia
From: Ilan Ovadia @ 1999-04-26  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Ilan Ovadia wrote:

> Hi,
> I've build an  environment for the PowerPC using the configuration tool
> (PowerPC architecture, minimal simulator).
> I tried to execute one of the tests by:
> 1. opening a bash shell
> 2. typing: powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0
>     I've got the "gdb" prompt
> 3. typing: target sim -f
> BASE_DIR/packages/hal/powerpc/sim/v1_1/runtime/tree
>     I've got the message "Size or register ro (0) incorrect (1 instead
> or 4))Connected to the simulator
> 4. typing: load
>     I've got no message
> 5. typing: run
>     I've got the message: Starting program:
> /ecos/ppc/install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0.exe
>     and the program never returned. When I hit the CTRL+Break I've
> noticed
>     that ECOS was running functions from clock.cxx.
>
> Can any one assist.
>
> Thanks,
> Ilan
> --
>
>                             Ilan Ovadia
>                             Abstract Ltd.
>                             57A Stern St.
>                             Kiryat Ono, Israel, 55602
>                             Tel: 972-3-6051304
>                             Fax: 972-3-6051156
>                             MP: 972-51-522592
>                             Email: ilano@abstract.co.il

P.S.

 If i'm trying to run another test (clock0 for example), I get an error

"
message after the run command: cpu 1, cia 0xfff02008: program interrupt -
privileged instruction

Program terminated with signal ?, Unknown signal.
The program np longer exists.
"

thanks,
Ilan

* Re: [ECOS] Running ECOS using the PPC simulator
@ 1999-04-26  2:30 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 1999-04-26  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilan Ovadia; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ilan> Hi, I've build an environment for the PowerPC using the
Ilan> configuration tool (PowerPC architecture, minimal simulator).

Using the default configuration?

Ilan> I tried to execute one of the tests by:
[snip]

Here's the GDB output when I do it:

lassi:> powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0
GNU gdb 4.17-ecos-98r1p4
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.  This version of GDB is supported
for customers of Cygnus Solutions.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=powerpc-eabi"...
(gdb) target sim -f /local/ecc/ecc/ecc/hal/powerpc/sim/current/runtime/tree
Size of register r0 (0) incorrect (1 instead of 4))Connected to the simulator.
(gdb) load
(gdb) r
Starting program: /local/ecc/build/sim-powerpc/install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0
PASS:<Binary Semaphore 0 OK>
EXIT:<done>

The warning about register size can be ignored.

Ilan> and the program never returned.

A program never returns. If you just want the GDB prompt back, you
could set a breakpoint at cyg_test_exit before starting the test.

Or you can break execution. When I press C-c after the above output, I
get:

cyg_test_exit () at /local/ecc/ecc/ecc/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx:100
100             ;
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb)

I don't see the problem you reported when running the clock0
test. Notice that the problematic address is in ROM space. The PowerPC
simulator can only run tests configured for the minimal simulator, and
these are normally loaded at address 0x4000.

Perhaps you ran a test configured for the Cogent board by mistake?

Thanks,
Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] Running ECOS using the PPC simulator
@ 1999-04-26  3:34   ` Ilan Ovadia
From: Ilan Ovadia @ 1999-04-26  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

The problem is while I'm running the bin_sem0 test
I don't get the message

PASS:<Binary Semaphore 0 OK>
EXIT:<done>

Actually, when I set breakpoints in the functions
located in bin_sem0 file, the debugger doesn't stop.
It seems like  ECOS doesn't succeed to complete
the initialization phase and run the test.

Regards
Ilan

Jesper Skov wrote:

> Ilan> Hi, I've build an environment for the PowerPC using the
> Ilan> configuration tool (PowerPC architecture, minimal simulator).
>
> Using the default configuration?
>
> Ilan> I tried to execute one of the tests by:
> [snip]
>
> Here's the GDB output when I do it:
>
> lassi:> powerpc-eabi-gdb -nw install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0
> GNU gdb 4.17-ecos-98r1p4
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> Type "show copying" to see the conditions.  This version of GDB is supported
> for customers of Cygnus Solutions.  Type "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=powerpc-eabi"...
> (gdb) target sim -f /local/ecc/ecc/ecc/hal/powerpc/sim/current/runtime/tree
> Size of register r0 (0) incorrect (1 instead of 4))Connected to the simulator.
> (gdb) load
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /local/ecc/build/sim-powerpc/install/tests/kernel/bin_sem0
> PASS:<Binary Semaphore 0 OK>
> EXIT:<done>
>
> The warning about register size can be ignored.
>
> Ilan> and the program never returned.
>
> A program never returns. If you just want the GDB prompt back, you
> could set a breakpoint at cyg_test_exit before starting the test.
>
> Or you can break execution. When I press C-c after the above output, I
> get:
>
> Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
> cyg_test_exit () at /local/ecc/ecc/ecc/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx:100
> 100             ;
> Current language:  auto; currently c++
> (gdb)
>
> I don't see the problem you reported when running the clock0
> test. Notice that the problematic address is in ROM space. The PowerPC
> simulator can only run tests configured for the minimal simulator, and
> these are normally loaded at address 0x4000.
>
> Perhaps you ran a test configured for the Cogent board by mistake?
>
> Thanks,
> Jesper

                            Ilan Ovadia
                            Abstract Ltd.
                            57A Stern St.
                            Kiryat Ono, Israel, 55602
                            Tel: 972-3-6051304
                            Fax: 972-3-6051156
                            MP: 972-51-522592
                            Email: ilano@abstract.co.il

* Re: [ECOS] Running ECOS using the PPC simulator
@ 1999-04-26  3:44     ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 1999-04-26  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilan Ovadia; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ilan> The problem is while I'm running the bin_sem0 test I don't get
Ilan> the message

Ilan> PASS:<Binary Semaphore 0 OK> EXIT:<done>

Ilan> Actually, when I set breakpoints in the functions located in
Ilan> bin_sem0 file, the debugger doesn't stop.  It seems like ECOS
Ilan> doesn't succeed to complete the initialization phase and run the
Ilan> test.

Are you using the default configuration?

Could you try building the library and tests with the default
configuration in a new build directory to see if it makes a difference
(this would ensure that settings from a previous configuration/build
are not being used).

Jesper