* [ECOS] ZeroConf (Avahi, Bonjour) and the need for Multiple IPs
@ 2008-01-12 20:10 Paul McHale
From: Paul McHale @ 2008-01-12 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

We are considering implementing ZeroConf like functionality under eCos.  To
do this, we must support participating in the ZeroConf predertimined subnet.
This alone is simple enough provided there is support for multicasting and
we only wanted to participate in the ZeroConf subnet.

The problem we have is also participating in our customers non-ZeroConf
subnet simultaneously.  For Linux and Windows this is not a problem as more
than one IP can be supported by a single network device.  Is this possible
in eCos?  I would appreciate any recomendations regarding multiple IPs and
multicast support.

For those not familiar with ZeroConf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf Wikipedia

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7398680103951126462&q=Google+techtalks
Excellent YouTube video from the folks at Google

If you develop Ethernet products, you owe it to yourself to check out the
youtube video :)

Kind Regards,
Paul

* Re: [ECOS] ZeroConf (Avahi, Bonjour) and the need for Multiple IPs
@ 2008-01-12 20:13 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-01-12 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul McHale; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 12:09:47PM -0800, Paul McHale wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are considering implementing ZeroConf like functionality under eCos.  To
> do this, we must support participating in the ZeroConf predertimined subnet.
> This alone is simple enough provided there is support for multicasting and
> we only wanted to participate in the ZeroConf subnet.
>
> The problem we have is also participating in our customers non-ZeroConf
> subnet simultaneously.  For Linux and Windows this is not a problem as more
> than one IP can be supported by a single network device.  Is this possible
> in eCos?  I would appreciate any recomendations regarding multiple IPs and
> multicast support.

the IP stack in eCos is from FreeBSD from maybe 5 years ago. Take a
look at how you do multiple IP addresses on an interface on an old
FreeBSD system. Probably the same is true for eCos.

        Andrew