* [ECOS] Beginners' problem: pkgconf.tcl
@ 1999-05-16 18:24 John Mills
From: John Mills @ 1999-05-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Greetings -
I am just setting up eCos on a Linux/libc5 enviroment and would appreciate
some advice.

I had no problem building ecosSWtools-981021 for several targets under one
host (i586-gnu/linux). I built the three supported targets, and also built
the tools for 'sh-hitachi-elf' or future use and out of curiosity. The
tools now lie in:
  /usr/cygnus/ecosSWtools981021/H-i586-gnu/linux/[bin|<target-triplets>],
and ecos sources lie in:
  /usr/local/ecos-1.1 as suggested in the docs.
This was all done as 'root'.

  As an ordinary user I now created a working directory in (say):
~/cygnus/ecos-work and changed to that directory. Now when I try:

  % tclsh /usr/local/ecos-1.1/packages/pkgconf.tcl --help
I get the expected help message, but trying (say):
  % tclsh /usr/local/ecos-1.1/packages/pkgconf.tcl --targets
gets:
 "pkgconf fatal error: Unexpected error while processing
  /usr/local/ecos-1.1/packages/packages
  can't set "pkgconf::package_data": parent namespace doesn't exist"

Could someone please set me straight on running the configuration utility
and building the basic tests from the distribution? Setup and usage
suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks very much.

 Regards -
 John Mills

* Re: [ECOS] Beginners' problem: pkgconf.tcl
@ 1999-05-17  3:01 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 1999-05-17  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmmills; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    John>   As an ordinary user I now created a working directory in (say):
    John> ~/cygnus/ecos-work and changed to that directory. Now when I try:

    John>   % tclsh /usr/local/ecos-1.1/packages/pkgconf.tcl --help
    John> I get the expected help message, but trying (say):
    John>   % tclsh /usr/local/ecos-1.1/packages/pkgconf.tcl --targets
    John> gets:
    John>  "pkgconf fatal error: Unexpected error while processing
    John>   /usr/local/ecos-1.1/packages/packages
    John>   can't set "pkgconf::package_data": parent namespace doesn't exist"

    John> Could someone please set me straight on running the
    John> configuration utility and building the basic tests from the
    John> distribution? Setup and usage suggestions are also welcome.

This is a problem with some versions of tclsh (release 8.0 patchlevel
0, I believe). If you run the version of tclsh that is built as part
of the toolchain, or any later version of Tcl, then everything should
work as per the documentation.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer