From: Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>
To: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk>
Cc: ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] failure of "make tests" for Linux synthetic target
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 03:50:06AM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
> >
> > The build of the linux synthetic target for eCOS seemed to go OK, but
> > when I did a "make tests" it failed because of what appears to be a
> > linker configuration problem.  I could add bss4 and bss5 sections to
> > target.ld by hand, but that doesn't sound too kosher.

[...]

> Try 'objdump --section-headers install/lib/libtarget.a | grep -10 bss4'

No bss[45] sections ins libtarget.a or vectors.o.

However, extras.o does contain bss[45] sections:

> What versions of the tools are you using? i.e. ' i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -v'.

$ i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.1/specs
gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release)

I just build the copiler last week -- I initially tried to use the
version that came with RH6.0: gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
(egcs-1.1.2 release).  But, there were some options used by the ecos
makefiles that it didn't support.

If this us just something that is due to my using a newer version of
gcc than was used when the eCOS distribution was set up, then I'll add
bss[45] sections to the .ld file and assume it's not a problem.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com