* [ECOS] Path from eCos to ARM 'aif' format?
@ 1999-11-22  2:49 Mick Patrick
From: Mick Patrick @ 1999-11-22  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

We want to target code developed using eCos to a particular HW/SW co-verifier.
This tool has an ARM7TDMI model but unfortunately it at present requires the
older aif (Arm Intermediate Format) as source to their proprietary utility that
generates S-Records and associated debug information files.

We looked at using ARM's fromelf utility to translate elf generated using
arm-elf-gcc, but it transpires that fromelf is very ARM toolchain specific.

Can anyone help with the immediate problem of getting code with eCos compiled
and down to aif?

Thanks

Mick

--
* Mick Patrick, Cadence Design Systems, VCC PV, 1 Alba Campus, Livingston,
*       EH54 7HH, Scotland. Tel +44 1506 596125  Fax +44 1506 595959

* [ECOS] Re: Path from eCos to ARM 'aif' format?
@ 1999-11-22  7:17 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 1999-11-22  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mickp; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Mick> We want to target code developed using eCos to a particular
    Mick> HW/SW co-verifier. This tool has an ARM7TDMI model but
    Mick> unfortunately it at present requires the older aif (Arm
    Mick> Intermediate Format) as source to their proprietary utility
    Mick> that generates S-Records and associated debug information
    Mick> files.

    Mick> We looked at using ARM's fromelf utility to translate elf
    Mick> generated using arm-elf-gcc, but it transpires that fromelf
    Mick> is very ARM toolchain specific.

    Mick> Can anyone help with the immediate problem of getting code
    Mick> with eCos compiled and down to aif?

If you can make do with just S-Records at the end of the day, it
should be possible to coax objcopy into generating those.

If you really do need aif support then I do not think there is a
simple solution. There is no support in the GNU tools for that format,
and it seems unlikely that any such support will be added at this
stage. Unless you can coax the ARM tools into doing the right thing
somehow I suspect you are out of luck.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

* [ECOS] elf for thumb
@ 1999-11-24 18:48   ` Lance Uyehara
From: Lance Uyehara @ 1999-11-24 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

Now that we're migrating over to the elf tools I want to find out if a
thumb compiler or compiler switch is available with the ecos development
tools for arm.

Thanks,
Lance

* Re: [ECOS] elf for thumb
@ 1999-11-25  8:08     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 1999-11-25  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lance; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Lance Uyehara wrote:

> Now that we're migrating over to the elf tools I want to find out if a
> thumb compiler or compiler switch is available with the ecos development
> tools for arm.

If you are talking about just the compiler, then you can use gcc 2.95.2 from
http://egcs.cygnus.com/

You will also need a recent binutils from
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils

However there are quite a few changes required in eCos itself to support a
thumb target, so you would need to do a port. Alternatively, Cygnus provides
thumb support under it's early access program, see the following for
details: http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/hardware.html

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...