* [ECOS] eCos Networking support
@ 2000-06-28  1:13 Amit Agrawal
From: Amit Agrawal @ 2000-06-28  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

    I m  Porting  eCos along
with TCP/IP implementation for PC as target system.     I m
trying to patch-up PPP( Point to Point Protocol )openBSD code to the existing
networking support provided by eCos, Please guide me how to go about
it. Reply ASAP Thanx Amit Agrawal Software
Engineer Aftek Infosys Ltd. Pune-9, Maharashtra,
India

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Networking support
@ 2000-06-28  8:04 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-28  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Agrawal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Amit Agrawal wrote:
>
>     I m  Porting  eCos along with TCP/IP implementation for PC as target
> system.

Cool! It would be really good if the community could benefit from it.

>     I m trying to patch-up PPP( Point to Point Protocol )openBSD code to
> the existing networking support provided by eCos, Please guide me how to
> go
> about it.

I don't know about the details of the stack itself (I'll leave that to
others), but I would say that a very important thing is to work from the
public anonymous CVS repository - there's been a lot of progress in the
network support beyond that currently present in the "official" EPKs. See
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/anoncvs.html

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Networking support
@ 2000-06-28  8:09   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-06-28  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: amita, ecos-discuss

>     I m trying to patch-up PPP( Point to Point Protocol )openBSD code to
> the existing networking support provided by eCos, Please guide me how to
> go
> about it.

If you look down the source tree of the network code there are a few
doc directories which give some usefull implementation details. Id Use
these as a place to get started.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Networking support
@ 2000-06-28 12:03   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-06-28 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 04:04:12PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> I don't know about the details of the stack itself (I'll leave
> that to others), but I would say that a very important thing is
> to work from the public anonymous CVS repository - there's been
> a lot of progress in the network support beyond that currently
> present in the "official" EPKs. See
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/anoncvs.html

We're currently doing internal beta-test of a product that uses
eCos 1.3.1 and the "official" networking EPK file with some
patches to fix mutex problems (these patches have been
incorporated into the CVS tree).

I recently read through some of the history files in the
networking CVS tree, but It's pretty difficult for an outsider
to evaluate the risk/return associated with switching to a
current CVS snapshot.  Is there a higher-level (dumbed-down)
description of what's changed other than that in the history
files?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Networking support
@ 2000-06-28 13:31     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-06-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote:

> I recently read through some of the history files in the
> networking CVS tree, but It's pretty difficult for an outsider
> to evaluate the risk/return associated with switching to a
> current CVS snapshot.  Is there a higher-level (dumbed-down)
> description of what's changed other than that in the history
> files?

Not really. Stuff worthy of going in the NEWS file is probably _too_
high-level for that purpose. Other than that, the ChangeLog's really are
the best record, and we try to make them pretty thorough.

But the choice of what constitutes an "important" change depends most of
all on the application using the code, so it's unlikely we'd find the right
balance for everyone. It can only be up to you to determine the
significance of the changes, and the consequent risk to your app involved;
which is why the ChangeLogs are there. For anything more than that... well
that's why we sell support :-).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Networking support
@ 2000-06-28 13:33       ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-06-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:31:44PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> But the choice of what constitutes an "important" change
> depends most of all on the application using the code, so it's
> unlikely we'd find the right balance for everyone. It can only
> be up to you to determine the significance of the changes, and
> the consequent risk to your app involved; which is why the
> ChangeLogs are there. For anything more than that... well
> that's why we sell support :-).

I suppose it's hard to make a living if you give _everything_
away for free. :)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com