From: Bart Veer <bartv@redhat.com>
To: gshubin@sonic.net
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    Greg> When I tried to build the ECOS tools on FreeBSD, I found
    Greg> that the configure script makes a few (Linux-centric?)
    Greg> assumptions about where tcl is installed. For one, it
    Greg> assumes a single version in a single location (e.g. /usr),
    Greg> where the include and lib directories can be found.

    Greg> tcl on FreeBSD allows for having several versions installed,
    Greg> so there are sudirectories for the include and lib files,
    Greg> e.g. /usr/local/include/tcl8.0 and
    Greg> /usr/local/include/tcl8.2, and the same for the libraries.

    Greg> Looking at our local Solaris (SunOS 5.1) it seems like there
    Greg> is a hybrid, i.e. there is one /usr/loca/include/tcl.h, but
    Greg> there are several lib subdirectories, /usr/local/lib/tcl8.x.

    Greg> I started to play around with modifying configure, but then
    Greg> I found that ecosconfig ran just fine under FreBSD's Linux
    Greg> compatiibility. It looked like you could add a new variable
    Greg> for the library, something like 'with-tcl-lib', and use
    Greg> 'with-tcl' for the include directory.

This has been raised before, see e.g. the thread
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2000-06/msg00090.html
There are various complications caused by concurrent installs, the use
of symbolic links, subtly different conventions between Unix vs.
Windows vs. cygwin, and so on.

As long as the standard Tcl configure script has been used, if you
specify the same path for Tcl's --prefix and the eCos tools'
--with-tcl, everything should just work. On systems with an unusual
setup this might involve downloading and rebuilding Tcl.

The SunOS setup you describe actually looks right. There should be
/usr/local/include/tcl.h, a /usr/local/lib/libtcl.a (probably a
symbolic link to e.g. libtcl8.0.a), and a directory
/usr/local/lib/tcl8.0/ with auxiliary Tcl scripts. Specifying
--with-tcl=/usr/local should work just fine.

I also have some experimental patches to the relevant autoconf macro
and hence to the various configure scripts, to cope with more unusual
setups, but those are not ready for prime time yet.

Bart