* Re: [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
@ 2000-09-12  9:42 Deborah Bennett
From: Deborah Bennett @ 2000-09-12  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>     Deborah> I am trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7. I found
>     Deborah> the reasonable README in tools/src/ which I am following.
>     Deborah> This file doesn't give the relative path to the configure
>     Deborah> script, but I found one in
>     Deborah> tools/src/tools/configtool/standalone/common which I am
>     Deborah> using.
>
>     <snip>
>
> You need to build the entire host-side tree and not just ecosconfig,
> since the latter relies on various libraries such as libcdl.a. You
> should be using the configure script that is in the same directory as
> the README file. That will take care of all the required
> subdirectories in the appropriate order.

Thank you Bart, this was the trick. The README isn't that specific
about which configure script to use in the tools/src tree
(and I found several). I used tools/src/configure and the configure
worked properly the first time.

> With appropriate care it is possible to use the lower-level configure
> scripts, but those are really intended for use only by the
> maintainers. The top-level configure script is for general use.

This makes sense and explains what I was seeing.
Thanks again.

-deborah bennett

* Re: [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
@ 2000-09-12 10:27 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-09-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deborah.Bennett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    >> You need to build the entire host-side tree and not just
    >> ecosconfig, since the latter relies on various libraries such
    >> as libcdl.a. You should be using the configure script that is
    >> in the same directory as the README file. That will take care
    >> of all the required subdirectories in the appropriate order.

    Deborah> Thank you Bart, this was the trick. The README isn't that
    Deborah> specific about which configure script to use in the
    Deborah> tools/src tree (and I found several). I used
    Deborah> tools/src/configure and the configure worked properly the
    Deborah> first time.

I have updated the README file to make things clearer (hopefully).
The presence of multiple configure scripts is in large part just the
way autoconf and automake expect to be used, and there is not a lot I
can do about that. I might be able to add some sanity checks to the
various lower-level configure scripts, so that the problem is caught
earlier and a sensible diagnostic is given, something I'll try to look
into at some point.

Bart

* Re: [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
@ 2000-09-12 11:17 Deborah Bennett
From: Deborah Bennett @ 2000-09-12 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gshubin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Deborah Bennett wrote:

> > This produced a Makefile which I was able to use to run
> > make and make install sucessfully.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who sent email to help me with this.
> >
> > -deborah bennett
>
> Just wondering, did you use GNU make or Solaris make?

GNU Make version 3.75. Good question, and sorry I didn't
make that point clear.

-deborah

* Re: [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
@ 2000-09-12 11:13 ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-12 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deborah Bennett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2000-09-12 10:47 Deborah Bennett
From: Deborah Bennett @ 2000-09-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

>     Deborah> I am trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7. I found
>     Deborah> the reasonable README in tools/src/ which I am following.
>     Deborah> This file doesn't give the relative path to the configure
>     Deborah> script, but I found one in
>     Deborah> tools/src/tools/configtool/standalone/common which I am
>     Deborah> using.
>
>     <snip>
>
> You need to build the entire host-side tree and not just ecosconfig,
> since the latter relies on various libraries such as libcdl.a. You
> should be using the configure script that is in the same directory as
> the README file. That will take care of all the required
> subdirectories in the appropriate order.

I have now sucessfully built ecosconfig for Solaris 7.
Here are some notes I compiled.

1) You must use c++ (gcc) 2.9. 2.8 will not work. You will get an
   internal compiler error. (I didn't debug this problem, but I
   could reproduce it if someone wants to see the message).
   I don't think this is currently noted in the README.

2) As someone else noted tangentially, you must use the
   --with-tcl-version flag to configure, since Solaris Tcl installs
   can be multi-version.

3) As is already noted in the tools/src/README file, you must use
   Tcl version 8.

4) As Bart noted earlier in this thread, use tools/src/configure.

I did my tools build from tools/src/build. Here is the configure
command which worked for me (note /pkg/local is where I get
my tools, $CODEMGR_WS is the top of the ecos tree):

../configure --prefix=$CODEMGR_WS/tools/install.solaris --with-tcl=/pkg/local
--with-tcl-version=8.0

@ 2000-09-12 10:06     ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-09-12 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gshubin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Greg> When I tried to build the ECOS tools on FreeBSD, I found
    Greg> that the configure script makes a few (Linux-centric?)
    Greg> assumptions about where tcl is installed. For one, it
    Greg> assumes a single version in a single location (e.g. /usr),
    Greg> where the include and lib directories can be found.

    Greg> tcl on FreeBSD allows for having several versions installed,
    Greg> so there are sudirectories for the include and lib files,
    Greg> e.g. /usr/local/include/tcl8.0 and
    Greg> /usr/local/include/tcl8.2, and the same for the libraries.

    Greg> Looking at our local Solaris (SunOS 5.1) it seems like there
    Greg> is a hybrid, i.e. there is one /usr/loca/include/tcl.h, but
    Greg> there are several lib subdirectories, /usr/local/lib/tcl8.x.

    Greg> I started to play around with modifying configure, but then
    Greg> I found that ecosconfig ran just fine under FreBSD's Linux
    Greg> compatiibility. It looked like you could add a new variable
    Greg> for the library, something like 'with-tcl-lib', and use
    Greg> 'with-tcl' for the include directory.

This has been raised before, see e.g. the thread
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2000-06/msg00090.html
There are various complications caused by concurrent installs, the use
of symbolic links, subtly different conventions between Unix vs.
Windows vs. cygwin, and so on.

As long as the standard Tcl configure script has been used, if you
specify the same path for Tcl's --prefix and the eCos tools'
--with-tcl, everything should just work. On systems with an unusual
setup this might involve downloading and rebuilding Tcl.

The SunOS setup you describe actually looks right. There should be
/usr/local/include/tcl.h, a /usr/local/lib/libtcl.a (probably a
symbolic link to e.g. libtcl8.0.a), and a directory
/usr/local/lib/tcl8.0/ with auxiliary Tcl scripts. Specifying
--with-tcl=/usr/local should work just fine.

I also have some experimental patches to the relevant autoconf macro
and hence to the various configure scripts, to cope with more unusual
setups, but those are not ready for prime time yet.

Bart

* Re: [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
@ 2000-09-12  9:54   ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-12  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Deborah.Bennett, ecos-discuss

(I hate it when the phone rings and I hit the send button too soon.)

I forgot to mention that you need to modify about four or five configure files
below the main one the same way.

@ 2000-09-12  9:49   ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-12  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Deborah.Bennett, ecos-discuss

@ 2000-09-12  6:21 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-09-12  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deborah.Bennett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

       [not found] <200009120909.CAA20410@cygnus.com>
@ 2000-09-12  6:07 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-09-12  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjs; +Cc: Deborah.Bennett, ecos-discuss

@ 2000-09-12  2:09 ` Robert Swindells
From: Robert Swindells @ 2000-09-12  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deborah.Bennett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

[Problems with building ecosconfig deleted]

You need to build and install both infra and libcdl before building
ecosconfig itself.

The configure script for ecosconfig assumes that all the headers have
been copied to /usr/local/include.

Robert Swindells

* [ECOS] trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7
@ 2000-09-11 19:08 Deborah Bennett
From: Deborah Bennett @ 2000-09-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am trying to build ecosconfig for Solaris 7.

I found the reasonable README in tools/src/ which I am following.
This file doesn't give the relative path to the configure script,
but I found one in  tools/src/tools/configtool/standalone/common
which I am using.

I discovered that this configure script inherently assumes that
the build directory (from where you will execute configure
and then do the make) must be in tools/src/tools/configtool/standalone.
I created the build directory (tools/src/tools/configtool/standalone/build)
and ran configure from there.
I got configure to run to completion and create a Makefile.
However, when I try to run make, I get these errors:

c++ -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Woverloaded-virtual
-DPACKAGE=\"ecosconfig\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\"  -I. -I../common  -I../../../../infra
-I../common/../../../../libcdl -I/pkg/local/include
-I../common/../../common/common    -g -O2 -c ../common/ecosconfig.cxx
In file included from ../common/../../../../libcdl/cdl.hxx:57,
                 from ../common/cdl_exec.hxx:25,
                 from ../common/ecosconfig.cxx:48:
../common/../../../../libcdl/cdlcore.hxx:85: cyg/infra/cyg_type.h: No such file
or directory
../common/../../../../libcdl/cdlcore.hxx:89: cyg/infra/cyg_ass.h: No such file
or directory

The files which can't be found are located in tools/src/infra, but
there is no "cyg" in their pathname. Note also that the -I directives
do include the infra directory.

Has anyone gotten this to work? I'm puzzled how an include file
in "tools/src/infra" could be found in <cyg/infra>. Have I found
a bug, or is there something I'm missing? I saw some mail in
the August mail archives from someone else who said he got the host-side tools
to build on Solaris 7, but then they dumped core.

Thanks in advance,
-deborah bennett