* [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-21 12:58 Stephen Williams
From: Stephen Williams @ 2000-11-21 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Well, I got the sh-elf compiler tools compiled on my Linux/alpha machine,
and now I'm trying to work with eCos-1.3.1. I configured the tools
like so:

   /usr/local/src/ecos-1.3.1/tools/src/configure  --with-tcl=/usr

and I'm compiling with:

	icarus.com % rpm -q egcs
	egcs-1.1.2-24
	icarus.com % rpm -q egcs-c++
	egcs-c++-1.1.2-24

(I'm running RedHat 6.2/alpha.)

When it compiles libcdl, I get a *lot* of warnings about use of possibly
unused variables, but the compile completes.

	ecosconfig list

works, but

	ecosconfig target sh7708

seg faults.

Before I delve into a deep debugging session with this, are there any
obvious starting points?

steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,

* Re: [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-21 17:39 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-21 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Williams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stephen Williams wrote:

> Well, I got the sh-elf compiler tools compiled on my Linux/alpha machine,
> and now I'm trying to work with eCos-1.3.1. I configured the tools
> like so:
>
>    /usr/local/src/ecos-1.3.1/tools/src/configure  --with-tcl=/usr
>
> and I'm compiling with:
>
>         icarus.com % rpm -q egcs
>         egcs-1.1.2-24
>         icarus.com % rpm -q egcs-c++
>         egcs-c++-1.1.2-24
>
> (I'm running RedHat 6.2/alpha.)
>
> When it compiles libcdl, I get a *lot* of warnings about use of possibly
> unused variables, but the compile completes.
>
>         ecosconfig list
>
> works, but
>
>         ecosconfig target sh7708
>
> seg faults.
>
> Before I delve into a deep debugging session with this, are there any
> obvious starting points?

There have been several issues with exception handling in older compilers.
If it was easy for you to try gcc 2.95.2, and an updated libstdc++, that
would probably be no bad thing.

Also you may want to use the version of the host sources in anonymous CVS;
this change may help you:

2000-08-18  Bart Veer  <bartv@redhat.com>

        * base.cxx, build.cxx, cdl.hxx, cdlcore.hxx, component.cxx,
        config.cxx, database.cxx, dialog.cxx, expr.cxx, interface.cxx,
        interp.cxx, option.cxx, package.cxx, parse.cxx, value.cxx,
        wizard.cxx
        Remove C++ exception specifications, because they cause problems
        with some versions of the tools.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-21 18:01   ` Stephen Williams
From: Stephen Williams @ 2000-11-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> Also you may want to use the version of the host sources in anonymous
> CVS; this change may help you:

icarus.com % ecosconfig new sh7708
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_NET: warning
    This package is not present in the component repository.
    There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/tcpip'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPLIB: warning
    This package is not present in the component repository.
    There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/lib'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPAGENT: warning
    This package is not present in the component repository.
    There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/agent'.
Segmentation fault

Guess not.

jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> There have been several issues with exception handling in older
> compilers. If it was easy for you to try gcc 2.95.2, and an updated
> libstdc++, that would probably be no bad thing.

Well, I'm a little nervous about that because the compiler I have is known
to compile the linux-2.2.x kernels properly for Linux/alpha. Also, I have
open source projects of my own that are written in C++ and I need to be able
to make RPMS that I can expect 6.2 users be able to run.

Although I'm a relatively experienced programmer, I try to keep things
canonical for my user's sake. But if I must...

(I'm simply amazed by the volume and complexity of the *host* tools for
this embedded O/S. eCos might be a decent O/S, if I can ever get to it:-)

icarus.com % gdb /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig
GNU gdb 19991004
This GDB was configured as "alpha-redhat-linux"...
(gdb) run new sh7708
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig new sh7708
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_NET: warning
    This package is not present in the component repository.
    There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/tcpip'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPLIB: warning
    This package is not present in the component repository.
    There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/lib'.
ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPAGENT: warning
    This package is not present in the component repository.
    There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/agent'.

0x120086730 in evaluate_subexpr (context=@0x11fffa3a0, expr=0x1203f37e8,
    subexpr_index=2, result=@0x11fff5bd0)
    at /usr/include/g++-2/std/bastring.h:76
76	    void release () { if (--ref == 0) delete this; }
(gdb) where
#0  0x120086730 in evaluate_subexpr (context=@0x11fffa3a0, expr=0x1203f37e8,
#1  0x12008325c in evaluate_subexpr (context=@0x11fffa3a0, expr=0x1203f37e8,
    subexpr_index=4, result=@0x11fffa330)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/expr.cxx:1716
#2  0x12009c4c8 in CdlExpressionBody::eval_internal (this=0xa53e0008a75dffff,
    context=@0x120414712, result=@0x1202a7d2a)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/expr.cxx:2065
#3  0x12009fd64 in CdlExpressionBody::eval (this=0x1203f37e8,
    context=@0x11fffa3a0, result=@0x11fffa330)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/expr.cxx:2386
#4  0x1201421a8 in CdlValuableBody::calculated_update_handler (
    transaction=0x1203e71b0, source=0x1203fe4d8, prop=0x1203f37a0,
    dest=0x1202a7d2a, change=CdlUpdate_Init)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/value.cxx:1944
#5  0x1200d29d4 in CdlProperty_ExpressionBody::update (this=0x1203f37a0,
    transact=0x1203e71b0, source=0x1203fe4d8, dest=0x0, change=CdlUpdate_Init)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/property.cxx:728
#6  0x1200fc084 in CdlLoadableBody::bind (this=0x1204169c8,
    transaction=0x1203e71b0)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/base.cxx:1245
#7  0x12025bdc0 in CdlConfigurationBody::load_package (this=0x11fffcce0,
    transaction=0x1203e71b0, name={static npos = 18446744073709551615,
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
      static nilRep = Cannot access memory at address 0x0
)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/config.cxx:861
#8  0x120261e80 in CdlConfigurationBody::set_hardware (this=0x11fffe108,
    transaction=0x1203e71b0, target_name={static npos = 18446744073709551615,
      static nilRep = Cannot access memory at address 0x0
)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/libcdl/config.cxx:1075
#9  0x12000d574 in cdl_exec::cmd_new (this=0x11fffe4d0, cdl_hardware={
      static npos = 18446744073709551615, static nilRep = Cannot access memory at address 0x0
)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/tools/configtool/standalone/common/cdl_exec.cxx:143
#10 0x120004fa0 in main (argc=3, argv=0x11ffff708)
    at /usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/host/tools/configtool/standalone/common/ecosconfig.cxx:282
(gdb)

@ 2000-11-21 18:14     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-21 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Williams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stephen Williams wrote:

> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > Also you may want to use the version of the host sources in anonymous
> > CVS; this change may help you:
>
> icarus.com % ecosconfig new sh7708
> ecos.db, package CYGPKG_NET: warning
>     This package is not present in the component repository.
>     There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/tcpip'.
> ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPLIB: warning
>     This package is not present in the component repository.
>     There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/lib'.
> ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPAGENT: warning
>     This package is not present in the component repository.
>     There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/agent'.
> Segmentation fault
>
> Guess not.

Host sources, not target sources!

> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > There have been several issues with exception handling in older
> > compilers. If it was easy for you to try gcc 2.95.2, and an updated
> > libstdc++, that would probably be no bad thing.
>
> Well, I'm a little nervous about that because the compiler I have is known
> to compile the linux-2.2.x kernels properly for Linux/alpha. Also, I have
> open source projects of my own that are written in C++ and I need to be able
> to make RPMS that I can expect 6.2 users be able to run.

Perhaps rebuilt gcc 2.95.2 from source then, rather than installing an RPM
that would replace your default system gcc. If you build from source you
can install it to somewhere private.

You could even get the sources from the source RPM.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-21 18:38       ` Stephen Williams
From: Stephen Williams @ 2000-11-21 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> Host sources, not target sources!

Yes, it is the host program (ecosconfig) that is crashing. I haven't
even *got* to the target sources. I have checked out the anonymous cvs
version of eCos, which includes the host tools. I recompiled the host
tools and now I am trying to run them. I can list the packages with
"ecosconfig list", but anything else gets me a core.

This is frustrating because the web pages claim that all this stuff was
tested under RedHat 6.1, but I guess that doesn't include Linux/alpha.
Grrr! Even RedHat treats us alpha owners as second class citizens:-(

jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> Perhaps rebuilt gcc 2.95.2 from source then, rather than installing an
> RPM that would replace your default system gcc. If you build from
> source you can install it to somewhere private.

Oh, I should have thought of that, silly me. But what about libstdc++?
Will it work with the precompiled libstdc++ or am I going to need to ...
Oh nevermind, I should be able to figure that out for myself.

But as a point of reference, the web page does say:

	"The Linux version has been tested under Red Hat Linux 6.1
	(and later releases)..."

and I'm using the canonical compiler for RedHat 6.2.

@ 2000-11-21 20:06         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Williams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stephen Williams wrote:
[snip]
> > ecos.db, package CYGPKG_SNMPAGENT: warning
> >     This package is not present in the component repository.
> >     There is no directory `/usr/local/src/ecos-cvs/ecos/packages/net/snmp/agent'.
> > Segmentation fault
>
> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > Host sources, not target sources!
>
> Yes, it is the host program (ecosconfig) that is crashing.

Sorry I misread what you were showing me. I thought it was the errors at
the top, which are in fact just warnings.

> This is frustrating because the web pages claim that all this stuff was
> tested under RedHat 6.1, but I guess that doesn't include Linux/alpha.
> Grrr! Even RedHat treats us alpha owners as second class citizens:-(

This web page predates being assimilated into Red Hat, and the pedantry
level for documentation that was required wasn't quite high enough then.
Sometimes we even misspelt Red Hat as Redhat ;-).

You are completely correct though and I've clarified the web page in
question. But if one of our customers chooses to use an alpha host in
future, I'm sure we'll all be happier then :-).

The reason for my doubts was that I *have* heard of successes on alpha
linux, so there is hope :).

> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > Perhaps rebuilt gcc 2.95.2 from source then, rather than installing an
> > RPM that would replace your default system gcc. If you build from
> > source you can install it to somewhere private.
>
> Oh, I should have thought of that, silly me. But what about libstdc++?
> Will it work with the precompiled libstdc++ or am I going to need to ...
> Oh nevermind, I should be able to figure that out for myself.

gcc 2.95.2 sources include libstdc++.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-21 20:20           ` Stephen Williams
From: Stephen Williams @ 2000-11-21 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> The reason for my doubts was that I *have* heard of successes on alpha
> linux, so there is hope :)

If there is hope, I shall keep up the fight. Especially if my questions
keep getting answered. It would be nice, if I manage to succeed, if
the required steps are written down somewhere so the next Linux/alpha
user will be able to find it.

jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> gcc 2.95.2 sources include libstdc++.

The issue is how to make sure the right libstdc++-*.so is brought in
at runtime by a program that is compiled by a compiler and C++ library
installed in a non-standard place. (Whew!( This is what I must figure
out in order to get gcc-2.95.X to coexist with my existing compiler.

This is something I should be able to handle, though. It's rather time-
consuming and I would just like some reasonable hope that it will solve
the problem at hand.

@ 2000-11-21 21:29             ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-21 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Williams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stephen Williams wrote:

> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > The reason for my doubts was that I *have* heard of successes on alpha
> > linux, so there is hope :)
>
> If there is hope, I shall keep up the fight. Especially if my questions
> keep getting answered. It would be nice, if I manage to succeed, if
> the required steps are written down somewhere so the next Linux/alpha
> user will be able to find it.

Write a FAQ entry and I'll gladly put it in.

> jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk said:
> > gcc 2.95.2 sources include libstdc++.
>
> The issue is how to make sure the right libstdc++-*.so is brought in
> at runtime by a program that is compiled by a compiler and C++ library
> installed in a non-standard place. (Whew!( This is what I must figure
> out in order to get gcc-2.95.X to coexist with my existing compiler.

I think gcc 2.95.2 only tries to build libstdc++ statically so this may be
somewhat of a non-issue (except that the resulting ecosconfig may be a bit
plump).

> This is something I should be able to handle, though. It's rather time-
> consuming and I would just like some reasonable hope that it will solve
> the problem at hand.

I can't honestly say it is a certainty - but it's one of the first things
I'd try; or at least I'd say building gcc is easier than debugging libcdl
:). I was rather hoping another Alpha linux user would pipe up though.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-22 11:38             ` Stephen Williams
From: Stephen Williams @ 2000-11-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

steve@icarus.com said:
> Yes, it is the host program (ecosconfig) that is crashing. I haven't
> even *got* to the target sources.

Compiling the tools with gcc 2.95.2 cures the Seg faults. That suggests
that the 1.3.1 release host tools will also compile and run.

So, to get the host tools to run under Linux/alpha, one must install
the gcc 2.95.2 compiler, or (*shiver*) upgrade to RedHat 7.0, which
doesn't exist. (In fact, I see no RPMS for gcc 2.95.2 for the alpha,
so alpha users are going to have to compile the host compiler themselves.)

@ 2000-11-22 11:50               ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Williams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stephen Williams wrote:

> steve@icarus.com said:
> > Yes, it is the host program (ecosconfig) that is crashing. I haven't
> > even *got* to the target sources.
>
> Compiling the tools with gcc 2.95.2 cures the Seg faults. That suggests
> that the 1.3.1 release host tools will also compile and run.
>
> So, to get the host tools to run under Linux/alpha, one must install
> the gcc 2.95.2 compiler, or (*shiver*) upgrade to RedHat 7.0, which
> doesn't exist. (In fact, I see no RPMS for gcc 2.95.2 for the alpha,
> so alpha users are going to have to compile the host compiler themselves.)

I've added the following to the FAQ. Feel free to give me an alternative
version :).

<h4><A NAME="problems_alpha">Host tools build problems on Alpha
systems</A></H4>

It has been reported that egcs-1.1.2 is not capable of building the eCos
host-side tools (ecosconfig, etc.). Alpha users should use at least
gcc 2.95.2 to compile these tools.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Trouble running ecosconfig under Linux/alpha
@ 2000-11-23  2:18               ` Robin Farine
From: Robin Farine @ 2000-11-23  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Williams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> So, to get the host tools to run under Linux/alpha, one must install
> the gcc 2.95.2 compiler, or (*shiver*) upgrade to RedHat 7.0, which
> doesn't exist. (In fact, I see no RPMS for gcc 2.95.2 for the alpha,
> so alpha users are going to have to compile the host compiler themselves.)

(-;
   As an alternative, alpha users could use the Debian2.2r1 (potato)
   distrib. which includes gcc 2.95.2
;-)

Robin