From: Bart Veer <bartv@redhat.com>
To: zhouhongtu@sina.com
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] GNU C for 8/16 bits CPU?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:39:00 -0000	[thread overview]

     > Could I get the GNU C tools for 8/16 bits CPU? for example
     > 80188. If could ,how can I get?
     > ______________________________________

The internal architecture of gcc is not well-suited to supporting 8 or
16 bit processors. A small number of such processors are supported,
e.g. I believe the mn10200 is 16-bit, and there is an 8-bit port for
AVR microcontrollers. I am not aware of any port to the 80188: the
use of segmented memory rather than a flat address space, and hence
the need for various memory models, makes it difficult to support any
x86 processor prior to the 386.

For further information check the gcc web pages and mailing lists,
http://gcc.gnu.org/

Bart