* Re: [ECOS] Porting to H8S
@ 2001-03-08 23:34 hansi hansi
From: hansi hansi @ 2001-03-08 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>From: Bart Veer <bartv@redhat.com>
>To: hansi86@hotmail.com
>CC: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Porting to H8S
>Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:24:24 GMT

>      > I have in mind that eCos is designed for 16, 32 and 64bit CPUs,
>      > isn't it?
>
>Correct, although to date it has only really been ported to 32-bit
>CPUs. There is no fundamental reason why eCos could not be ported to
>64-bit platforms, but obviously there may well be problems lurking
>here and there. To date nobody has contributed patches related to
>64-bit support or paid for Red Hat to do the relevant work.
>
>Similarly it should be possible to run eCos on at least some 16-bit
>CPUs, although that term is rather more ambiguous than 32-bit or
>64-bit.
>
>      > I'm sure that the work would not be easy.
>      > Another thing that I saw is that the GNUPro tools not supports
>      > ELF with the H8. Is this a problem?
>
>That is likely to be a problem. Some of the compiler/linker
>functionality that eCos uses, e.g. constructor priority ordering, are
>relatively easy when using ELF image format but not with older
>formats.
>
>Bart

Is the problem for a to old implementation of the compiler or is the problem
inside the COFF format. Do you think that there is a way to make an port to
the H8S?

Thanks
Hansi

* Re: [ECOS] Porting to H8S
@ 2001-03-09  6:01 hansi hansi
From: hansi hansi @ 2001-03-09  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks a lot

>From: Bart Veer <bartv@redhat.com>
>To: hansi86@hotmail.com
>CC: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Porting to H8S
>Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:42:22 GMT

>     >> > Another thing that I saw is that the GNUPro tools not supports
>     >> > ELF with the H8. Is this a problem?
>     >>
>     >> That is likely to be a problem. Some of the compiler/linker
>     >> functionality that eCos uses, e.g. constructor priority
>     >> ordering, are relatively easy when using ELF image format but
>     >> not with older formats.
>
>     Hansi> Is the problem for a to old implementation of the compiler
>     Hansi> or is the problem inside the COFF format. Do you think that
>     Hansi> there is a way to make an port to the H8S?
>
>The problem is with COFF format. Things like constructor priority
>ordering and linker garbage collection are implemented using large
>numbers of linker sections. Older image formats like a.out and COFF
>limit the number of linker sections you can have, ELF does not. To
>port eCos to the H8 it would probably be easiest to implement ELF
>support in the compiler and binutils first, rather than try to modify
>eCos to work around tool limitations. For more information on what
>might be involved, see the binutils and gcc projects on
>sources.redhat.com.
>
>Bart

* Re: [ECOS] Porting to H8S
@ 2001-03-08  5:28 hansi hansi
From: hansi hansi @ 2001-03-08  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cplessl, ecos-discuss

I have in mind that eCos is designed for 16, 32 and 64bit CPUs, isn't it?
I'm sure that the work would not be easy.
Another thing that I saw is that the GNUPro tools not supports ELF with the
H8. Is this a problem?

Thanks!

>>I don't know if anyone can help me. I have searched already into the
>>ecos-discus list for an porting of H8 to ecos and I have found only very
>>old messages.
>>Can anyone say me if it is a possible to port (compiler and so on) eCos to
>>an H8S?
>
>Hitachi H8 is a 16bit uC as far as I know. Altough it seems that gcc
>supports H8, I suppose you will get into trouble if porting a 32bit
>operating system as eCos, if you dont have really good knowledge about
>porting an OS.
>
>/Chris
>

>--
>Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch>

* [ECOS] Porting to H8S
@ 2001-03-08  3:52 hansi hansi
From: hansi hansi @ 2001-03-08  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I don't know if anyone can help me. I have searched already into the
ecos-discus list for an porting of H8 to ecos and I have found only very old
messages.
Can anyone say me if it is a possible to port (compiler and so on) eCos to
an H8S?
Thanks for any hint!