* [ECOS] Anybody doing IP multicast?
@ 2001-05-22  8:03 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-05-22  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

A customer of mine is considering using our platform (including
eCos) for a project that requires IP multicast support.  Last
time I looked, the stack contained multicast support, but
nobody had tried it.

Has anybody tried multicast?

Is anybody aware of any reasons it can't work? (e.g. Missing
pieces Ethernet driver API or something like that...)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] Anybody doing IP multicast?
@ 2001-05-22  8:41 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2001-05-22  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: eCos Disuss

> Is anybody aware of any reasons it can't work? (e.g. Missing
> pieces Ethernet driver API or something like that...)

Well for the i82559, there is no API call to set up the multicast
address list. Maybe this is not actually needed. You could put the
device into promisc mode and receive everything, and then dump whats
not needed. Alternativly, the device may actually receive multicast
MAC addresses already and you just have to filter out whats
interesting?

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Anybody doing IP multicast?
@ 2001-05-22  8:44   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-05-22  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 05:41:05PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > Is anybody aware of any reasons it can't work? (e.g. Missing
> > pieces Ethernet driver API or something like that...)
>
> Well for the i82559, there is no API call to set up the
> multicast address list. Maybe this is not actually needed. You
> could put the device into promisc mode and receive everything,
> and then dump whats not needed. Alternativly, the device may
> actually receive multicast MAC addresses already and you just
> have to filter out whats interesting?

So, it sounds like the chances of it working as-is with stock
ethernet drivers are pretty slim.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com