* [ECOS] ecos and ks32c50100
@ 2001-07-31  3:47 Christoph Obermair
From: Christoph Obermair @ 2001-07-31  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi everybody,

i am working with a ks32c50100-custom-board at the moment. my aim is to
run a tcp/ip-stack and one or two other small applications on it. the
board has 128k ram and 512k flash-rom.
i think ecos could be a good solution for my little project.

so, i've already read some mails in the archive of this list concerning
ecos on a ks32c50100-board, but none of them was really helpful. is there
already an existing port?

i read something about a port for the snds100. if this port exists, can i
use it for my custom-board without any further changes?

i saw that there are two tcp/ip-implementaions: the one from ecos and
another one from tristan gingold. why are there two different stacks?

besides, do i have enough memory at all to run a tcp/ip-stack an my
board???

i hope somebody can help me a little bit. thanks in advance.

christoph

* Re: [ECOS] ecos and ks32c50100
@ 2001-07-31  7:21 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-31  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Obermair; +Cc: ecos-discuss, grante

Christoph Obermair wrote:

> hi everybody,
>
> i am working with a ks32c50100-custom-board at the moment. my aim is to
> run a tcp/ip-stack and one or two other small applications on it. the
> board has 128k ram and 512k flash-rom.
> i think ecos could be a good solution for my little project.
>
> so, i've already read some mails in the archive of this list concerning
> ecos on a ks32c50100-board, but none of them was really helpful. is there
> already an existing port?

The evaluator 7t port uses this part.

> i read something about a port for the snds100. if this port exists, can i
> use it for my custom-board without any further changes?

We have just started integrating the SNDS port, but it won't be complete
for a little while. Perhaps we (or Grant) can make Grant's original work
available to you directly in the interim, just by e-mailing it?

> i saw that there are two tcp/ip-implementaions: the one from ecos and
> another one from tristan gingold. why are there two different stacks?

Tristan's one predates the eCos one. Frankly, it probably doesn't work any
more, but I haven't the guts to remove it.

> besides, do i have enough memory at all to run a tcp/ip-stack an my
> board???

Probably not. Here's what was written before:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
From some simple measurements, the difference between including and not
including the stack appears to be about 121944 bytes code, 3944 bytes
initialized data, and 296940 bytes BSS, 256K of which is networking
buffers.

The buffer size cannot be shrunk down to near 0 though. Hugo would know
better what the minimal requirements for this are. I've quoted below some
things he wrote before that indicate that 128K is almost certainly the
absolute minimum, otherwise you may never receive 64K packets. So you can
subtract 128K off that 296940 bytes BSS to give the minimum. And as he
says, there will potentially be more overruns/lost data even with that
minimum.

This is for an app that includes read, write and select. Values may differ
more with extra functions as large sections of the stack may be brought in
due to selective linking. But probably not.

Hugo wrote:
> The default value is fairly generous.  You should be quite safe
> resizing this down by half.  The layout of how that chunk of memory
> gets used is automatic:
>   1/4 - general space, used for bookkeeping data
>   1/4 - small network buffers
>   1/2 - large network buffers
>
> ... time passes <tick, tick, tick>
>
> I have just verified that the stack will work with less (128K) memory.
> I did uncover some problems, which are now fixed, where the system
> simply shut down in some cases where it ran out of memory.  In any
> case, with less memory you will have to face the possibility of lost
> data and/or memory overruns/exhaustion.  But the system will continue
> to work :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I don't know if (assuming you got it working) Tristan's one would be
smaller.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] ecos and ks32c50100
@ 2001-07-31  7:59 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-07-31  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Obermair; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:47:14PM +0200, Christoph Obermair wrote:

> i am working with a ks32c50100-custom-board at the moment. my aim is to
> run a tcp/ip-stack and one or two other small applications on it. the
> board has 128k ram and 512k flash-rom.
>
> i think ecos could be a good solution for my little project.
>
> so, i've already read some mails in the archive of this list concerning
> ecos on a ks32c50100-board, but none of them was really helpful. is there
> already an existing port?

I'll package up the Ethernet driver and the HAL and put them on
my ftp site today.  I'll send a URL to the list once it's there.

> i read something about a port for the snds100. if this port exists, can i
> use it for my custom-board without any further changes?

You might have to change the routines that deal with the PHY.

The HAL should work as is.  Except: my HAL package only
impliments the RAM-startup model (code is in RAM) and it
assumes that memory has already been configured with RAM
starting at 0.  If you want to run with ROM at 0, it will need
some changes.  At one point I had hacked up the ARM platform
support routines to support that, but I gave up on it for two
reasons:

 1) Running with ROM at 0 prevented me from being able to burn
    flash in my app.

 2) Maintaining a set of parallel, non-standard ARM startup
    code was a pain.

> i saw that there are two tcp/ip-implementaions: the one from
> ecos and another one from tristan gingold. why are there two
> different stacks?

IIRC, Tristan Gingold's stack came out before the "official"
eCos stack.

> besides, do i have enough memory at all to run a tcp/ip-stack
> an my board???

128K of RAM is going to be pretty tight if you want to do
TCP/IP and you're executing out of RAM.  If you're executing
out of ROM, then you should be able to squeek by OK, but the
HAL will need to be modified for that.

Enabling the 8K cache will alleviate most of the slowdown you
would otherwise see running with text in ROM.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] ecos and ks32c50100
@ 2001-07-31 10:16   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-07-31 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Obermair; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:00:54AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> > i am working with a ks32c50100-custom-board at the moment. my
> > aim is to run a tcp/ip-stack and one or two other small
> > applications on it. the board has 128k ram and 512k flash-rom.
> >
> > i think ecos could be a good solution for my little project.
> >
> > so, i've already read some mails in the archive of this list
> > concerning ecos on a ks32c50100-board, but none of them was
> > really helpful. is there already an existing port?
>
> I'll package up the Ethernet driver and the HAL and put them on
> my ftp site today.  I'll send a URL to the list once it's there.

ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/ecos

contains the following

ks32c5000-current.epk

  Ethernet driver for Samsung KS32C5000 and S3C4510.  The ics1890 phy code
  works on the old SNDS board.  I think the new SNDS-100 board has a
  levelone lxt970 PHY. Code for the lxt970 PHY is included but hasn't been
  test on a newer SNDS board -- it might need tweaking.

  If so, please send me a patch.  Or, if you want to send me a newer
  SNDS board, I can fix it myself...

snds-current.epk

  HAL package for Samsung SNDS and SNDS-100 eval boards.  You've got to
  select which CPU you have and configure the clock speed correctly.  Debug
  is on serial port #1 57.6K, 8, none.

  Assumes you've got RAM at 0.  Memory configuration program example below.

memconfig.tar.gz

  Example memory configure program you can download into processor's static
  RAM and execute to remap DRAM to 0 and FLASH to 0x1000000.

gdbinit.example

  Example of my .gdbinit file that contains macros to force processor into a
  benign state, configure memory using above program, and load a file.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] ecos and ks32c50100
@ 2001-08-02  2:13     ` Christoph Obermair
From: Christoph Obermair @ 2001-08-02  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

 --- Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> schrieb:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:00:54AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >
> > I'll package up the Ethernet driver and the HAL and put them on
> > my ftp site today.  I'll send a URL to the list once it's there.
>
> ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/ecos

hi grant,

thank you very much for these sources. i think they'll help a lot. but i have expirienced some
problems building a kernel library:
first i tried build it using the cvs-package-repository. when saying "ecosconfig new snds" i got
the following reply:

C CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_SNDS, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_BIGENDIAN
C CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_CPU_FAMILY, Illegal current value unknown
  Legal values are:  (CYGINT_HAL_ARM_ARCH_ARM7 != 0) ? "ARM7" : ""
                          (CYGINT_HAL_ARM_ARCH_ARM9 != 0) ? "ARM9" : ""
                          (CYGINT_HAL_ARM_ARCH_STRONGARM != 0) ? "StrongARM" : ""
                          (CYGINT_HAL_ARM_ARCH_XSCALE != 0) ? "XScale" : ""
                          ""

using the 1.3.1-standard-repository went a little better. after succesfuls "ecosconfig new snds"
and "ecosconfig tree" i typed "make", where i finally got the following error:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/ecos-work/hal/arm/arch/v1_3_1'
make -r -C hal/arm/snds/current build
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/ecos-work/hal/arm/snds/current'
arm-elf-gcc -c  -I/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/ecos-work/install/include
-I/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current
-I/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current/src
-I/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current/tests -I.
-I/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current/src/ -mcpu=arm7tdmi -mbig-endian -Wall
-Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Winline -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc -finit-priority
-Wp,-MD,src/hal_diag.tmp -o src/hal_arm_snds_hal_diag.o
/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current/src/hal_diag.c
/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current/src/hal_diag.c:15: cyg/hal/hal_if.h: No such
file or directory
/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/packages/hal/arm/snds/current/src/hal_diag.c:16: cyg/hal/hal_misc.h: No such
file or directory
make[1]: *** [src/hal_diag.o.d] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/ecos-work/hal/arm/snds/current'
make: *** [build] Error 2

i've been working on this for while, but i couldn't make it out. can you help me please?

christoph

* Re: [ECOS] ecos and ks32c50100
@ 2001-08-02 10:31       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-02 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christoph.obermair; +Cc: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

Christoph Obermair wrote:

>  --- Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> schrieb:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:00:54AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll package up the Ethernet driver and the HAL and put them on
> > > my ftp site today.  I'll send a URL to the list once it's there.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/ecos
> >

> hi grant,
>
> thank you very much for these sources. i think they'll help a lot. but i have expirienced some
> problems building a kernel library:
> first i tried build it using the cvs-package-repository. when saying "ecosconfig new snds" i got
[snip]

You have to use it with anonymous CVS, not v1.3.1. Get it from
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html

Jifl