* [ECOS] SNDS package from Grant Vine
@ 2001-08-06 21:38 Vaughan Daly (Mpos)
From: Vaughan Daly (Mpos) @ 2001-08-06 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all

I must be missing something, I tried to include the packages I downloaded
form Grant, and tried to put in the snds package, which worked, then I tried
to build the package, and it complained about some missing files. I then
downloaded the latest CVS source, and found the missing files. I then
installed the latest config 2.04 and tried to add the packages to that, and
got the error about the file pkgadd.txt missing. Can someone just give me
the best pointer to sorting this out. I would prefer to use the latest
source from CVS, so if you have a solution in that direction, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Vaughan

* Re: [ECOS] SNDS package from Grant Vine
@ 2001-08-07 10:07 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-07 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Daly (Mpos); +Cc: ecos-discuss

> I must be missing something, I tried to include the packages I
> downloaded form Grant, and tried to put in the snds package,
> which worked, then I tried to build the package, and it
> complained about some missing files.

Is it the src/redboot/*c files that it's complaining about?

> I then downloaded the
> latest CVS source, and found the missing files. I then
> installed the latest config 2.04 and tried to add the packages
> to that, and got the error about the file pkgadd.txt missing.

Ah, apparently something has been added to the .epk format.

> Can someone just give me the best pointer to sorting this out.
> I would prefer to use the latest source from CVS, so if you
> have a solution in that direction, I would greatly appreciate
> it.

Just guessing:

  Untar the package file in an empty directory:

    $ mkdir tmp
    $ tar -C tmp -xzvf snds-current.epk

  Create a pkgadd.txt file:

    $ echo "pkgadd.txt file contents" >tmp/pkgadd.txt

  Recreate the tarball:

    $ tar -C tmp -czvf snds-current.epk pkgadd.txt pkgadd.db hal

I'll remove the references to src/redboot and I'll try to find
out what belongs in pkgadd.txt.  Hopefully I can put a fixed .epk
file up on my ftp site this evening after my vollyball game.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] SNDS package from Grant Vine
@ 2001-08-08  7:29 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-08  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Daly (Mpos); +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 12:43:24PM +0800, Vaughan Daly (Mpos) wrote:

> I must be missing something, I tried to include the packages I
> downloaded form Grant, and tried to put in the snds package,
> which worked, then I tried to build the package, and it
> complained about some missing files.

I've deleted the extra "compile" command from the redboot build
options.  That should fix the missing file error when building
redboot.  If there are other missing file errors, you're going
to have to let me know what the error messages are.

> I then downloaded the latest CVS source, and found the missing
> files. I then installed the latest config 2.04 and tried to add
> the packages to that, and got the error about the file
> pkgadd.txt missing.

The Component Writers Guide says that the pkgadd.txt file is
optional.  Is it now required?

In any case, I've added a stub pkgadd.txt file to the .epk
tarball.

An updated package file is at

 ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/ecos/snds-current.epk

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] SNDS package from Grant Vine
@ 2001-08-08  8:07   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-08  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote:

> > I then downloaded the latest CVS source, and found the missing
> > files. I then installed the latest config 2.04 and tried to add
> > the packages to that, and got the error about the file
> > pkgadd.txt missing.
>
> The Component Writers Guide says that the pkgadd.txt file is
> optional.  Is it now required?
>
> In any case, I've added a stub pkgadd.txt file to the .epk
> tarball.

I just tried it just to check and it does appear to be optional. I don't
know why it would complain pkgadd.txt is missing then - you'd have to
investigate.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] SNDS package from Grant Vine
@ 2001-08-08  8:33     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-08  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:07:30PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
> >
> > > I then downloaded the latest CVS source, and found the missing
> > > files. I then installed the latest config 2.04 and tried to add
> > > the packages to that, and got the error about the file
> > > pkgadd.txt missing.
> >
> > The Component Writers Guide says that the pkgadd.txt file is
> > optional.  Is it now required?
> >
> > In any case, I've added a stub pkgadd.txt file to the .epk
> > tarball.
>
> I just tried it just to check and it does appear to be optional. I don't
> know why it would complain pkgadd.txt is missing then - you'd have to
> investigate.

I never saw that error when I was playing with it, but I'm
using and older, command-line config tool:

ecosconfig 1.3.1.2 (Nov 21 2000 14:14:26)
Copyright (c) 2000 Red Hat, Inc.

I haven't tried the GUI version in a long time.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] SNDS package from Grant Vine
@ 2001-08-09  6:11     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-09  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:07:30PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> > > I then downloaded the latest CVS source, and found the missing
> > > files. I then installed the latest config 2.04 and tried to add
> > > the packages to that, and got the error about the file
> > > pkgadd.txt missing.
> >
> > The Component Writers Guide says that the pkgadd.txt file is
> > optional.  Is it now required?
> >
> > In any case, I've added a stub pkgadd.txt file to the .epk
> > tarball.
>
> I just tried it just to check and it does appear to be optional. I don't
> know why it would complain pkgadd.txt is missing then - you'd have to
> investigate.

Several people have now reported to me that it causes an error
when they add the package without a pkgadd.txt using the Win32
configure tool version 2.04.  Putting a pkgadd.txt into the
tarball makes it happy.

The updated snds-current.epk file on my ftp site now contains a
pkgadd.txt file.  You must use a recent (within the last 6
months or so) CVS shapshot -- it will not compile with 1.3.1.

NB: The HAL package assumes you have RAM at address 0x0000000.
    My ftp site includes an example memory config program that
    I download and run to re-map memory before I download ecos
    applications.