From: <aacquaviva@deis.unibo.it>
To: <ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: [ECOS] udp problem & network stack questions
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:13:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,
I have some question regarding tcp/ip.

1. I tried to set-up an udp client-server application between my strongarm
platform and the PC. The server downloads an mpeg compressed stream to the
client-decoder after a request message. When the server starts to download,
the client send me the "recv out of MBUFS" error message. What could be the
reason? How can I trace the work of network threads to debug this problem?

2. Using a tcp/ip connection (that works) I noticed that the decoding time
of the mpeg3 decoder doubles if during the decoding the network threads are
active.
More clearly, the test I've done to understand why the mpeg3 decoder was not
real-time is the following:

- The client initializes the interfaces (init_all_network_interfaces)
- connects to the server
- starts decoding taking encoded frames from the memory

The decoding time in this case is double with respect to the secoding time I
get without the first two steps. Is it possible such a performance
decreasing only caused by the presence of network threads?

3. What's the difference in using Free instead of OpenBSD?  Is there any
performance hints?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Andrea Acquaviva.