* [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 10:46 Koeller, T.
From: Koeller, T. @ 2002-06-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

Hi,

is anybody currently reviewing patches that have been submitted to
ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com? The reason why I'm asking is that
I submitted quite a couple of those, but almost never got any response
from the developers. I had to make those changes because some things
just wouldn't work the way they were, and there's a schedule for the
project I'm working on. If my changes are good, I'd like to see them
integrated into ecos as soon as possible, so I do not have to maintain
a patched source tree indefinitely. If I made mistakes or missed any
important aspects, I'd like to be pointed at those errors, so I can
fix them. However, I got a feeling that every patch submitted is absorbed
by some kind of black hole, something I find quite annoying.

Any comments?
tk
Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies
An der Strusbek 60-62
22926 Ahrensburg
Germany

Tel +49 (4102) 463-390
Fax +49 (4102) 463-46390

mailto:Thomas.Koeller@baslerweb.com
http://www.baslerweb.com

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 11:05 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-06-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.; +Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

Koeller, T. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is anybody currently reviewing patches that have been submitted to
> ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com? The reason why I'm asking is that
> I submitted quite a couple of those, but almost never got any response
> from the developers. I had to make those changes because some things
> just wouldn't work the way they were, and there's a schedule for the
> project I'm working on. If my changes are good, I'd like to see them
> integrated into ecos as soon as possible, so I do not have to maintain
> a patched source tree indefinitely. If I made mistakes or missed any
> important aspects, I'd like to be pointed at those errors, so I can
> fix them. However, I got a feeling that every patch submitted is absorbed
> by some kind of black hole, something I find quite annoying.

They aren't in a black hole. They will get reviewed. However we've got a
slight situation that we haven't got clarity about what to do with the
patches once approved! There are somewhat political reasons behind this
:-|. This _will_ get resolved, but unfortunately we aren't able to do so in
the near term.

But do rest assured that the patches are not forgotten. (e.g. I'm not keen
on the libsupc++ patch, but I'll comment on that in the right on place).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 13:35 ` Gary Thomas
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-06-20 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koeller, T.; +Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 11:43, Koeller, T. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anybody currently reviewing patches that have been submitted to
> ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com? The reason why I'm asking is that
> I submitted quite a couple of those, but almost never got any response
> from the developers. I had to make those changes because some things
> just wouldn't work the way they were, and there's a schedule for the
> project I'm working on. If my changes are good, I'd like to see them
> integrated into ecos as soon as possible, so I do not have to maintain
> a patched source tree indefinitely. If I made mistakes or missed any
> important aspects, I'd like to be pointed at those errors, so I can
> fix them. However, I got a feeling that every patch submitted is absorbed
> by some kind of black hole, something I find quite annoying.
>
> Any comments?

As far as I can tell, your messages *are* going down into a black hole.
Are you getting "requires approval" or "requires moderation" replies?

In any case, feel free to post them to the normal ecos-discuss list and
I think they'll see more eyes.

Sorry for the problems (those lists are out of our hands)

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 14:26   ` David N. Welton
From: David N. Welton @ 2002-06-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> writes:

> Sorry for the problems (those lists are out of our hands)

Is it time for an infrastructure change, at this point?

I would suggest, for one thing, grabbing a good hostname that can be
used to host a web page, even if the provider/hosting service switches
around.

This would be one small, but useful step in marketing the project as
an open source project in its own right, instead of the 'comunity
code' of some particular corporation.  Tcl went down a bad path for
the longest time, and only now has 'www.tcl.tk', which caused no end
of trouble.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 18:28   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-06-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Koeller, T., ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

Gary Thomas wrote:

> As far as I can tell, your messages *are* going down into a black hole.
> Are you getting "requires approval" or "requires moderation" replies?

Actually as Gary and I discovered off-list, Gary thought he was on the
mailing list and actually wasn't, and therefore assumed the list was
broken. Gary, FYI, you can see what you've missed at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches

> In any case, feel free to post them to the normal ecos-discuss list and
> I think they'll see more eyes.

I'd like to start moving patches and discussions there. Even if there's a
temporary hiatus before they get applied.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 18:32     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-06-20 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David N. Welton; +Cc: Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

"David N. Welton" wrote:

> Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> writes:
>
> > Sorry for the problems (those lists are out of our hands)
>
> Is it time for an infrastructure change, at this point?

It could be argued. However there's a lot of history with the current
setup. And of course sources.redhat.com provides a lot of infrastructure
and resources that we'd need to duplicate and pay for.... and without a
company behind it it's more difficult. Unless we moved to SourceForge or
similar.

> I would suggest, for one thing, grabbing a good hostname that can be
> used to host a web page, even if the provider/hosting service switches
> around.

All the good domains are taken of course :-). Although we have a few ideas
which we could use if we did decide to move after all. I won't mention them
to prevent domain squatting.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-21  1:21   ` Holger Schurig
From: Holger Schurig @ 2002-06-21  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Koeller, T.; +Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

> As far as I can tell, your messages *are* going down into a black
> hole.

No, I've got them via the mailing list.

> In any case, feel free to post them to the normal ecos-discuss list
> and I think they'll see more eyes.

That's not necessary because the -devel mailing list works well.

* RE: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 15:51 ` Scott Dattalo
From: Scott Dattalo @ 2002-06-20 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, James Dabbs wrote:

> Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> writes:
>
> > I would suggest, for one thing, grabbing a good hostname that can be used
> to host a web page, even if the provider/hosting
> > service switches around.
>
> I agree.  Even if a decision to use eCos is made on technical merits, it's
> unknown current standing is enough of a problem for a product/program
> manager to reach down and nix a decision to use it.  Before RedHat chucked
> it, commercial OS companies already seemed to have a sales-call routine down
> sling FUD if eCos came up ("eCos?  Oh that's just a shareware thing, isn't
> it?").  Every day the ecos "brand" is in limbo, it will suffer in terms of
> design wins, and ultimately, user community.

And then there are places where Open Source is viewed as a "Good Thing".
My boss is amazed that in the course of a week and a half that I was able
to get an application ported over to a new OS (eCos) and new hardware
platform using just open source tools. The project is by no means complete
- but the point I'm trying to make is that not everyone discounts Open
Source software for commercial development solely because it's Open
Source. The current flux in Redhat's support for eCos has had no effect on
the technical or business decisions for my particular project. Other
places may be different...

Scott

* Re: [ECOS] patches reviewed?
@ 2002-06-20 15:43 ` David N. Welton
From: David N. Welton @ 2002-06-20 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Dabbs; +Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

Actually, I wrote that:-)

> www.os-ecos.org and www.ecos-os.org are available.

Yeah, the second one is pretty good: ecos-os.{org,net,com} are all
available...

--

@ 2002-06-20 15:32 James Dabbs
From: James Dabbs @ 2002-06-20 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)

Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> writes:

> I would suggest, for one thing, grabbing a good hostname that can be used
to host a web page, even if the provider/hosting
> service switches around.

I agree.  Even if a decision to use eCos is made on technical merits, it's
unknown current standing is enough of a problem for a product/program
manager to reach down and nix a decision to use it.  Before RedHat chucked
it, commercial OS companies already seemed to have a sales-call routine down
sling FUD if eCos came up ("eCos?  Oh that's just a shareware thing, isn't
it?").  Every day the ecos "brand" is in limbo, it will suffer in terms of
design wins, and ultimately, user community.

www.os-ecos.org and www.ecos-os.org are available.

James Dabbs, TGA