* [ECOS] Sid for Windows ! HELP
@ 2003-01-09  8:44 Stefano Gallina
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefano Gallina @ 2003-01-09  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I have been advised to use SID for simulating a
device, but i was wonderig if SID is available for
Windows too and where i could find the complete
application without building it by myself.
Cheers.

             Stefano

=====
First they ignore you
   Then they laugh at you
      Then they fight you
         Then you win

            Mahatma Gandhi

* RE: [ECOS] Sid for Windows ! HELP
@ 2003-01-09 10:00 ` Robert Cragie
From: Robert Cragie @ 2003-01-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Gallina, ecos-discuss

Hi Stefano,

> I have been advised to use SID for simulating a
> device, but i was wonderig if SID is available for
> Windows too and where i could find the complete
> application without building it by myself.

SID should build and run OK under the cygwin environment
(http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/) on Windows. I confess I have not tried
it. However, you will have to build it yourself as there are no pre-built
binaries for Windows. This is not normally a problem to do - there have been
posts on the SID mailing lists
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/sid/2002-q3/msg00093.html) confirming that
this has been done successfully.

However, looking at your earlier question, it's not entirely clear to me
what you are trying to achieve

> I can write my assemby programs with this toolkit by i
> can't simulate the serial port communication using
> busy-waiting mode.
> I was wondering if it is possible to this using Ecos
> and the xscale toolkit.

Are you:

1) Trying to simulate the operation of the serial port on an xscale
processor using a software simulator/emulator and wish to use a
scheduler-based OS to get blocking serial port I/O?
2) Implying that you have a hardware platform based on xscale on which you
need to run a scheduler-based OS to get blocking serial port I/O?
3) Something else?

If it's (1) then you can use SID, as Gary Thomas pointed out, although I
imagine there would be quite a lot of work involved in setting up a suitable
simulated hardware environment for xscale.
If it's (2), then xscale is already supported in eCos - pick the most
appropriate platform.

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com  Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655

* Re: Sid for Windows ! HELP
@ 2003-01-09 18:28 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2003-01-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Gallina; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stefano Gallina <warx_sg@yahoo.com> writes:

> I have been advised to use SID for simulating a
> device, but i was wonderig if SID is available for
> Windows too [...]

Like Robert said, we don't post sid binaries, and even if we did, they
may not be useful for your specific purpose.  sid doesn't include
StrongArm2 (xscale) specialized models for the CPU.  How badly would
you want it?

- FChE

* [ECOS] Building SID for Linux and for Windows -- HELP
@ 2003-01-16 10:24 ` Stefano Gallina
From: Stefano Gallina @ 2003-01-16 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

my professor wants that i test sid so i was wondering
how build it.
I downloaded the source but i found some file called
Makefile.am or Makefile.in.
Anybody could help me to build SID ?
Did i download the wrong source ?
I downloaded the source with CVS from a RedHat server
?
Please help me.

           Stefano

=====
First they ignore you
   Then they laugh at you
      Then they fight you
         Then you win

            Mahatma Gandhi

* Re: [ECOS] Building SID for Linux and for Windows -- HELP
@ 2003-01-16 10:47   ` Gary D. Thomas
From: Gary D. Thomas @ 2003-01-16 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Gallina; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 11:24, Stefano Gallina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my professor wants that i test sid so i was wondering
> how build it.
> I downloaded the source but i found some file called
> Makefile.am or Makefile.in.
> Anybody could help me to build SID ?
> Did i download the wrong source ?
> I downloaded the source with CVS from a RedHat server
> ?
> Please help me.

This question would be best answered by the SID experts.  You could send
them email at sid@sources.redhat.com.

There is also some documentation available at
  http://sources.redhat.com/sid
Look particularly at
  http://sources.redhat.com/fom-serv/sid/cache/6.html

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |