* [ECOS] eCos Configuration Tool snapshots
@ 2003-04-01 15:37 John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2003-04-01 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am making unsupported pre-built snapshots of the eCos Configuration Tool
(configtool) available for testing.

The configtool is now being built against wxWindows 2.4.0 (the latest stable
release) using GNU tools for both Windows and Linux hosts. I would
appreciate as much feedback as possible on the snapshots prior to the eCos
2.0 final release. Please consider switching to a snapshot build rather
than using the configtool which shipped with eCos 2.0 beta.

Further information and download details are available at:

  http://www.ecoscentric.com/devzone/configtool.html

Thank you

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Configuration Tool snapshots
@ 2003-04-01 17:02 ` Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2003-04-01 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

> I am making unsupported pre-built snapshots of the eCos Configuration Tool
> (configtool) available for testing.
>
> The configtool is now being built against wxWindows 2.4.0 (the latest stable
> release) using GNU tools for both Windows and Linux hosts. I would
> appreciate as much feedback as possible on the snapshots prior to the eCos
> 2.0 final release. Please consider switching to a snapshot build rather
> than using the configtool which shipped with eCos 2.0 beta.
>
> Further information and download details are available at:
>
>   http://www.ecoscentric.com/devzone/configtool.html

I see a problem running the windows version.  When I double-click
on the file in explorer (or a shortcut to it) I get a pop-up window:

$ configtool-030328.exe - Unable to locate DLL.
$ The dynamic link library cygwin.dll could not be found in the specified
$ path.

This looks to be because C:\cygwin\bin is not in my windows path - but the
version of the config tool shipped with v2_0b1 did not require this.

--
Chris

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Configuration Tool snapshots
@ 2003-04-01 17:19   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2003-04-01 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Garry; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Chris

On Tuesday 01 Apr 2003 18:04, you wrote:

> I see a problem running the windows version.  When I double-click
> on the file in explorer (or a shortcut to it) I get a pop-up window:
>
> $ configtool-030328.exe - Unable to locate DLL.
> $ The dynamic link library cygwin.dll could not be found in the specified
> $ path.
>
> This looks to be because C:\cygwin\bin is not in my windows path - but
> the version of the config tool shipped with v2_0b1 did not require this.

That is correct. The configtool shipped with eCos 2.0 beta 1 was built with
Visual C++ and did not require the Cygwin system DLL.

You should be able to create a Windows shortcut to the configtool executable
file which specifies your Cygwin 'bin' directory (eg "C:\cygwin\bin") as
the working directory. Cygwin1.dll will then be found when the configtool
is invoked using the shortcut.

@ 2003-04-02 10:46     ` Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2003-04-02 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Hi Chris
>
> On Tuesday 01 Apr 2003 18:04, you wrote:
>
> > I see a problem running the windows version.  When I double-click
> > on the file in explorer (or a shortcut to it) I get a pop-up window:
> >
> > $ configtool-030328.exe - Unable to locate DLL.
> > $ The dynamic link library cygwin.dll could not be found in the specified
> > $ path.
> >
> > This looks to be because C:\cygwin\bin is not in my windows path - but
> > the version of the config tool shipped with v2_0b1 did not require this.
>
> That is correct. The configtool shipped with eCos 2.0 beta 1 was built with
> Visual C++ and did not require the Cygwin system DLL.
>
> You should be able to create a Windows shortcut to the configtool executable
> file which specifies your Cygwin 'bin' directory (eg "C:\cygwin\bin") as
> the working directory. Cygwin1.dll will then be found when the configtool
> is invoked using the shortcut.
>
> John Dallaway
> eCosCentric Limited
>
> --

Hi John,

Changing the 'Start in:' directory of the config tool shortcut to "C:\cygwin\bin"
allows the tool to run.  It all looks to work fine so long as the eCos repository
is on the same machine.

If however I set the repository to one on another (Win2K) machine, the configuration
tool opens and for each entry in the ecos.db file, I see an error like this:

    ecos.db, package PACKAGE_NAME: warning
    This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.

When this is over the tool then closes itself, without giving the opportunity to
change the repository.

Chris

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Configuration Tool snapshots
@ 2003-04-02 10:58       ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2003-04-02 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Garry; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Chris

On Wednesday 02 Apr 2003 11:47, you wrote:

> If however I set the repository to one on another (Win2K) machine, the
> configuration tool opens and for each entry in the ecos.db file, I see an
> error like this:
>
>     ecos.db, package PACKAGE_NAME: warning
>     This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
>
> When this is over the tool then closes itself, without giving the
> opportunity to change the repository.

A couple of questions:

a) Do you observe this problem with the configtool which shipped with eCos
2.0 beta as well as with the snapshot build?

b) Is the remote file system being referenced via a logical drive letter (eg
"H:\ecos\packages") or via a UNC path (eg "\\host\share\ecos\packages")?

@ 2003-04-02 11:02         ` Chris Garry
From: Chris Garry @ 2003-04-02 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Hi Chris
>
> On Wednesday 02 Apr 2003 11:47, you wrote:
>
> > If however I set the repository to one on another (Win2K) machine, the
> > configuration tool opens and for each entry in the ecos.db file, I see an
> > error like this:
> >
> >     ecos.db, package PACKAGE_NAME: warning
> >     This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
> >
> > When this is over the tool then closes itself, without giving the
> > opportunity to change the repository.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> a) Do you observe this problem with the configtool which shipped with eCos
> 2.0 beta as well as with the snapshot build?

No, this is only seen with the snapshot build.

> b) Is the remote file system being referenced via a logical drive letter (eg
> "H:\ecos\packages") or via a UNC path (eg "\\host\share\ecos\packages")?

via a UNC path.

Chris

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Configuration Tool snapshots
@ 2003-04-02 11:29           ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2003-04-02 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Garry; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Chris

On Wednesday 02 Apr 2003 12:03, you wrote:

> > > If however I set the repository to one on another (Win2K) machine,
> > > the configuration tool opens and for each entry in the ecos.db file,
> > > I see an error like this:
> > >
> > >     ecos.db, package PACKAGE_NAME: warning
> > >     This package does not have any valid version subdirectories.
> > >
> > > When this is over the tool then closes itself, without giving the
> > > opportunity to change the repository.

> > A couple of questions:
> >
> > a) Do you observe this problem with the configtool which shipped with
> > eCos 2.0 beta as well as with the snapshot build?
>
> No, this is only seen with the snapshot build.
>
> > b) Is the remote file system being referenced via a logical drive
> > letter (eg "H:\ecos\packages") or via a UNC path (eg
> > "\\host\share\ecos\packages")?
>
> via a UNC path.

OK, please submit a Bugzilla report against the eCos ConfigTool (version
"CVS") using the instructions at:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/problemreport.html

I suspect that this issue is caused by a difference in behaviour between the
Windows-native and Cygwin versions of the Tcl library which we need to
accommodate either in the CDL library or in the eCos Configuration Tool
itself. It would be helpful if you could try accessing the remote
repository via a logical drive letter and add your conclusion to the bug
report.

Thank you for the feedback.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited