* [ECOS] license question
@ 2003-09-19 15:36 mbs
From: mbs @ 2003-09-19 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

reading the license it seems like one could pull an individual (or small
group) of files from the code base and wrap an application around it which
makes use of the functionality provided in those files and the surrounding
application would not become subject to the license, only any changes made
to the actual files themselves would need to be released.

is this correct?

see:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/license-overview.html

--
/**************************************************\
**     Mark Salisbury     ||       mbs@mc.com     **

* Re: [ECOS] license question
@ 2003-09-20 20:32 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-09-20 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mbs; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:36:03AM -0400, mbs wrote:
> reading the license it seems like one could pull an individual (or small
> group) of files from the code base and wrap an application around it which
> makes use of the functionality provided in those files and the surrounding
> application would not become subject to the license, only any changes made
> to the actual files themselves would need to be released.
>
> is this correct?

Yes. The exception which eCos makes to the standard GPL license means
that the GPL does not spread from eCos files to application
files. This is need because some people writing commercial software
want to keep there application close sourced. The standard GPL would
not allow that.

    Andrew