* [ECOS] Sound Cards
@ 2003-10-08  1:12 Eric Bryan
From: Eric Bryan @ 2003-10-08  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am interested in using ECOS on a PC base for a music server.  I need to drive multiple sound cards but have been unable to find drivers for ECOS.  Are there any available?  If not, how difficult is it to port them from Linux?

Thanks!

Eric Bryan

* Re: [ECOS] Sound Cards
@ 2003-10-08  7:29 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-10-08  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bryan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 06:12:15PM -0700, Eric Bryan wrote:

> I am interested in using ECOS on a PC base for a music server.  I
> need to drive multiple sound cards but have been unable to find
> drivers for ECOS.  Are there any available?  If not, how difficult
> is it to port them from Linux?

Sound is not a normal requirement for an embedded system. There are no
drivers that i know of.

For a linux port, you not only need the driver, but also the
frameworks, ie ALSA or OSS. It sounds like a lot of work. The other
problem is that the Linux code will probably be GPL, where as eCos is
a modified GPL. You should understand the difference before you decide
if you want to do this. Search the archives for more information.

   Andrew